Dimple Bottoms ???

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Re: Dimple Bottoms ???

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:54 am

Cpt.Caveman wrote:I wonder what a deep double with dimples lining the deepest part of the concave would do?
Think of them more as an opportunity to replace concave.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:05 am

yeah but its a different feeling, feels like theres a layer of air between the board and me, seperation but not in a bad way , just less resisistance and thats what I said, it felt slippery and just skims accross the water very easily, a feeling I havent felt before on a board except its a bit similar to finless, the reduction of drag is fast and freeing.......

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:00 am

Gday Guys
Havent had time to read all posts, so it might be irrelevant.
Tom Morey Experimented with Dimple bottom and fluidised hulls in the 60's and 70's.
he also worked in aerospace design.
you might want to contact him to see what he found from trial and error unless you want to repeat his experiments.
he has a blog page if you want to get hold of him.
Cheers
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:45 am

offshore1 wrote:You're a bloody slavedriver vidal. Been playing eighteen holes a day researching this phenomenon for three weeks now and this is the thanks I get..

:lol: :lol:
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:19 pm

http://tommorey.com/blog/

Had a quick squiz. Good to see hes still active in the innovation area. It looks like hes trying to push his soft foam designs further with skim/surfboard hybrids.

Didn't look like a huge amount of fun but good on him.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:19 am

Hows the dimple board going MP? What do you think after testing if for a while?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:56 am

very excited about it, shaping a few next week...havent ridden it for a while myself but that only because the waves have been too small for it, not because it hasnt been in the wagon every time I go down... 8)

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:48 pm

haha :)

So what are you thinking? A valid replacement of concave?

Does it increase release or make it slippery?

I guess its a very different dynamic to redirecting the pressure using concaves.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:39 pm

more speed and the lack of friction or drag makes it feel slippery but slippery is not the right word coz it doesnt make the board have less hold onto the wave face....some little waves coming our way, MORE testing in the next few days.... :D

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:20 pm

Hey Mark. I reckon there's something in it too. Similar to belly channells where they create a bit of lift, and the "slippery" feeling you're alluding to. Could be beneficial in fuller planshape/low rocker boards where single concave can make them a bit sticky.

Be good to fill them in with some sort of lightweight filler, and then remove it to see how much difference there is.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:08 pm

spot on Tiger...but I dont need to fill em in mate, I can feel a big difference....reckon I can adjust rockers accordingly due to the additional speed....cant wait to get the next batch in the water....
8)

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:20 pm

MP, what do you think about a Dumpling (around 5'5" x 20") with a turbulator/dimple bottom up front instead of a single concave, then a deep double with vee out the back through the fins where the dimples stop? Plus MORElease rails and a diamond tail like yours?

Whatdya reckon?

I wouldn't mind the outline a touch straighter and more parallel than the 5'5" you made yourself, and do you think we could get away with a touch extra rocker to allow for tight surfing?

Even though a slightly straighter outline, making it pretty hi-per for a dumping? Whatdya reckon? :)

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:26 pm

mate, thats exactly what I planned to make for myself on this 5'5".. but by the time I had trialled the dimples and realised how unreal they went, I'd already finished the 5'5"...I would definitely have them on the next one for myself....as for the straighter outline, no worries....but I wouldnt be inclined to increase the rocker...these are pretty lively and you definitely dont need any extra rocker, I have actually reduced it a bit in recent shapes....I'd keep rocker the same especially if its for a real groveller....the bottom contours and the diamond tail already make em responsive and lively...this is starting to get into specifics for a custom mate so maybe we should do this via my email..... 8)

feraldave
Grommet

Post by feraldave » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:00 pm

Tony bear is the man for dimple bottoms, he has been doing them for 30+ years.... Probably forgotten more than you will ever remember about them!

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:25 pm

yeah, but as I said plenty of times in this thread, I am not claiming it to be my design or my idea, I am just playing around with them and they are working great.....full respect to the guys who have done these ...not much hasnt been done.... bit like your blatant ripping off of Tomo's planing hull.... :roll:
I like to blend different design elements from many different boards and use them in one board to create a fun and functional shape...thats what most are doing these days....

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:43 am

pridmore wrote:yeah, but as I said plenty of times in this thread, I am not claiming it to be my design or my idea, I am just playing around with them and they are working great.....full respect to the guys who have done these ...not much hasnt been done.... bit like your blatant ripping off of Tomo's planing hull.... :roll:
I like to blend different design elements from many different boards and use them in one board to create a fun and functional shape...thats what most are doing these days....
bit defensive there...

on dave's blog, pretty sure he gave full credit to tomo for that board anyway

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:58 am

not defensive, more frustrated with the same old " its been done before by someone else" comments......if you'd been aware of some previous comments and posts over last few years, you'd understand....plus earlier in the thread, I mention the willis bros several times and give others full credit and clearly state this isnt my design idea....

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:14 am

pirate_agenda wrote:
pridmore wrote:yeah, but as I said plenty of times in this thread, I am not claiming it to be my design or my idea, I am just playing around with them and they are working great.....full respect to the guys who have done these ...not much hasnt been done.... bit like your blatant ripping off of Tomo's planing hull.... :roll:
bit defensive there...
I can understand Mark biting back when someone makes a comment like
feraldave wrote: Tony bear.... Probably forgotten more than you will ever remember about them!
Totally unnecessary given the credit Mark always gives to those who've gone before. Maybe you should take a little longer to check on someone's history before mouthing off.

Sorry Mark, shouldn't get involved, I know. And you've handled it. But, Geez!
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.