Spring fourteen

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

MrMik
regular

Re: Spow come the water ring fourteen

Post by MrMik » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:28 am

How come the water surface temperature seems to drop when we (= GC to Byron) get hot N /NW winds in spring?

Or am I just suffering from colourful memory, selective attention and/or insufficient maritime acumen?

I'm getting a bit desperate for waves, my plants are all shrivelling up and looking like they will die soon, the wind is hot from the north, and when I finally give up and enter the water to catch a wave (against better judgement), I end up freezing my butt off !!!

You'd think that northerly winds would blow some warmer northern waters down the east coast (along with Blue Bottles in it), but NAH! the water just gets colder each day. The Southport buoy reports 19degc now.

Please explain...
Southport Buoy temp 20141121.png

MrMik
regular

Re: Spring fourteen

Post by MrMik » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:59 am

saltman wrote:Its called upwelling
the consistent Northerlies cause the warm surface water to essentially bounce of the coastline and are replaced by cold stuff from the deep
Aha, thanks.

And why is it that the water gets all brown and murky even without any rain when the northerlies start? I suppose the different swell direction rearranges sandbanks and mud that had arranged themselves to be semi-stable in south-easterly swell directions? Last week the ocean looked like after mayor flooding, but no rain had fallen...

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:00 am

I've given up looking at the ocean in hopes to surf it.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:38 pm

Braithy wrote:russian brides would serve more of a purpose than bitcoins or silver.

I'd pay good bitchcoins for some waves

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:47 pm

I heard Hawaii is nice this time of year.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:04 am

OK this shit ain't funny anymore Huey!!

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:15 am

Donweather wrote:OK this shit ain't funny anymore Huey!!
Agreed.
We need a human sacrifice.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:20 pm

7 days of black northerlies with more to come.

thats an impressive run.

I think this is a portent of the future under a hotter climate.

An increase in the size, timing and strength of the inland Australia heat low. This massive mass of super-heated air is now going to influence our climate, making it more continental and less maritime. Most notably through Spring/Summer. Changing the balance between land and sea temp gradients and leading to longer and stronger northerlies episodes.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:31 pm

So more lefts. Further proof that goofies are the chosen ones.

There's been a fair bit of modelling that supports that argument

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:32 pm

steve shearer wrote:An increase in the size, timing and strength of the inland Australia heat low. This massive mass of super-heated air is now going to influence our climate, making it more continental and less maritime. Most notably through Spring/Summer. Changing the balance between land and sea temp gradients and leading to longer and stronger northerlies episodes.
That's it, I'm moving to Tasmania!!!

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:53 pm

What are the surfing seasons for Tasmania like?

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:10 pm

MrMik wrote:What are the surfing seasons for Tasmania like?
With a west facing, south facing and east facing coastline, you can't go wrong anytime of the year down there.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:15 pm

Donweather wrote:
MrMik wrote:What are the surfing seasons for Tasmania like?
With a west facing, south facing and east facing coastline, you can't go wrong anytime of the year down there.
Even some decent stuff gets into the northern coast around Devonport and Burnie.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Re: Spow come the water ring fourteen

Post by Donweather » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:49 pm

MrMik wrote:How come the water surface temperature seems to drop when we (= GC to Byron) get hot N /NW winds in spring?

Or am I just suffering from colourful memory, selective attention and/or insufficient maritime acumen?

I'm getting a bit desperate for waves, my plants are all shrivelling up and looking like they will die soon, the wind is hot from the north, and when I finally give up and enter the water to catch a wave (against better judgement), I end up freezing my butt off !!!

You'd think that northerly winds would blow some warmer northern waters down the east coast (along with Blue Bottles in it), but NAH! the water just gets colder each day. The Southport buoy reports 19degc now.

Please explain...
Southport Buoy temp 20141121.png
It's all very well explained here. Bl00dy Coriolis!!!!

http://www.swellnet.com/news/swellnet-a ... -noreaster

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:06 am

Donweather wrote:
steve shearer wrote:An increase in the size, timing and strength of the inland Australia heat low. This massive mass of super-heated air is now going to influence our climate, making it more continental and less maritime. Most notably through Spring/Summer. Changing the balance between land and sea temp gradients and leading to longer and stronger northerlies episodes.

God's country.

easily the best place for a surfer to live in Oz, if they like long lonely sessions, don't mind finding other outlets for long flat spells and love big raw coastlines.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:47 am

Braithy wrote:
Donweather wrote:

God's country.

easily the best place for a surfer to live in Oz, if they like long lonely sessions, don't mind finding other outlets for long flat spells and love big raw coastlines.
If I could find an old fashioned long sail board I'd buy one.
Beanpole

Skipper

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:42 pm

I can see a faint light at the end of the tunnel....thank feck!!!

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:16 pm

think there's a bit of an undercall in forecast world re the deep sth fetch south of the Tasman Sea atm

that thing might surprise everyone south of Coffs on Friday