The winter of our content.

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Re: The winter of our content.

Post by foamy » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:45 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:nth shore actually has surf! tiny WNW and a bit bigger ENE swell. south shore is supposed to be absolutely cracking Sunday Monday. One of the cool thing about the race is that you hit land at a surf spot, China Walls, and it gets every bit of sth swell, so fcuk knows what's gonna happen in there. Chaos probably.
Coincidentally, video this week of a dog rescue at China Walls. The little tyke climbed down to be near his human buddy and was comprehensively flushed.
http://youtu.be/qLYD2CXLty4

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:39 pm

Braithy, Peak is now owned by ripcurl and it's their cheaper suit so I find it very hard to believe that it's more flexible than a ripcurl suit.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:30 pm

They're owned by curl, but they're not made under the same roof. Stands to reason they're not using the same materials either, yeah?

Go try them out yourself. You'll feel the difference straightaway. Peak is a much softer rubber.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:44 am

Braithy wrote:They're owned by curl, but they're not made under the same roof. Stands to reason they're not using the same materials either, yeah?

Go try them out yourself. You'll feel the difference straightaway. Peak is a much softer rubber.
Aren't they? Would have thought they would be, I know Patagonia is or was made in the same factory as ripcurl, you can see they use the excess fluff from the wool lining of the patagonias to line the curl wetties.

The internet promised me a 6m. swell this morning and it does not look like it has come through, is there an ombudsman I can contact about this?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:31 am

it's funny you say that b'cos the peak suit has the same lining as the patagonias, yet the curl ones i looked didn't.

i'd actually compare the peak steamer to the patagonia suits, not the curl ones.
Kunji wrote:

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:52 am

crustt wrote:The internet promised me a 6m. swell this morning and it does not look like it has come through, is there an ombudsman I can contact about this?
I blame the internet. Go and find your nearest nerd and punch him in the face.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:57 am

BA wrote:
crustt wrote:The internet promised me a 6m. swell this morning and it does not look like it has come through, is there an ombudsman I can contact about this?
I blame the internet. Go and find your nearest nerd and punch him in the face.

lol_forecasting
Kunji wrote:

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:39 pm

jimmy wrote:Come up the north end this arvo. There's a few banks around and a northerly is much kinder up here.
Waves everywhere today but really fun banks @ the northern end
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:03 pm

^^ Yep. Today was loads of fun. Only small but I surfed a bank out the front of my place that was doing a fine impression of a mini Bingin. Nice to have a bit of East in the swell.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:36 am

shit. i surfed for 20 minutes. threw myself into 4 ankle-deep closeouts and got out before i hurt my favourite board.

i knew i shoulda went north to you guys, but didn't wanna deal with the traffic :lol:
Kunji wrote:

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:45 am

Nick Carroll wrote:well if you look on Google Earth you will see the whole China Walls and Maunalua Bay thing.

The finish line is a little tiny inlet down near the highway bridge along the bay's perimeter.

Earth shows all the reef action pretty clearly. Bigger sth swells break way out near the tip of Portlock Point and fan out across the bay, breaking on other reefs almost all the way in.

My plan is to hand off to Tom right before the surf zone and let him do his thing through to the mid section of the bay. He is a goofy foot after all. Then take over again and rip through the last k of flat water. Tom may gain some ground on other paddlers via his surf skills but I'm a fair bit quicker paddler.

I wouldn't be nervous on our behalf, by this time Sunday (HI time) we'll be done and dusted. We're not gonna fight the channel. The channel doesn't give a fcuk. Hopefully with The Pig's crazy sacrifice thing done, we'll be let through its gates extra quick.
As Nick predicted, seems to be plenty of swell breaking across the bay as the very tired Molokai paddlers get near the finish. People getting rolled.

Very hot and flat in the channel. Very, very tough conditions they reckon. First finishers, an hour outside record time.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:11 am

Carrolls just came in - 6th place [EDIT: ok, it looks like it was 9th place - is there a staggered start?]

Relay: 2-person PB M

201 Allum, Mitchell Sydney, NSW 05:40:47.0
201 Allum, Hayden Cronulla, NSW 05:40:47.0
207 Carroll, Tom Avalon Beach, NSW 06:24:50.8
207 Carroll, Nick Newport Beach, NSW 06:24:50.8

Seriously, paddling for 6 hours and then being dumped by the swell would almost kill you. If the paddling hadn't already

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:34 am

Spring has sprung.

regular

Post by 8 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:57 pm

Looking pretty good north of the gong and south of newy.