My new project

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

diggerdickson
barnacle

Re: My new project

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:26 pm

more photos, hopefully I dont bore you to death, again a thankyou to dan for the resizing, hope everyone up here has scored some good surf, im hoping it builds a little tonight and it might be enough for my fabled and fickle point to turn on the goods for a early surf tommorow
noah wanted to do some sanding of the lap.jpg
noah was desperate to help and wear the mask so I gave him a sanding pad and let him sand the lap down near the tail, it kept him busy for 10 minutes, a million questions later and he got bored and did something else, but he gets off on helping make his surfboard with dad
noah wanted to do some sanding of the lap.jpg (24.24 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
pass the power tool please.jpg
enough hand sanding for a while, gotta love a power tool
pass the power tool please.jpg (30.79 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
Attachments
what I used for the fin.jpg
this is what I used to glass in the fin, hot mix, then rovings, then painted the glass and placed in placed, rubbed out flat and made sure no bubbles.
what I used for the fin.jpg (28.3 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
fin taped up.jpg
fin set with a hot mix on board and fin, then taped into place awaiting to be glassed in
fin taped up.jpg (21.3 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
sanding the lap.jpg
sanding the lap.jpg (29.9 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
noah again.jpg
noah again.jpg (30.44 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:30 pm

after I glassed the fin in and let it set, checked it out and decided not enough rovings were used, so over the next few days will sand down mess from the fin, add 4 rovings either side to add up to 8 each side then glass on with the glass going half way up the fin, might even get to hotcoat board if its sunny on tuesday as I have tuesday off, but first will have to buy some acetone to clean up the board a bit.

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Sun May 08, 2011 6:47 pm

Can't wait for a ride report. Talk about being meticulous -I reckon it'll have to go well.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:25 pm

filler coat done, will post pics soon, went to lam my other project, set up the shed, blocked out the light so I could use uv, heated up resign in hot water bucket and mixed in sunblock.

Then i got the missus to shut up the shed and yup, just about black, one thing I forget to do was set up a light, my missus couldnt hear me so I ended up glassing in the dark, and yes, I stuff it :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: at least my boys board has come out good, now that Im banned from the carport might have to wait till I move premises before I can do more glassing, set up is just no good. :( Though I could hang a torch somewhere, that should give enough light to see a bit better, will try that tommorow

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:44 pm

filler coat, it turned out damn well, just need to sand now
Attachments
phpKznIEUPM.jpg
phpUEY89TPM.jpg

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:04 pm

finished the final sand and have placed it in noahs room for him to look at, he is totally stocked and am looking forward to starting surfing with him in the next two weeks.

I have to thank huei and margaret for all the help they gave me, and also tim for his help and yorky for allowing me to watch him glass and hotcoat a board so that I had some idea of what to do, thanks so much guys.

Now for the next experiment, have to get it shaped by my next holidays in september

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:51 pm

diggerdickson wrote: Now for the next experiment, have to get it shaped by my next holidays in september
Has it got anything to do with that channelled craft in the corner?

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:08 pm

Quangers wrote:
diggerdickson wrote: Now for the next experiment, have to get it shaped by my next holidays in september
Has it got anything to do with that channelled craft in the corner?

Its gonna be a twinny quangers, I think I will have the skill to shape the channels in but no chance in hell of glassing em, so whats the point at the moment mate, Im gonna keep praticing channels for sure during down time, got lots of foam to hack into but not ready to glass something like that yet. :( Need a few more boards glassed before I can think of that as last board I done didnt turn out well, could have something to do with glassing it in the dark ( long story there but I have to tell ya, when you cant see to well it aint easy) :oops: :oops:

Looking at around 6.4 x 19.5 x 2 5/8, flat deck for a lifetime friend around 90kg, but not sure yet, plenty of reading to do tonight to get some thoughts around this