To shape?

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Re: To shape?

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:23 pm

Eddie Punchclock wrote:Ric is a patient man yet ultimately a perfectionist, you can't go wrong!
No it’s called an OCD, Eddie... I must learn to walk away :D

Eddie Punchclock
Grommet

Post by Eddie Punchclock » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:08 pm

What, and deprive us of such innovation?
kreepykrawly wrote: may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your balls

eMpowered
Local

Post by eMpowered » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:07 am

Ha, That's It. Just ...... Ha...... BTW its 3.30am and I'm listening to The System of the Down ..Hyptotize.

Been there. Done that mate. Kern hard stuff. But still to today, Love to ride my own boards.

F..k , Just read my preview and still m,adness going through my headphones (Sony MDR-V700's) for all you c++ kiddies. Can take whatever my 2 Onkyo Amps put out. Yes 35+ and deaf, but love it. Sorry, What was our subject? Takes me back to thr day's of Mr Grainger and a small lad from NThn Narra.

M

eMpowered
Local

Post by eMpowered » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:35 am

O.K 4.20 am, And went back to old school Beastie Boy's. Phew. Them System of the Down lad's are kern intense. Especiallly at this time of the morning.

So, Numero uno, Is Where do you live. Cause this matter's alot.

Do you want to make a board that you (fkk, Was about to do the whole proximaty to a machine stuff)

Forget religion (Surfing that is), Learn the machine's (Seriously). Design what you want, let a machine cut it and take your time to finish it.

I Surfed a wave with "Longy", Derek Hynd, Greg Webber, Dale Egan, Jeff Annssley, and one other punter out at Nth Avalon the other day. Party wave heaven, And we all had fun.

Point is .... Make a board for you.

Full Stop.

M

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:58 am

Cheaters!!

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:15 am

tiger wrote:Cheaters!!
:lol: I contemplated my first machine job for The Magic Wand, I think there was smoke coming out of my wife’s ears when I said it :D and didn’t that start the ******* spinning. :shock:

Sorry Salts, Em-p, but they are pretty soul-less. I have seen a few done and quite frankly if you ever wonder why your deck is collapsing then I reckon I have a pretty good answer as to why.

Salty, in your case it is a means to an end and there is nothing wrong with that, but...

Well who cares, right?

RichQ
regular

Post by RichQ » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:31 am

Hey Mike, you been sniffing acetone again? :shock:

btw, you still owe me about 4-5 litres from about 2 years ago!! :D :lol:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:50 pm

souless, cheating ????? yeah, I thought that too but there isnt too many shapers that dont use them these days and for good reason. If the boards went better when they were hand shaped then all the pro's wouldnt be riding them. The technology is there so why not use it. I use the machine a bit lately and I think they are great. The machine and computer has become a tool just like the planer is a tool. The designers brain is the ultimate tool and no matter how it is used, that is the important part of the whole process, the knowledge of what to design and how to create it....I grew up in the era of all hand shaped from scratch and thats how I learnt too, but times change and technology becomes available and if people choose not to use it then thats up to them. I still do some from scratch if its something a bit out if the ordinary but Fat-Bats are coming off the machine better than ever...only my opinion, not ashamed to use the machine coz I can use a planer if I want but it takes 2 hrs longer and doesnt come out as perfect..... 8)

huie
Local

Post by huie » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:39 pm

hey mark you not going to tell me loading a free cad prgm
& fidling with a few bezel points makes one a shaper.
i hope you dont teach your young fella that
make a spin temp eye hand co ordination good shapes will come.

while i like the idea of geting pete to do a few i love to feel
&mow some foam haaaaa

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:50 pm

mate I tach my son everything I know about surfing nd boards. We have handshaped several together, reshaped 1 and he has sprayed about 10 and done a stack of posca art on boards, he is doing one for Tom Carroll tomorrow so thats not too bad for a 10 yr old....he also knows alot about design and shapes, be very surprised if theres another kid his age who knows nearly as much, he rides his own shaped board ( machine cut and he finished it totally by himself and then he sprayed it ), he has also been to 2 Fish-Fry's and been interviewed about shaping .... Think you missed a bit of my post coz I never said that if you can use the cad program it makes you a shaper, think I said that the shapers brain is the tool and to use the available technology if you want..( or something along those lines )... I still do some with the planer, actually have an interesting one to do now, its a copy of a Tom Peterson Fireball, so no machine cut there, will be good to mow some foam but I will continue to utilise the amazing technology that is available, especially when the performance is not hindered....JMHO

I expected some fiery response about this topic.....each to their own.... 8)

eMpowered
Local

Post by eMpowered » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:17 pm

How the fcck do you put photo's up nowaday's? Kern shits me.

Point is if you could see the creations I have done thanks to a machine, You would know that nota hope in hell of handshaping this stuff.

Yes I agree, Making and then shaping a basic thruster from a machine is child's work, But to come up with, Say my Teardrop. Which has a nose width of 22" going down into a pin tail with a massive single concave perfectly transitioning into a vee bottom (Wanted it to be a Twinny). Btw its only 5'5" long. Would be very hard to hand shape.

M

eMpowered
Local

Post by eMpowered » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:51 pm

Yes Dino, true, but trying to go to the extreme of the machine point.

James "Chilli" Cheal is a fine example of getting a thruster right utilizing a machine.

9.49pm.......... But yes, Way things are going, Headphones, Music library, Review of today's Bell's and YouTube. I will probably still be here at 3am. Oh did I mention the case of Gold Shiraz I picked up today.

M

huie
Local

Post by huie » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:50 pm

dinosaur wrote:
huie wrote:hey mark you not going to tell me loading a free cad prgm
& fidling with a few bezel points makes one a shaper.
i hope you dont teach your young fella that
make a spin temp eye hand co ordination good shapes will come.

while i like the idea of geting pete to do a few i love to feel
&mow some foam haaaaa

tell ya what hui. you design a board on the computer and put it through the machine then get a respected shaper who knows the software and machineto do the same design on the same machine. I bet you the shapers will come out a lot better every time.

thats exactly my point you need the right software

meanwhile i wil just go back &do a cple by hand like i always have
have fun

eMpowered
Local

Post by eMpowered » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:32 am

Last edited by eMpowered on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eMpowered
Local

Post by eMpowered » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:45 am

Last edited by eMpowered on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eMpowered
Local

Post by eMpowered » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:46 am

salty????

eMpowered
Local

Post by eMpowered » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:47 am

eMpowered
Local

Post by eMpowered » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:05 am

O.k Salty, took time (Many Red's downed) but it cropped my best boards, Especially the "Teardrop" that I spoke of earlier.
Last edited by eMpowered on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.