Swinger with length...

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Swinger with length...

Post by Trev » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:57 pm

Just a bit of a thread revival.
The Swinger with length has a new owner as of yesterday.
Thanks Mark, I'll look after it.
Gonna have some fun. I've just been re-reading this thread and I can't wait for some waves.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:28 am

Top stuff trev, I would love to have a go of it one day after yourve caught at least a 1000 waves on it, will love to hear a ride report after tommorows waves trevor, please let us know how it goes. :D
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:51 pm

when you gunna surf it mate ?, keen to hear how the fins go ? remember if you wanna change the way she rides, let me know and I can suggest fin options .....have to get down there and surf your spot coz I got a comp there in a few weeks.... 8)

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:11 pm

pridmore wrote:when you gunna surf it mate ?, keen to hear how the fins go ? remember if you wanna change the way she rides, let me know and I can suggest fin options .....have to get down there and surf your spot coz I got a comp there in a few weeks.... 8)
The Pa Bendall??

Soon as there's some waves. :oops: And offshores. :?
Seriously though, I'll get shit off with no surf in a few days and go out in almost anything. :roll:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:12 pm

pridmore wrote:when you gunna surf it mate ?, keen to hear how the fins go ? remember if you wanna change the way she rides, let me know and I can suggest fin options .....have to get down there and surf your spot coz I got a comp there in a few weeks.... 8)
The Pa Bendall??

Soon as there's some waves. :oops: And offshores. :?
Seriously though, I'll get shit off with no surf in a few days and go out in almost anything. :roll:
Beanpole

Skipper

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:28 pm

Hows the board going this week trev, Ive heard theres a few good waves around the place

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:31 pm

^^^^^ Digger, the waves have been pretty shit down here for a week or so. When the wind was right, the surf was flaaaaaaaat. And when there was swell the wind was straight onshore.
I had three surfs during the week in rubbish. Probably got one worthwhile wave. Had to work yesterday.
However, TODAY!!! Great fun waves just the sort of thing the swinger revels in. Today was the first chance I've had to really get into the "swing" of things. :D
Nice stand-up peaks over the boils, some reasonable walls. The swinger likes long fat walls if you move onto the front section and just control it by leaning your body. Response in that situation is great.
Then in the hollowere bits, on take off and in the sections, it just hangs there with you controlling everything from your back foot. It hangs in any steep section just like a short board, then accelerates like a rocketship if you lean forward slightly. Loose, radical turns are then the order of the day.
It's everything I remembered and then some.
Probably not for everyone but I suspect Mark has turned out a shape which just suits my style perfectly.
Bring on tomorrow. Although I think the swell is dying.
Bring on Winter. 8)
Beanpole

Skipper

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:49 pm

:oops: :oops:
A week or two back, I creased the swinger across the middle. Got caught in the white water in a wipe-out and still had hold of the rear of the board. Plenty of meat in the front half to provide leverage by the water.

Anyway, asked Mark who to take it to and he recommended Paul Carson at "The Factory" in the back of Caloundra. Took it in the other day - which is where I got the copy of "smorgasboarder" magazine mentioned elsewhere.

Paul looks like a good operator (never knew he was there :oops: ). Ex Cronulla boy who's been operating up here since 1976.

Hope to have it back next week some time.
Beanpole

Skipper

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:13 pm

just in time fo rthe next flat spell hey :wink:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:57 am

sho be some swell around for a little while by the looks, hopefully you'll get it back pretty soon, he is usually very reliable and gets things done when he says...Did you pick up the new Smorgasboarder yet ?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:39 am

pridmore wrote:sho be some swell around for a little while by the looks, hopefully you'll get it back pretty soon, he is usually very reliable and gets things done when he says...Did you pick up the new Smorgasboarder yet ?
I've got a couple more boards to play with.
Will pick up the new mag when I go back for the swinger.
Beanpole

Skipper

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:07 pm

Got the swinger back on Saturday. Good repair, thoughtfully done as it needed a little bit of strengthening around the wings.

Paul calls it a "stinger" and I think I saw someone else ask on here why this one is called a "swinger" not a "stinger".
Maybe Mark can elaborate but IIRC the "Stinger" back in the day only had a very short narrow section at the back, hence a bit like an insect where the sting is only in the tail area. This board is about 50:50. So it pivots or swings at the halfway mark.
Anything MORE to add Mark? :wink:
Beanpole

Skipper

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:13 pm

Swingers have MORE fun..... :roll: