Widowmaker

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

Chillin
charger

Widowmaker

Post by Chillin » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:15 am

There was an article in a recent SW where Wayne Lynch was talking about widowmakers. Apparently a single fin design with two really small side fins on the rail. Anyone know where i can get such a small side fin? Im interested in trying the idea out.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

Wingnut
regular

Re: Widowmaker

Post by Wingnut » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:36 pm

Hey Nikko,

Basically you just use side bites similar to what's on a longboard, try some FCS G-L's or G-X's.

http://www.finshop.com.au/Products?Prod ... Fin-Layout
http://www.joshdowlingshape.com/customt ... eller.html

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:28 pm

Sweet, thanks wingnut, any clues as to location?

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:29 am

Probably best to speak to Josh (Speedneedle) for that info...

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:01 pm

hey chillin, the Widowmaker is a design developed by Dave Parmenter for medium to large surf. Side fins are a bit smaller than GXs. I think Parmenter gave Lynchy the idea on one of his recreational visits to western Vicco. The board is basically an advanced single-fin that surfs typically very clean, excellent tuberider, wants to be surfed in sweeping lines and in the pocket. I had a lovely 7'0" pintail but snapped it in HI a few years ago.

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:36 pm

Anything like this? From the movie Hot Buttered Soul
H.B 1.jpg
H.B 2.jpg
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:27 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:hey chillin, the Widowmaker is a design developed by Dave Parmenter for medium to large surf. Side fins are a bit smaller than GXs. I think Parmenter gave Lynchy the idea on one of his recreational visits to western Vicco. The board is basically an advanced single-fin that surfs typically very clean, excellent tuberider, wants to be surfed in sweeping lines and in the pocket. I had a lovely 7'0" pintail but snapped it in HI a few years ago.
Yep, defo what i'm into NC, the board at the mo is a 6'3" pintail single that surf pretty good, long carves a speciality. That article is the one i read, it seems like Dave re-lit Wayne's love of that style of surfing. Being an old carnt has its advantages, It means I can surf something different without feeling like iv got something to prove. I'll post a pic asap, after I PM Speedy for some specs/dims

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:36 pm

I have to say Nic is spot on with his description of how the widowmakers handle, mine loves the nice sweeping turns, the pocket and has great down the line speed too. I'd like another maybe a foot or more shorter for something a bit different...

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:27 pm

The HButter above I think is a Drifta. I saw a guy ripping on one at Avalon, may have been one of Fitzgeralds offspring the way he was riding. No doubt they are cool looking boards. Neil Purchase Jr shapes several boards with a similar fin set ups close to a widowmaker. Mick Mackie will make version of the widowM as I'm looking at getting one, and it aint bad value just quietly.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:52 pm

dinosaur wrote:So its a bonzer without the double concave? Or is there more to it than just the side fins?
Just a little wider tail so a bit more lift than a singly. Dave's ones have a really nice measured rocker and a slight flat vee through the back end, flattening at the tail. No Bonzer effect.

V different to the Drifta which was TF's response to the Thruster

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:11 pm

Chillin wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:hey chillin, the Widowmaker is a design developed by Dave Parmenter for medium to large surf. Side fins are a bit smaller than GXs. I think Parmenter gave Lynchy the idea on one of his recreational visits to western Vicco. The board is basically an advanced single-fin that surfs typically very clean, excellent tuberider, wants to be surfed in sweeping lines and in the pocket. I had a lovely 7'0" pintail but snapped it in HI a few years ago.
Yep, defo what i'm into NC, the board at the mo is a 6'3" pintail single that surf pretty good, long carves a speciality. That article is the one i read, it seems like Dave re-lit Wayne's love of that style of surfing. Being an old carnt has its advantages, It means I can surf something different without feeling like iv got something to prove. I'll post a pic asap, after I PM Speedy for some specs/dims
you dont have to be an old carnt to surf something different...my quiver consists of only things that are different....( unless 36 is old...probably is but I keep forgetting I aint 21 anymore..ha ha. ) :roll:

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:59 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:hey chillin, the Widowmaker is a design developed by Dave Parmenter for medium to large surf. .

would it also lend itself too point type waves :?: ...neither medium or large

i just note the description of the way they surf and can imagine them going well @ old kirra if that was your style :?
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:20 am

seems to be a bit of interest in this type of design recently.....it is a good crossover design for those who wanna ride a single and or a thruster.....and when the waves are solid, they really do the job...bit surprised you dont see more around really......

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:00 pm

a recent one ...its set up with a hand-foiled 7" single and also some small GL size side bites as an option....6'4" x 20" x 2 11/16" double concave .....

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:29 pm

I havn't bit the widowmaker cherry yet, because the board is sooo good as a single. A mate of mine pinched it at easter and absolutely ripped on it, here's some pics.

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:01 pm

I'm looking for a lightweight fin combo (2 +1) for my 6'6" widow maker, I was thinking of fins with either a foam core or wood.

Any suggestions?