Fin design: Whistling Fins - Bad?

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

Cales

Fin design: Whistling Fins - Bad?

Post by Cales » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:48 pm

What's the deal with whistling fins?!

I have two boards that have whistling fins. It's a high pitched whistle and is quite loud really.

The first, a fish I glassed myself and put speeedfins on whistles when racing down the line,

My other board, a standard shortboard from haydenshapes, has now started to whistle since i added Carbon KFins to it on the weekend...same deal, trimming...put significant weight on them and they stop...they're both very stiff sets of fins compared with say G5's which are pretty flexy

I'm thinking this must be bad thing in terms of the way water is flowing over these fins in terms of efficiency.

It seems reasonable that some sort of turbulence must be causing them to resonate at a very high frequency, which i think is a bad thing...water should be flowing smoothly over them in an ideal world...

Anyone out there with similar experiences? and, got any ideas of what exactly causes this (stiffness-foil etc)? One of my mates reckons his galssed in fins hum...

Perhaps wax along the base might even dampen it out and let the fin perform its duty without vibrating itself silly?

stretch
regular

Post by stretch » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:52 pm

ive had em in the past and just put it down to shoddy workmanship.......only ever happened to me with glass ins. ..check the alignment and their positioning.

stuey

Post by stuey » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:07 pm

If dey are wolf whistles I wanna set!