for backyard shapers, glassing with uv

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

diggerdickson
barnacle

for backyard shapers, glassing with uv

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:58 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTpq5tsMkMo

guys, for the shapers that know your stuff, would love your thoughts on this video series, it looks good as a instruction video for me, please give your opinions on this as I am going to glass and will use this as a guide in the future.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Re: for backyard shapers, glassing with uv

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:29 pm

Pretty much sums it up, DD.

Only difference we would do is to use a brush on the underside of the laps to make sure they are nice and flat. Once again work from the middle of the board. You can also redirect some of the glass strands so they are closer to the cut edge. This just makes it a bit easier to take that (cut) edge down prior to glassing the deck i.e. smooth transition.

Use freezer bags on your hands when you want to flip or handle the board, this will minimise any handling marks. Just put a hand top and bottom and flip.

If working with solid coloured (opaque) decals you may need to do with normal resin & catalyst.

Excellent product. Once, myself and Rich made a 9' mal from start (including hand shaping) to finish in one day.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:58 pm

I will only be working with black and white decals, will I need a catalyst for this

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:56 am

diggerdickson wrote:I will only be working with black and white decals, will I need a catalyst for this
Depends on the area they cover. Think along the lines of will UV be able to get under the decal.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:05 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
diggerdickson wrote:I will only be working with black and white decals, will I need a catalyst for this
Depends on the area they cover. Think along the lines of will UV be able to get under the decal.

ahhh, I get it ric, cheers

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:47 am

ordering the steel for my glassing stands, heaps excited to get them done up. Now gotta watch some vids on installing fcs as well :D

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:32 pm

diggerdickson wrote:ordering the steel for my glassing stands, heaps excited to get them done up. Now gotta watch some vids on installing fcs as well :D
You might need some help with that one (FCS), DD. Their tools and jigs aren't exactly readily available.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:27 pm

I have been advised by the missus that Im not allowed to get the glassing stands till early feb, damn it :evil: More waiting and it know looks like I wont be able to get my boards done till after australia day, dissapionted is not a word that I can use at the moment :evil:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:59 pm

digger do you need the steel?
Could you knock up something like this? :
http://www2.swaylocks.com/node/1020090
if you check out the pics it looks cheap and easy to build, you've obviously got some technical/practical skill.

then if it's no good you haven't wasted much, but you'll have something to glass on before australia day...

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:19 pm

alakaboo wrote:digger do you need the steel?
Could you knock up something like this? :
http://www2.swaylocks.com/node/1020090
if you check out the pics it looks cheap and easy to build, you've obviously got some technical/practical skill.

then if it's no good you haven't wasted much, but you'll have something to glass on before australia day...

The place im going to glass in my tiny shed, which will let no uv light in, is a long way from my carport. I mean a fairly long way. If I was just shaping and glassing out of the carport then yes I could have nocked up something like that, not as pretty but im sure i couldve done something. Its too heavy to take the stands to the shed so I think I will put things on hold till after the family holiday. Then buy some steel, hire a mig and do some welding :wink: On the plus side it gives me time to really set up the shed bloody well, save some money for glass and resign, I wanna design some different labels, nothing as big as what I got, just smaller stuff, and save for a second hand compressor and air gun.

Its just dissapionting (saying that in the nicest way possible) that I wont have the boards ready for australia day, but thats okay, gotta stay positive, get set up right first time and I will be right.... :D

My boys principal at school has seen the board Ive shaped without glass and is stocked with it, as I aim to make one for the school for primary age kids as a giveaway so they can raffle it off to raise money. I love having dreams....and hopefully getting some young grommet on his first fiberglass board just like my little boy noah...

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:35 pm

DD, if you have a saw horse or 2 you could modify them to do the job, they must have some el cheapos at Bunnings. You can also use spray stands to 'expose' the board, just make sure the board is elevated enough that the glass/resin isn't touching the surface prior to flipping (run some masking tape over any surface that might come in contact).

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:41 pm

i talk ross....he'll lend me his mig...i'll weld em for u.

he drinks pure blond :idea:

leave the steel out the front if i'm not home
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?