New fish

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Re: New fish

Post by Davros » Fri May 06, 2011 11:23 am

Thanks guys, hmmm might just get some floor sanding grade rough paper on the sanding disk, whack on the drill and start ploughing. Wish me luck.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri May 06, 2011 11:37 pm

beerfan, took car to mechanic today as fan belt needed replacing, 630 bucks later and dont think I will be getting anything for my hobby in quite a while :cry:
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat May 07, 2011 4:21 pm

Davros, dont use a drill with sanding attachment, it will give you lumps mate, honestly. I would jsut use the sureform, and just put up with a thicker than normal board. Get the bottom flat ( 35mm x 75mm pine in a length that is wider than your board with sandpaper glued to the bottom, preferably one long sheet ), then use the surform to rough out rails ( mark them out, even if only roughly ), then blend with shaping screen/guaze ( shapersaustralia/ surfblanks ). Then fine sand with a soft piece of foam with 180 grit. Then ya ready to glass. That's very rough, but for your first will give you an idea of the process.

Digger, you shouldnt've opted for the gold plated fan belt!!!. 630 for a fan belt? Does it run through the cylinder head? hahah. Bloody cars!!

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sat May 07, 2011 5:13 pm

Thanks Beerfan appreciate

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Sat May 07, 2011 10:17 pm

diggerdickson wrote:beerfan, took car to mechanic today as fan belt needed replacing, 630 bucks later and dont think I will be getting anything for my hobby in quite a while :cry:
Sure it wasn't a timing belt?

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun May 08, 2011 6:05 pm

ended up being fan belt, timing belt, airconditioning belt, and a few other things

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue May 10, 2011 12:58 pm

hey beerfan, just cut in my first deep 6 channel on a broken board to give it a go and pratice, it went good, just need a few more broken boards to pratice on before I hack into a new blank. A six channel will soon be mine, give me a year and I will have one made

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue May 10, 2011 4:40 pm

diggerdickson wrote:ended up being fan belt, timing belt, airconditioning belt, and a few other things
Holy duckshit Batman!
But, yeah. If it's got 100,000 klms up (or 90,000 for the Hyundais), that's about right.
The timing belt's where all the labour is. It's sensible to replace the others because they come off to get at the timing belt.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:19 pm

Beerfan wrote:Davros, dont use a drill with sanding attachment, it will give you lumps mate, honestly. I would jsut use the sureform, and just put up with a thicker than normal board. Get the bottom flat ( 35mm x 75mm pine in a length that is wider than your board with sandpaper glued to the bottom, preferably one long sheet ), then use the surform to rough out rails ( mark them out, even if only roughly ), then blend with shaping screen/guaze ( shapersaustralia/ surfblanks ). Then fine sand with a soft piece of foam with 180 grit. Then ya ready to glass. That's very rough, but for your first will give you an idea of the process.

Digger, you shouldnt've opted for the gold plated fan belt!!!. 630 for a fan belt? Does it run through the cylinder head? hahah. Bloody cars!!
Thanks for the tips..I actually followed them and during the process of completing the board i realise the mistakes i would have made. I shaped the board with a saw, sureform, 3 grades of sandpaper, an upside down ironing board for shaping racks and a long neck with sand paper around it to finish my nose and a hired router from Kennards. I used a good blank Surfblanks Red (super white and strong). Manged to get a single to double concave into a it and routed the fins without to much issue and f*ck me its not a bad looking. Had a mate of mate of a bloke in the local surfshop glass it (4oz x 2 on top 1 x 4 oz bottom). And even got a few nice board who made it in the car park and I was more embarrassed than proud (I dont think they were being sacrastic and super whiteness with sweet 7.5 fin out the back looks ok, so glad they didnt look to close). Its a 6'4 x 21 x 2 3/4 thump tail, 2+1 with a Flex fin in back for 1-4 ft waves (70's Eggy based design but pulled the nose in a bit).Best of all it goes really well because I expected a dog and a half. Very rewarding.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:12 pm

Im so stoked for you davros, cant wait to see some pics mate. So what plans have you got for your next build mate

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:42 am

Mate I reckon shaping the board was easier than loading up a photo. Will have a crack.

Thinking fat quad next for end spring/summer...

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:44 pm

Awesome davros!, make sure you put pics up too.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:13 pm

005yd.jpg
Finished on Rug

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:11 pm

nice mate, very very nice :D :D

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:25 am

Hell yeah its nice!!

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:43 am

Thanks guys - saw a planer at Bunnings for around 100 and will be buying next time to save on time, shoulders, hand cramps, chipped stringers, swearing, crying, praying etc.....

Forgot to mention I included a slight hip in the tail around side bites and is bit of a fun combo with the area of the thump tail and the flex fin. Could have spent more time thinning the nose but thats for next time.

Thanks again for the advice guys, saved me a lot of heart ache I reckon. Whack up your new boards when you get em sorted and any additional tips for those learning to accumulate dust.