TC Freda

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

OddaP
barnacle

Re: TC Freda

Post by OddaP » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:05 pm

Pfft. It's a hoax.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:37 pm

oldman wrote:
brendo wrote:what you are saying olds is that as long as there is a cyclone out there, there is gunna be a decent swell...i call bullshit. .
I thought I was just saying that your comment that cyclones don't create swell without an abutting high was a glorious simplification of incredibly complex phenomena (i.e. wrong).

I think I know what you were saying, but you overcooked it, just a little. I probably wouldn't have pulled you up on it except a perfect example existed only 2 weeks beforehand. I'm still learning, and perhaps a bit on the 'slower than I used to be' side of things, but I can remember swell events of two weeks ago.

So while we are quoting from swellnet:

Thermalben -

"TC Evan was a weaker system than TC Freda (in our swell window, anyway), located much further away from the Australian coast than Freda, and without a major supporting ridge to the south - but it still generated some solid waves at various East Coast swell magnets."

and from Craig

"Compare this to say Evan which moved south towards New Zealand at a far greater rate and continued to pump out east swell towards us for days."
Donweather wrote:If you call 6ft swell with some freak 8ft bombs minimal impact on Australia's east coast then all well and good, but as far as I'm concerned, Evan delivered a fairly solid cyclone swell for it's compactness, albeit the peak was up and down very quickly.
At Maroubra we seemed to get 4 and more days of 3 -4 foot swell (and possibly bigger). I'm not saying it was perfect long period groundswell, but there was nothing else out there producing a consistent ENE swell.

FWIW, it is so far more complex than either of us have made out that it is a laughable debate. I really don't take myself too seriously about it all, but I know just enough to get by.

So where do we stand brendo? Are you pissed about me calling you out on this?

Not that I care, I'm just interested in your reaction. I doubt that you are a dullard, but your response will give me a lot of information about where you are on the great spectrum of human existence.

And I am interested in that.

olds, i was just pissed that i got the standard dad xmas presents.....socks n undies :lol: maybe you were to :arrow: :idea: :!:
and u did completely rubbish me with your comment. i was writing a quick, i guess short laymans term sentence, thats all. now lets get over it mate, and in the words of that filthy ranga you love soooo much...moving forward... 8)

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:37 am

I assume the nice pulse of swell from Saturday to Monday was courtesy of the little prickly tease Freda. It kicked a bit Sunday, even more on Monday. Was east and very well defined and pulsey. Maxed at the odd odd 4 footer but was a fairly consistent 3 foot on the sets. My fave backbeach was primo on the Saturday under east swell and nor/nor east winds.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:07 am

brendo wrote:olds, i was just pissed that i got the standard dad xmas presents.....socks n undies :lol: maybe you were to :arrow: :idea: :!:
and u did completely rubbish me with your comment. i was writing a quick, i guess short laymans term sentence, thats all. now lets get over it mate, and in the words of that filthy ranga you love soooo much...moving forward... 8)
Done, it's all gone, not pissed about it then and not now, but I'm not going to be moving forward. God I hate that phrase.

Imagine this, some highly paid staffer or consultant came up with that phrase 'moving forward'. Makes me want to puke thinking about it. I don't have the highest opinion of my fellow man, but by god I give them more credit than thinking that was a good idea.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.