How do I remove paint from my surfboard

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

Ned Flanders
Grommet

How do I remove paint from my surfboard

Post by Ned Flanders » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:52 am

I recently bought a second hand Geoff Horner 6'11". Interestingly the top 1/4 of the deck (from the nose) had been painted. I thought it might have been snapped but discounted that after giving the board a good look over. The guy reckons he painted because there were some flowers on the deck spray job he didn't really like and because he liked the board he bought it and painted over them. I'd like to remove the paint even though the flowers might make it look girly.

Whats the best way to remove paint from a PU surfboard without damaging the glass/resin/ etc?

cheers

RichQ
regular

Re: How do I remove paint from my surfboard

Post by RichQ » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:54 pm

From one of Toads boards??? Chainsaw should do it.

Ned Flanders
Grommet

Post by Ned Flanders » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:29 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I will get right on it.

As always the forums have provided me with mucho information

drowningbitbybit
Grommet

Post by drowningbitbybit » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:08 pm

Depends on whether the flowery paint job was painted on the very top of the board, or is below the glassing.

If its on the top, then you probably wont be able to remove the paint without wrecking the flowers... but that might be no bad thing? :wink:
Acetone (a tiny amount at a time) and some gentle scrubbing with wire wool or wet and dry should do the trick. Obviously, rub super careful like.
Careful scrubbing wont damage the board to any noticeable extent.

If the pretty flowers are below the glass (where they ought to be), then you should be able to remove the paint as above, but then polish out the glass so the flowers glow.

If, on the other hand, the final coat of paint (the stuff you wanna get rid of) has been glassed, then its probably more trouble removing it than its worth!
Why do you ask? It's the internet, it's not like I know what I'm talking about.