Spring fourteen

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Spring fourteen

Post by steve shearer » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:19 am

nice day for the first of spring. fun surf.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Spring fourteen

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:46 am

Not here.

Now the banks have settled there's not much around at mid tide from here to northern nsw. Shorey into a deep gutter into a ruler edge straight storm bank 70+ metres outside.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:21 am

Fantastic first surf of spring. A bit small, but long rides (and long paddles back out :( ).
But just 3 of us for nearly an hour then a few more (all) locals wandered out over the next hour.
Good fun. Great vibe.

Oh. Rock bottom, so no sand issues. :-)(
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:14 am

Braithy wrote:Not here.

Now the banks have settled there's not much around at mid tide from here to northern nsw. Shorey into a deep gutter into a ruler edge straight storm bank 70+ metres outside.
Looks a wee bit further south from mine ... :idea:
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:38 am

yeah, hard to say not much swell getting in there, huh?
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:44 am

This calendar definition of the seasons bugs me. Spring starts at the equinox, so if I've got anything to say until then, I'll be posting in the winter thread. If tard g makes any attempt to block me, he's my toty no matter what the fcuk else fong does
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:46 am

swvic wrote:This calendar definition of the seasons bugs me. Spring starts at the equinox, so if I've got anything to say until then, I'll be posting in the winter thread. If tard g makes any attempt to block me, he's my toty no matter what the fcuk else fong does
Go for your life mate.
But in Australia, we officially start Spring today.
I suppose you call "Autumn", "Fall" too?
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:58 am

Trev wrote:
swvic wrote:This calendar definition of the seasons bugs me. Spring starts at the equinox, so if I've got anything to say until then, I'll be posting in the winter thread. If tard g makes any attempt to block me, he's my toty no matter what the fcuk else fong does
Go for your life mate.
No, I fcuking don't

Sept 1 is a number derived by humans. Conversely, the equinox is a powerful thing of nature. Although named by humans, it is something over which we have no control. Like it's Autumnal sister and the equinoxes, this vernal endowment is to be revered and respected - both for simply the wonder that it and that it also marks the commencement of Spring, excepting for the likes of you, Brithy, Womble and Shearer. You should know better

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:03 am

swvic wrote:
Trev wrote:
Go for your life mate.
No, I fcuking don't

Sept 1 is a number derived by humans. Conversely, the equinox is a powerful thing of nature. Although named by humans, it is something over which we have no control. Like it's Autumnal sister and the equinoxes, this vernal endowment is to be revered and respected - both for simply the wonder that it and that it also marks the commencement of Spring, excepting for the likes of you, Brithy, Womble and Shearer. You should know better
Got him, Yeah!!!!!! :D
Beanpole

Skipper

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:09 am

Believe me, trev, this is no laughing matter. In Spring, people wear spring suits. Yesterday (granted, it was still Winter as defined by either of us) I was in a 4/3 steamer, booties and hooded vest. Air temp was pushing 20, but the water is still fcuken cold. If it was Spring I wouldn't need my hooded vest. If I were to surf today, I'd wear the vest. Irrefutable proof that it's NOT SPRING

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:14 am

sure feels like spring here today Vic.

but i take your point on the equinox call.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:16 am

swvic wrote:Believe me, trev, this is no laughing matter. In Spring, people wear spring suits. Yesterday (granted, it was still Winter as defined by either of us) I was in a 4/3 steamer, booties and hooded vest. Air temp was pushing 20, but the water is still fcuken cold. If it was Spring I wouldn't need my hooded vest. If I were to surf today, I'd wear the vest. Irrefutable proof that it's NOT SPRING
Umm?

I wore a spring suit today. :-o #*!
Beanpole

Skipper

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:22 am

Yeah, we've had some really nice days where you can finally feel the warmth of the Sun. Been in shorts a couple of times too. There's a part of me loving it, but there's also the realisation that we're soon to go into a pattern of relentless SE winds. If it's not Spring in my head (it really isn't), that's further away. Sort of

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:25 am

Trev wrote:
swvic wrote:Believe me, trev, this is no laughing matter. In Spring, people wear spring suits. Yesterday (granted, it was still Winter as defined by either of us) I was in a 4/3 steamer, booties and hooded vest. Air temp was pushing 20, but the water is still fcuken cold. If it was Spring I wouldn't need my hooded vest. If I were to surf today, I'd wear the vest. Irrefutable proof that it's NOT SPRING
Umm?

Well if I lived there, I'd only have a Spring suit, wouldn't I? Besides, you can't define the seasons with Qld. In fact, you can't define anything of worth with Qld

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:38 am

swvic wrote:
Trev wrote:
Umm?

Well if I lived there, I'd only have a Spring suit, wouldn't I? Besides, you can't define the seasons with Qld. In fact, you can't define anything of worth with Qld
Missed out last night, did you. :(
Beanpole

Skipper

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:49 am

Yeah, but that's not unusual. Not missing out has a positive effect on mood so it's just the basic stupidity of others that has me down a bit today :wink:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:00 pm

I'm with swvic.

Though the sun sure has some sting in it today.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:20 pm

From the BOM.

Seasons

In Australia, the seasons are defined by grouping the calendar months in the following way:

Spring - the three transition months September, October and November.
Summer - the three hottest months December, January and February.
Autumn - the transition months March, April and May.
Winter - the three coldest months June, July and August.

These definitions reflect the lag in heating and cooling as the sun appears to move southward and northward across the equator. They are also useful for compiling and presenting climate-based statistics on time scales such as months and seasons.
Beanpole

Skipper