New fish

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Re: New fish

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:18 pm

I'm excited to hear the ride reports. What number of fins, and what fin placement are you going to use?
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:44 pm

keels !!! With the rear edge 7" from the tail. 1/8'' toe, and because im using probox, the cant is adjustable ( as well as back and forth movement in the box ), though 4deg to start with, then i'll try my 6deg inserts. I have 4 sets of keels, all different, from big boomers, to smaller more "modern" versions, so the cant will depend on which ones im using.

Cheers

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:36 pm

When's the next realsurf bbq... you should bring it along when it's ready mate.

How far south are you?
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:39 am

Been busy with reno's, and have had to spend time and money on my kegs as well ( a gas poppet went, so i lost almost a full bottle, d'oh!! ), but soon im going to be ordering my glass and resin. Trying to get some proboxes, as im a big fan of the boxes and also the fins. I want this to be ready for summer.

Jet, im not far past Wollongong.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:27 pm

Well, i finally ordered the shit, so i'll have all i need to glass it by the end of the week. Hopefully in the next few weeks it'll happen. Probably not, but it should be ready for the summer slop we'll get. Went the UV resin.

huie
Local

Post by huie » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:56 pm

uv for dummys + a trick or two

if you want any info lets know

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:03 pm

Lammed it yesterday, here's some pics.

On the right in the last pic is my brewery stuff. Grains,boilers,mash tun, etc, and if you look hard you'll see some bottles, some of them are full of 8.7% belgian blonde. Trying to leave it, but not winning the battle!!

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:36 pm

So how's your board going?
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:41 am

Going good. Very surprised at how it holds in hollow take offs, especially backhand. I think its just so short its very hard to nose dive, coz there's not much nose!!. Still getting used to feet placement, which seems pretty crucial, maybe coz its so small?. A wide stance seems best so far. Loads of fun in under head high hollow waves.

It paddles pretty good too, though sometimes catching waves can be tricky, as you have to remember to get right up near the nose, feels like you're gunna nose dive, but, like i said, very rarely nose dive.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon May 02, 2011 6:43 pm

Since the last post i have added more of a hard edge, reasonably hard in the tail, to sort of hard 1/3 up from the tail. Seemed to help it release better. I've just today added some twinzer style lead fins. I had a similar setup on my twin keel, which went very well ( my all time fave board ). Will update when i get to try it.

Lead fins ( 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 ) are 1'' outboard from the leading edge of the main keel ( no toe, 6deg cant ), with 1/4 toe, and 5deg cant.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon May 02, 2011 10:17 pm

hey beerfan, you cant help but experiment hey, cant wait for the ride report
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue May 03, 2011 7:02 pm

Hey digger i had a keel fish, that i added those same fins to a few years ago. Roughly the same place/same idea. It made a big difference. Best board i ever had, not bad considering it was the 2nd board i'd made. I think the theory works, the small fins break up the water flow for the big fin, which reduces drag in the main fin, which means top speed straight away, and good release. On a good day i could get my twin keel almost vert, once or twice on my backhand. Im hoping for similar results!!.

You riding your boards yet??

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Wed May 04, 2011 7:07 am

Looks awesome. I', jealous, I just need a house with a proper shed and I'd love to have a crack at doing this stuff.

You doing full mashes with your brewing?

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed May 04, 2011 2:21 pm

Money is holding me back beerfan. I have to get some acetone to clean up the board before I hotcoat it. I was keen to have a go at glassing on the fin, the first attempt was a bit messy and I sanded it all back and gave it a go a second time, got it okay this time, not perfect and clean but good for first attempt. With my other board, money is holding me back as well, want to get glass for her and set up a 5 fin system to experiment, will take time, then looking at making a asymetrical for myself as well plus more tiny eggs. Can you get some video of you and how your board goes mate, would be interesting to see. :D

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu May 05, 2011 5:24 am

Same here mate, im saving for money to finish huies egg. About to move so wont be spending anything for a while, and i need to set up in the new house. No shed so have to be the garage. The missus won't mind, not!.

Video of me surfing? No one needs to be subjected to that haha

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu May 05, 2011 3:08 pm

Guys can you recommend an alternative to the electric planner, any brand of hand plane?

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu May 05, 2011 4:23 pm

Davros wrote:Guys can you recommend an alternative to the electric planner, any brand of hand plane?
unfortunately im not the guy with the answers here, maybe a surefoam, Ive heard of guys just handsanding, not sure how a hand plane would go, someone else should be able to answer that, an electric planer dont cost that much and truly is your friend.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri May 06, 2011 10:03 am

surform, but f*ck me your shoulders will get sore!. Im a noob with the planer, but i think its worth using, especially roughing out the rails bands.

Surfed it ( as well as my 9'1) this morning in chest high waves. Top speed straight away, and very easy to turn, maybe too easy. Waves weren't great, but when i did get on a bit of face it was fast and loose as a goose. Still think the round tail robs it of some drive ( compared to a straight outline in the tail like a fish/simms ), but its a fun board for sure. Im a believer in the theory of twinzer type setups.