Swinger with length...

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

pridmore
Owl status

Re: Swinger with length...

Post by pridmore » Sat May 29, 2010 10:56 am

good to hear its fun for you Trev...if Fong and Digger arent keen to give it a go, you just keep riding it mate and I will grab it off you soon, maybe in a week or 2......I dont mind havin it here in the quiver for when it is tiny ......have you tried it with the original fins I had in it ? that could be interesting..... 8)

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat May 29, 2010 3:38 pm

pridmore wrote:good to hear its fun for you Trev...if Fong and Digger arent keen to give it a go, you just keep riding it mate and I will grab it off you soon, maybe in a week or 2......I dont mind havin it here in the quiver for when it is tiny ......have you tried it with the original fins I had in it ? that could be interesting..... 8)
I'll try the original fins somewhere along the way.
Supposed to be flat for a week now. Hope they're wrong. 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat May 29, 2010 4:32 pm

pretty solid ( 3-6ft ) down here but seems to be fading this arvo......

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:49 am

How is it goin Trev , you still got it or has it moved on ??? I will be up the weekend after the Queens bday to collect it so hopefully it'll get some use up there before then.....If anyone is interested in owning it, I will sell it for really good price, just want enough to be able to do a another and to keep the design evolving with the feedback I have been given so far...the next one will be 9 ft so it is ok to go in a few mal comps...... 8)

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:06 pm

pridmore wrote:How is it goin Trev , you still got it or has it moved on ??? I will be up the weekend after the Queens bday to collect it so hopefully it'll get some use up there before then.....If anyone is interested in owning it, I will sell it for really good price, just want enough to be able to do a another and to keep the design evolving with the feedback I have been given so far...the next one will be 9 ft so it is ok to go in a few mal comps...... 8)
No surf since my last post. Hope to get some decent size from Sunday. :wink:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:48 pm

hey trev
i'm up in brisbane this weekend and there's an outside chance i'll get a surf on either sunday or tuesday morning.
will you be around, and will you still have the board? if it looks like i'll be able to pop up i'll send you a pm.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:27 am

I'll be up on the coast this Friday and hanging and surfing til Monday, might grab it then, and maybe catch up for a surf ...

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:53 pm

pridmore wrote:I'll be up on the coast this Friday and hanging and surfing til Monday, might grab it then, and maybe catch up for a surf ...
No pm from alakaboo.
I'll be around Mark.
Surfed it today at my point. Awesome waves, long walls, hollow and fast.
Board went great. Had 3 hours.
My number is still the same or pm me.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:54 am

sorry trev, i should have written next weekend, i.e. the long one.
and i'm not going to be able to make it now anyway. :(

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:06 am

alakaboo wrote:sorry trev, i should have written next weekend, i.e. the long one.
and i'm not going to be able to make it now anyway. :(
That's OK mate. I sort of figured that out eventually. We're bit slow up here. 8)
Esp after a 3 hour surf in which I hardly stopped paddling or riding. :lol:
Mark will be here on the long weekend and is picking up the board.
"thorny" one of the locals fro Shelley is riding it as I write. Hope to get it back this afternoon.
Beanpole

Skipper

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:17 pm

I've been riding the swinger every day. Als lent it to a couple of other guys for a try.
But I have to say it's an impressively different board.
The good side of it all is that I'm drawing plenty of favourable comments about my riding of it.
Ledge71 has been away working in PNG for a month and he tried it before he left and rode it well. He was back this morning and was impressed with the way I had it going.
So, what is it good for being essentially a hybrid (mongrel?).
I would recommend a board like this for anyone considering a move from mal to shortboard or shortboard to mal as a way of experiencing the best of both worlds.
In fact, as a dedicated longboarder I have to say it has reignited my desire to one day master a shortboard. This thing rides like a shortboard and does all the things I've watched shortboarders do, as long as you drive it from the back foot.
Or, you can trim it, walk the nose and generally cruise along if the wave flattens out a bit - none of that ugly "pumping" to hang in for the next section to form.
I'll be sorry to hand it back to Mark and I'm sure my regular board is gonna give me a hard time for a while because I've ignored it for the last couple of weeks. :wink:
As an aside, I got to ride a McTavish this morning while a mate was trying the swinger. He's one of those guys who catches everything he paddles for and then rips it apart. Having now paddled his board (which I didn't realise is so much wider than mine in the plan shape esp. in the front one third) I can see why he achieves both. That, too was a surprising board.
Beanpole

Skipper

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:42 pm

got the swinger back today, thanks for the feedback Trev, great to get that info from someone who rides a longboard every day.....I think the board will get a few runs this weekend as its tiny here, will try some diff fin combos too.....plans for the 2nd version are in the works..... 8)

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:36 pm

doin a 8ft version tomoz, will be incorporating feedback from test riders as well as my own thoughts from riding the first one...thanks again....dims of newy ( which is order for guy at Coogee ) are 8'0" x 22 3/4" x 3" , rider is 96kgs and likes alot of volume but wants looser and more manouverabilty than hios current 10'6" and 9'6"....can post pics if interested...
** this is not for getting orders, this is a continuation of the thread relating to this design that I am doing, to get opinions and thoughts as well as just to share what I am shaping and designing to others who are interested ***

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:39 pm

If I were ever to buy a mal it would be a swinger methinks, coming from a shortboarder.

Is that for Mr. Ding repair Mark?
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:24 pm

dont miss much do ya mate ???

he really liked yours and said that he was keen for something different....he also liked the quads so it was obvious what to make him.... 8)

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:13 pm

haha I hear everything mate... :P He was pretty interested when he repaired mine and mentioned wanting to buy a bigger version from you.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:54 am

rocker has been increased especially tail, rails have been softened til further back to tail, leading nose concave toned down, double becomes quite deep as you can see in pics ( but pic actually makes it look deeper than really is ), have left centre peak ( stringer ) higher to increase ease in which board will go onto rails....

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:08 pm

7'0 x 21" x 2 3/4" the volume of a mini-mal but way more responsive off the tail, quad with double concaves....