introducing-THE MONGRAL

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

introducing-THE MONGRAL

Post by mustkillmulloway » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:40 pm

:D ...ok...straightup :arrow: this isn't a ad for more surfboards :!:

i want share this cause it's my new board at birth 8)

i'm really, no like , REALLY excited about it :D and ffs...if i can't get all goey about a new custom and share it on here :?:
quite clearly i'm on the wrong site :cry: or finally grown up or dead...all ...highly unlikly :lol: ( keep wishing)

lot going on ( ohhhhh the rocker mark :arrow: 8) ) ....lot more interesting stuff to come 8) bit the back basics with the v....love the old v :wink:

i think it good talk about my board???...not to promote mark ( stupid queenslander :lol: ..: ) but more show how much fun it is ordering a custom

from your local shaper or whoeva

the surfer /shaper relationship is part of this so called lost surfin soul :idea: that won't be found in a 7s made in chinna :idea:

so yeah...wat u think :?:
and...nah nah...i'm getting a new board :arrow: :mrgreen:

p.s he should called it a sick puppy...but the idea behind the mongral name will make sense if he cares explain it :arrow: :?:
Last edited by mustkillmulloway on Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

pridmore
Owl status

Re: introducing-THE MONGRAL

Post by pridmore » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:28 am

have made 3 for Fong now ( plus he has ridden few others of mine ), so I am starting to know what he wants ) and needs ( sometimes these 2 can be different for all customers )...Fong gives me plenty of info, like making a meal, he throws me all these different ingredients and says make me something really tasty...but still throws me more ingredients thru the whole meal making process, it is challenging but I like challenges... to plan this meal we had several face to face discussions, plenty e-mails but the things that made my decisions easier was 2 things, namely when we had fun waves together at my local beachy, saw him ride few diff shapes and even try my b-fly fins round the wrong way ( great stuff..), I got to see how he turned his board, what turns he goes for, his style, just everything became clearer and then when we had another chat and he shaowed me his fav sled, I took all the dims so it was just a matter of combining everything I had on paper and the knowledge of how he surfs....the waves werent that disimilar to what the newy will be predominantly used in either, so made it even easier.....
re the name "The Mongrel" came from the fact that this sled has a little bit of several of my designs, used my Fat-Bat tail curve ( minus the bat obviously ) , has a tweaked MP3 nose, the tail of Fongs' old yellow 6'10" thruster, and dims mostly taken from his old yella fish but modified slighty , so with elements of 4 or 5 shapes, I just nicknamed it the "Mongrel", seemed perfect, I guess all boards are mongrels really..... Anyways, the process of creating this meal has been put out there for others interested to see it, and be involved in if they want ( especially good if you havent ever had a custom board created for you ) - ( have had guys of 50 yrs old and surfed all their lives and never had a custom- but when they do they arent like 50 yr olds, they are like little kids and just stoked on being involved in the whole thing...)
so it continues, the next part of the meal is the glassing, he wants it super light but srong enough to ride often and not to sink up too quickly, I reckon 2 x 4 deck, 1 x 4 bottom, like to go lighter but think that is happy medium, been getting good strength from this lay up, especially when cured well...
And this is not an add for my shapes, if you think it is then you dont know how much I love boards and surfing.... 8)

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:33 am

Stop apologising guys.
This sort of stuff is great.
I read it all the time and am adding to my knowledge all the time by doing so.
Mind you there's a lot to learn.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:36 am

more ( oops, I mean additional- sorry for apoligising Trev, oops done it again mate, sorry..... :roll: )
learning to be done...wait til we get to the fins..... 8)

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:24 am

mustkillmulloway wrote:the surfer /shaper relationship is part of this so called lost surfin soul :idea: that won't be found in a 7s made in chinna :idea:
Woohoo, beautiful :!:
mustkillmulloway wrote:i think it good talk about my board???...not to promote mark ( stupid queenslander :lol: ..: ) but more show how much fun it is ordering a custom
It's so good feeling like a grom waiting for a new stick, infectious too :idea:

Board look good, pics are little on the small side to get a good look but I like the outline and the sound of the design. As if that matters to you hey Fong!
pridmore wrote:And this is not an add for my shapes, if you think it is then you dont know how much I love boards and surfing.... 8)
I've never considered what you post advertising Mark, ever.

Even if it was, who gives a fcuk? There's a lot more blatant advertising done by others here.

I'm with Trev, those with an interest can always learn something from these posts and I hope they continue.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:16 am

pridmore wrote: And this is not an add for my shapes, if you think it is then you dont know how much I love boards and surfing.... 8)
I don't doubt that one bit. I don't know anyone who wakes up at some ungodly hour only to brainstorm new shapes and ideas (let alone in other jobs/careers).

Keep em coming I say, it seems to be that time of year/month/whatever ;)

P.S. Tell us about the fins! and bottom contours!
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:16 am

Cpt.Caveman wrote:
P.S. Tell us about the fins! and bottom contours!
fins are :arrow: secret :mrgreen: for now

we have a light v in the nose...big flat bottom with v in the tail

i'm excited about how mark has combined the v in the tail with the rails 8)

very basic stuff because i'm not sold on concaves in really grovellly waves :?

i really like the feel of v in rail too rail transitions :idea:

marks done his own thing with the rocker....indeed i threw a heap ideas at him

and than just kinda let him do his own thing :idea:

whats everyone think about the glass? i'm keen go 1x6 on the deck and 1x4 on the bottom :idea:

but don't want end up in tears :( .....i have snap my fair share boards in the past :cry: :cry:

p.s i got go for a surf and than work....mark might have "more" :roll: time post up larger pics :?:

p.p.s i'm getting a new board...nah nah :P
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

dunnc
regular

Post by dunnc » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:39 am

Looks great, and this is the stuff that got me into this forum in the first place.

I'm interested in how it goes, as well as in the refinement process for the next one - what worked, what didn't and where the surprises were.

Oh yeah, I'm getting on in age so some bigger piccies wold be great :lol:

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:34 pm

Looks good Mark. I agree should suit the Fongolian well.

Good idea going with the flat bottom Fong. Think deep single concaves, put in flat wide boards, create more problems than they solve. Boards like this have inherent lift due to the planing area.

4X4 deck, with 4 bottom is as light as I ever go. When done right it is plenty light, and still reasonably strong.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:38 pm

Ahh fong Im jealous mate, makes me want to get a new custom from mark as well, gets the juices flowing reading about this sorta stuff, love the shape mate. The Mongrel, definately suits your ideas. When will you get it in your hands, cant wait to see it and look at what mark has done to the bottom of the board.

hope your getting a new leg rope thrown in, suppose you could just use one out of the shed for your first surf at nationals, whadda reckon fong
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:04 am

few shots that ya dont need a magnifying glass for ha ha....good to see pics but just bit small to see much.... 8)

I cant pua rabbit out of a hat but I sure can pull a hare outta my arse...... :roll:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:08 am

few shots that ya dont need a magnifying glass for ha ha....good to see pics but just bit small to see much.... 8)

I cant pull a rabbit out of a hat but I sure can pull a hare outta my arse...... :roll:

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:27 am

Get rid of the bear food and put this on;

If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:49 am

munch wrote:Get rid of the bear food and put this on;

oh yeah, the bears, I stopped watching league the day the bears left the arena. My pop played for the bears way back and my old man played grade cricket for them, I can remember as a young kid making trips to north sydney oval to watch the bears fight with manly, I do mean fight not play league, just fight, manly still suck and always will :D

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:17 am

Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:29 pm

I noticed fong its got a rounded nose, hey does that mean every wave is a party wave, I think so :twisted:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:47 pm

The Mongrel is ready......but someone accidentally sprayed some maroon stripes on it, so it is looking bit like a Broncos jersey, hope he dont mind..... :roll: :roll: :twisted: :P :lol:

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:55 pm

i heard someone just did a driveby on anga rd and shot dead a shaper ...if your right :x

anyone else looking forward too the game tommorrow nite :?: :arrow: 8)

http://www.nrl.com/newsviews/latestnews ... fault.aspx