Winter, How's it looking

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Grooter
Duke Status

Re: Winter, How's it looking

Post by Grooter » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:23 pm

Swellnet wrote:It should be noted that this swell will be only for the most experienced surfers, and if you are not confident in your ability, please don't head out as you'll put yourself and your rescuers in unnecessary danger.
C'mon Craig it's not gonna be that bad is it :D

In all seriousness you make my day when you forecast conditions lke this, a couple of spots I love will be working beautifully as a result
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:57 am

Some fecking damn impressive swell periods in the water this morning (20-22sec). You certainly don't see that in SE Qld very often!!!

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:52 pm

Hatchman wrote:
Swellnet wrote:It should be noted that this swell will be only for the most experienced surfers, and if you are not confident in your ability, please don't head out as you'll put yourself and your rescuers in unnecessary danger.

In all seriousness you make my day when you forecast conditions lke this, a couple of spots I love will be working beautifully as a result
So how you go Hatchy, pretty big and bad ay! Probably one of the biggest swells in quite a while!

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:17 pm

I've been impressed the way this thing seems to be parking itself under our swell window and re-orienting itself slightly and pumping up more swell for days.

Most prolonged swell from one swell source ever maybe. I can't remember anything like it on the east coast.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:56 pm

SAsurfa wrote:
Hatchman wrote:

So how you go Hatchy, pretty big and bad ay! Probably one of the biggest swells in quite a while!
It was amasing mate. Surfing a 2 metre plus swell at Shoreham. Definitely a one-off in a year event.

I even saw waves breaking out in Westernport Bay that I've never seen before.

Bells must have been mental
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Scroty
regular

Post by Scroty » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:05 am

nuffink ngo wrote:the predicted upcoming swell is just gonna march on by on the east coast.
Nice call, nostradamus. :)

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:20 pm

dissapiontment we got none of it up here, would have loved some solid waves
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:33 pm

Digger, S'ly swells in SE Qld are synonymous with dissappointment!!!

And to be honest, there's very few locations in SE Qld that can handle a 16 second+ solid groundswell.

Looking to the east now!!!

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:03 pm

Donweather wrote:Digger, S'ly swells in SE Qld are synonymous with dissappointment!!!

And to be honest, there's very few locations in SE Qld that can handle a 16 second+ solid groundswell.

Looking to the east now!!!

ahh, just dreaming of my past surfing the northern beaches and a few semi secret spots in big southerly swells when it wasnt so crowded. Oh well :(

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:50 pm

diggerdickson wrote:dissapiontment we got none of it up here, would have loved some solid waves
There were some nice long walls of reasonable size at my local around midday with a manageable crew on it. Me? I'm getting over some nasty stomach bug and couldn't have struggled into my wetsuit (or even boardies) let alone paddle ou. Planning for Friday. Any joy DonW?
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:14 am

TrevG wrote: Me? I'm getting over some nasty stomach bug and couldn't have struggled into my wetsuit (or even boardies) let alone paddle out.
Have you got the dreaded vomitting and diarhea virus Trev? Our youngest has had this since Saturday.....not pretty at all!!!
TrevG wrote:Planning for Friday. Any joy DonW?
Unfortunately not Trev with really only small weak wind swell on the cards, combined with some small (less than 2ft) residual inconsistent S'ly groundswell. Winds look woeful onshore up your way as well. Sorry mate. :(

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:53 pm

Donweather wrote:
TrevG wrote: Me? I'm getting over some nasty stomach bug and couldn't have struggled into my wetsuit (or even boardies) let alone paddle out.
Have you got the dreaded vomitting and diarhea virus Trev? Our youngest has had this since Saturday.....not pretty at all!!!
TrevG wrote:Planning for Friday. Any joy DonW?
Unfortunately not Trev with really only small weak wind swell on the cards, combined with some small (less than 2ft) residual inconsistent S'ly groundswell. Winds look woeful onshore up your way as well. Sorry mate. :(
You're a bundle of good news Don. Thanks. :mrgreen: :wink:
Yeah. That's the bug. Came on about 8am Friday just as I got to work. Went home at Noon. Took me till yesterday to begin to get on top of it and managed a surf at lunchtime today. I've lost 4 kg. Still managed to clock up an hour and a half so I surprised myself.
Since I caught it I've managed to give it to my sister in law who's place I stayed In Brissie on Friday night. Then my wife who copped it even worse then I did. And I caught it off my son when I watched the State of Origin at his place on Wednesday night.
Chemist tells me it's all over the place ATM. I don't normally get sick except for some sinus occasionaly. Hope your little person is OK.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Glad you're on the mend Trev. My little man is OK. He got it on Saturday, but was better on Sunday and Monday, but got a re-occurrence of it last night, hence I'm at home with him today. He seems better so far (touch wood). It's gone right through daycare and it sounds like it spreads like wild fire!!!

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:43 pm

The question has to be asked.....................Has Spring Sprung early?? :evil:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:52 pm

Well it 's incontrovertible that we've slipped into a Spring pattern.

Question is will we break out of it and go back to the winter pattern.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:06 pm

And with ENSO neutral conditions forecast by the majority of models to continue well into our Spring and Summer, it's not looking overly great IMO.

Question is, with neutral conditions forecast, where does one look for their next OS Surfari??

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:44 pm

Donweather wrote:And with ENSO neutral conditions forecast by the majority of models to continue well into our Spring and Summer, it's not looking overly great IMO.

Question is, with neutral conditions forecast, where does one look for their next OS Surfari??
Dont worry don, ledge will be leaving soon and the next swell will be arriving right on cue. I bloody hope so anyway :twisted:

lostman
charger

Post by lostman » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:13 am

INDO!!! :shock: :shock:
indi_height_00hr.png
andy2476 wrote:my regular cafes have specialty barristas.