6'6'' egg

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

Beerfan

Re: 6'6'' egg

Post by Beerfan » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:27 am

CHeers guys. Damo, what fin setup is your egg? Im pretty sure im gunna go 2+1. I just got an 8'' flex fin i think will work well in it.

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:28 am

Mine is just a single only, but has very hard rails all the the way to the nose which I think helps a bit with hold.
At this stage I havent felt the need to consider putting sidebites in it.

I was using a 7" dolphin which was OK, and have also just put an 8" flex in it (yet to be surfed).

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:34 am

I've got a similar shape Beerfan (from Huie), and it's a quad.
Designed a bit more for performance than glide, but it runs well in the fat stuff.
Surfs so much better than you'd expect from a big wide board. Probably the board that allows me to surf most evenly forehand or backhand.Image

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:28 am

Very nice egg boo!. I'll bet it is tonnes of fun. Under rated shape the ole egg. Im going the single/2+1 with mine, but in the future i'd like to buy/build one with more rocker and a thruster setup for the same reasons, a bit more versatility and performance in average waves.

Is it light boo??

kookster
regular

Post by kookster » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:49 am

Boo is that a big single concave all the way through into vee at fins?
Happiness is wanting everything you have.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:41 pm

Beerfan wrote:Very nice egg boo!. I'll bet it is tonnes of fun. Under rated shape the ole egg. Im going the single/2+1 with mine, but in the future i'd like to buy/build one with more rocker and a thruster setup for the same reasons, a bit more versatility and performance in average waves.

Is it light boo??
Yeah, I dig the shape. This is based off a design about 50 years old, with modern contours and a slightly changed nose

I don't weigh boards, so don't have numbers for you, but it feels like it would if it was glassed like a regular shortboard rather than the heavier job you'd expect on most eggs.
It's got a super light core, balanced out by the composite stuff. Bloody strong too, I landed on the bottom after falling from the lip of a 4 footer. Stuffed my foot, no damage to the board at all.
kookster wrote:Boo is that a big single concave all the way through into vee at fins?
there's a lot going on, Kookster.
Had to get the spirit level out to check exactly what's going on, and I've got no idea how it was blended together! All I know is the water likes it.

There's a slightly hullish entry back to the first logo, then moderate single back to the second logo. The gloss makes the single look a bit deeper than it is.
Increasing and quite pronounced vee from there through the fins, deepest between the front fins and back to flat behind the rear fins.

huie
Local

Post by huie » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:47 pm

:roll:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:14 pm

huie wrote::roll:
OK, why the eyes, H?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:30 pm

I didn't get it quite right. Huie corrected me but then deleted his post.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:34 pm

alakaboo wrote:I didn't get it quite right. Huie corrected me but then deleted his post.
Aha, so it's your fault. :twisted:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:10 pm

as charged.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:43 am

Have ordered glass, resin and a box. Hope to get it done in a few weeks. I have an 8'' dolphin, and also an 8'' soulflex fin for it. Eggcited!!

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:02 am

Started glassing today. I pulled a loose strand, which was much bigger than i thought, and got a kink :evil: , but other than that, it went well. Im much more comfortable glassing, than shaping. I find it ( besides the smell obviously ) relaxing in a stressful kind of way. That makes no sense at all i know.

The pigment came out much lighter than i'd expected too. Way lighter. It was quite dark in the pot, but once on, it was much lighter. I got a few streaks too, which was annoying, as i stirred that shit for like 10 minutes solid. Shouldn't need much sanding for the deck. Kinda eggcited now :)

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:10 pm

Needs a very good sand haha, but getting there. Im glad i live a long way from the bloke who sent me the template, he'd be embarrassed to say the least. My abilities are... crude haha. Hoping this'll replace the longboard ( sure has enough volume! ) for small fat summer waves. Then i can sell the lb and get another jd!

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:41 pm

had a fun surf on mine this morning, in very un-fun surf.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:13 am

Im jealous of you mate, such a sweet board!!

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:26 pm

Should have the resin I need by the weekend. Ready for a 2nd hotcoat ( first kind of,seperated, never happened before ), and then a quick and and leash plug, and it'll be ready. Should be fun in upcoming summer junk. Will fit better in the corolla too!!

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:32 am

It's a revolutionary new fin setup, its called a 4-3 haha. I kept it as a single. Purely coz i couldn't be arsed doing more plugs. Never really ridden a wide tailed single ( or i can't remember anyway ), my mal has a 14'' tail, and 10" fin so doesn't really count, but i have an 8'' fin for it, and i did the "lay the fin over on the bottom of the board, to see if the tip overhangs the rail" trick, and it overhangs well, so it shouldn't slip out. Unless its surfed in hollow waves, but that's not what this board is for, so it shouldn't be an issue. This is going to mostly be an under head high fat wave cruiser. A tiny mal. Who am i kidding, i have no idea what it'll be like haha , have to wait til i surf it

Im working like a dog in the next few weeks, so i hope to at least get it done, and if a miracle happens i may even get it wet before xmas. Will give a ride report.