AN APOLOGY

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

diggerdickson
barnacle

AN APOLOGY

Post by diggerdickson » Thu May 27, 2010 10:25 am

Im here to eat humble pie, Mr Beerfan kindly lent me shaping 101 and glassing dvds, Ive watched them 100's of times and didnt get around to sending them back till today, he asked a month ago but I just stuffed up. I gotta say thanks Beerfan and Im sorry I took so long to send em back mate. :oops:
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Grooter
Duke Status

Re: AN APOLOGY

Post by Grooter » Thu May 27, 2010 10:49 am

Well thanks for letting us all know how much you suck at returning things you borrow :D
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu May 27, 2010 10:53 am

Thats cool hatchman, at least I can admit I suck at it, but hey, Im not one of those people who dont even bother to send em back, not like some other asseholes out there Ive lent my stuff to over the years................ :roll:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu May 27, 2010 12:57 pm

beery is cool, he may have even taken a while to return fins or possibly even lost one in his time too...hahah, all good , shite happens.....it is really cool that people lend stuff to absolute strangers ( well never met face to face usually ) so they can try stuff, should be more of it... 8)

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Thu May 27, 2010 1:01 pm

Mental note - don't lend anything to digger, especially not my missus... :P
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu May 27, 2010 5:56 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:Mental note - don't lend anything to digger, especially not my missus... :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ive heard yourve got a new board caveman, can I have a lend for a while, promise I will return via tradesman time.......... :twisted:

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri May 28, 2010 5:43 am

Mate, don't worry, no drama's at all :D . Shit mark, that reminds me !!

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri May 28, 2010 1:13 pm

Beerfan wrote:Mate, don't worry, no drama's at all :D . Shit mark, that reminds me !!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ahhh, that makes me feel better :lol: :lol: :lol:

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Fri May 28, 2010 5:22 pm

Thanks for letting us all be entertained by your public self-flagellation :lol:

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri May 28, 2010 11:09 pm

diggerdickson wrote:
Cpt.Caveman wrote:Mental note - don't lend anything to digger, especially not my missus... :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ive heard yourve got a new board caveman, can I have a lend for a while, promise I will return via tradesman time.......... :twisted:
Mate I'm happy to meet for a wave if u want a go. Cronulla is a little haven on the weekend, send me a p m if keen. It's a super fun board

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat May 29, 2010 9:02 am

chrisb wrote:Thanks for letting us all be entertained by your public self-flagellation :lol:
and now a wiggly community service announcement................ GO FUCK YOURSELF :roll:

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:59 am

By the sounds of things i should buy a lotto ticket...

I got talking to a guy in the surf at boneyards a few months ago about those shapers x-rated fins I bought. He'd just bought a set of the size 5's and thinking of buying the size 7's but wasn't sure if they were going to work for him or not as he's a bit of a light weight. Not knowing him from a bar of soap I lent him a spare set of 7's that i bought.
The guy's a plumber from Engadine of all places ;) so here i was thinking... i'll never see those again.
But sure enough a month later we met up at cronulla one evening so he could return my fins.
We still try and meet up for a surf every now and again. Good bloke.
As it turns out, he didn't like them so I saved him a bit of cash which was good.
I'm with you Mark... there should be more of it...

Question/Opinions please:

When it comes to lending boards, what's the general consensus when it comes to a snapped/damaged board?
For example... You and a mate are surfing close-outs at your local beachy practicing some floaters. You've been trading waves with your mate for about an hour and decide to swap boards for a while. You try out your mates' 9'6 and snap.
Which is the correct course of action?
option a: You say to your mate"Sorry man, guess you started it's demise with the previous 25 floaters you just did, you are 6'3 and 95kg after all"
option b: Have it repaired at your cost.
option c: Complete repair by replacement as it'll never be the same again.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun May 30, 2010 12:26 pm

option "d" I didn't like that mate anyway. :lol:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun May 30, 2010 12:32 pm

if ya doin closeout floaters on a 9'6", then it is likely it'll break or crease ( if the waves have some power and size that is )...I reckon if ya mate lends ya a board like that and he knows you are doin floaters on closeouts, then he should deal with it if it gets damaged, unless ya make a bit of a deal beforehand like " if ya damage it, you fix it "...thats the deal with some of my mates when the borrow boards to try...they get them professionally repaired if they do any damage.....or swing me the dosh.....but in saying that, I enjoy swapping boards and seeing others ride diff shapes so it shouldnt stop becase of the possibility of a ding but just done with some common sense....... 8)

FISH

Post by FISH » Sun May 30, 2010 7:00 pm

break it you own it

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun May 30, 2010 11:03 pm

I aint got an answer on that one, suppose it would have to happen to me then I would just play it by ear and be guided by my conscience.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon May 31, 2010 9:51 am

JET01 wrote:When it comes to lending boards, what's the general consensus when it comes to a snapped/damaged board?
same as prids, you gotta set the ground rules..
i've got different rules for my different boards and my surf buddies. i.e. if my brother snaps my thruster, no drama. though chances are they'd fix it anyway because they used to work in surf shops and can get it done properly and cheaply..
if my mate dings my single-fin, he fixes it or buys it.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon May 31, 2010 11:33 am

If they did something silly to break it - they pay for it.

I generally keen an eye on them and let them know the rules if they're going to try going hard.

For example, a mate of mine wanted to borrow a board for a heavy reef ledge that broke a few meters from dry rocks and would often close-out on the inside section in front of the rocks. I said to him "mate, keep in mind that if you snap that board you're going to have to pay for it. I won't have a board to surf bigger or decent waves if you snap it".

I'm not being a prude, I just can't afford to buy board after board anymore :\