contradicting surf reports

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:51 pm

Hi Kimmy, It looks like this northcliff fool is doing a bit of the classic cut and paste plagarism. His report is lifted directly from coastalwatch site http://www.coastalwatch.com/cam.asp?cam=3500
I like the coastalwatch cams because there is nothing better than real time video of the beach. However the surf reports by Ben Horvath are usually horribly optimistic Like Mike Perrys http://www.surfalert.com.au/ the reports are based on a guess rather than anyone actually seeing the surf.
Only trust eywitness reports like realsurf, photos like http://www.surfit.com.au/Surfit/Display.asp?ss=5&ID=72
or live video like coastalwatch.
Everybody else is just giving the surf report they imagined
cheers

streetdaddy
Local

Post by streetdaddy » Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:00 pm

i think you'll find that northcliffe email address is actually Coastalwatch. I get Coastalwatch's reports daily and they always come from that northcliffe address... Their reports for SA are usually ok because I think they're done by the same guy who does SurfSouthOz.com reports here, which are usually not to bad.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:04 pm

streetdaddy wrote:i think you'll find that northcliffe email address is actually Coastalwatch. I get Coastalwatch's reports daily and they always come from that northcliffe address... Their reports for SA are usually ok because I think they're done by the same guy who does SurfSouthOz.com reports here, which are usually not to bad.
Correct on both counts.

When you compare Coastalwatch's reports with Realsurf's, bear in mid that Coastalwatch pay their reporters, and Realsurf's are done by volunteers. I think it's cool what Realsurf has done... but quality control is always gonna be an issue. Streetdaddy... if you ever want a huge larf, checkout SurfIT's SA report. Hilarious!!! A typical example... "NW - SW winds 5 - 25 knots, 1 - 4' surf" ( from Petrel Cove!!! ).

Surf IT are OK reporting on the Northern beaches because that's where they're based. I would treat their reports form anywhere else with healthy skepticism. :wink:

streetdaddy
Local

Post by streetdaddy » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:23 am

Even better are Surfit's 'latest' shots of Victor Harbour :roll: The first time i visited the site I FREAKED and started sticking my fingers down my throat to fake illness so I could go get a standup barrel at Knights :p Soon enough I realised how out of date the shots are... But damn, that is some good Knights!

Image[/img]

liam92

Coastalwatch

Post by liam92 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:53 pm

dUg wrote:
streetdaddy wrote:i think you'll find that northcliffe email address is actually Coastalwatch. I get Coastalwatch's reports daily and they always come from that northcliffe address... Their reports for SA are usually ok because I think they're done by the same guy who does SurfSouthOz.com reports here, which are usually not to bad.
Correct on both counts.

When you compare Coastalwatch's reports with Realsurf's, bear in mid that Coastalwatch pay their reporters, and Realsurf's are done by volunteers.

Hang on crew , I saw Dougie from the Central Coast, who also appears on coastwatch, say he does it all for love - that he does it for the kids, does if for the pure enjoyment, does it 'cause he wants to show everyone that the local council is doing such a great job - I didn't see anything about him doing it 'cause he was paid for it! Someone's go their hand on it.

I think it's cool what Realsurf has done... but quality control is always gonna be an issue. Streetdaddy... if you ever want a huge larf, checkout SurfIT's SA report. Hilarious!!! A typical example... "NW - SW winds 5 - 25 knots, 1 - 4' surf" ( from Petrel Cove!!! ).

Surf IT are OK reporting on the Northern beaches because that's where they're based. I would treat their reports form anywhere else with healthy skepticism. :wink: