Fiji Quiver

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

ledge71
Local

Fiji Quiver

Post by ledge71 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:07 pm

I'm off to Fiji next October (for my 40th). Great I hear you all say! Well, you're right. My problem is I'm not sure what to make for the big trip. So I'm here for some advice. I weigh about 75KG, am 5'8 tall and would class myself as a good surfer but nowhere near a stand out or pro.

I've got the first one sorted out:

1: 5'10 Quad. The type I ride 90% of the time at home and here on the sucky reefies in PNG.

I'm just not sure what to take for if it really pumps. It's been a long time since I've surfed REAL 8ft surf, and to be honest I'm not sure how I'd go, but shit, if I turn up somewhere and it's perfect 8ft, I'm going to have to go out and I want to make sure I'm equipped for the job! I just can't decide what to make! I was thinking around 6'6?

I also want to take a back up board and I'm thinking of around 6'3 in case either of the other boards break and I need a backup that can handle both sizes?

Any advice?
Everyone has to pay their reef taxes!

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Re: Fiji Quiver

Post by Donweather » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:53 pm

I'd be thinking that a 6'6" is probably a little undergunned on 8ft reefs Ledge?....particularly in Fiji where if it's 8ft, it'll have some serious period to it, hence some reasonable speed in the deep water wave, thus I'd be thinking a 6'8" rounded pin (even a quad!!) should go damn fine....but of course peops like Mark will have a much better opinion on boards than myself.

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:26 pm

How many are you going to take?
Are you going to surf large Cloudbreak or Namotu?

If it was me i'd take a 6'2 (normal board), 6'6" and a 6'9"
that would get me into waves ranging from 2' to 8' fairly well

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:08 am

Quad for sure. 6'8 is probably a good idea. Surfing Matanvusi. Shifties, Fiji pipe, frigates etc.

I was thinking about the 6 foot+ board but my 5'10 handles some pretty solid and heavy waves over here in png so I'm pretty confident that it will be okay over there. Rounded pin also sounds like the go. October is so far away
Everyone has to pay their reef taxes!

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:50 pm

I reckon you're definitely gunna need a 6'8" for waves like Frigates where you'll need to cover a lot of ground. The slabbier waves will be good for your shorter boards that will fit in better, probably similar to what you ride in PNG. Regardless you want them to be good paddlers, the waves come in out of very deep water, and stand up hard.

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:38 pm

If you get Frigates on a proper day then you will need a fair bit of surfboard under your feet. Take a proper gun with length and some volume. Big fast moving waves, open faces and powerful bowls. The current can really move too so paddling advantage is really handy. I have surfed all the other waves out of Waidroka and regular shortboard should be fine for that.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:26 pm

mini-simmons and a finless for sure..... :roll:

fiji pipe, is that Kongs ??? I really like the look of that place, seen some pics when I was over there but didnt have the time to go that way as had the family with me, maybe another time...Is it the right time of year for it to work in Oct ?, be good to get it doing its business.... 8)