Summer. How's it lookin?

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Re: Summer. How's it lookin?

Post by Donweather » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:38 pm

EC and GFS aligning reasonably well for some solid E'ly groundswell to light up Qld/NSW later this week and into early next week!!! :shock: Oh and did someone say light winds!!! :D :D

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:02 pm

Forget that one Brendo. If this GFS model comes off (which at present isn't too far from the EC model) then god help the east coast!!! This thing would generate an 8-10ft E'ly groundswell around next Monday 17th January!! :shock: :shock:
GFS144.png

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:19 pm

^^^^FMD :!: :shock:

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:52 pm

Don, would I be right in saying that this coming Sunday morning is looking stellar for SEQ?

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:02 pm

Sh.ithouse for Victorians

Week of onshores last week and crappy junky surf. Wednesday was the only decent day but that's nothing to rave about. More of the same this week by the looks of it.

Week between Xmas and New Years was better but not by much

The early morning light northerlies and the 1.5 - 2 metre swells we traditionally get are nowhere to be seen, instead we've had more fcuken southerlies in a row than we'd normally get during winter :x
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:12 pm

bumfluff wrote:Don, would I be right in saying that this coming Sunday morning is looking stellar for SEQ?
Please define "stellar" BF? Swell, yes siree....a building solid E'ly groundswell. Winds, yes, light and variable. Finding a non-crowded point that can handle this swell................................boooohoooo, not stellar.

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:47 pm

Donweather wrote:
bumfluff wrote:Don, would I be right in saying that this coming Sunday morning is looking stellar for SEQ?
Please define "stellar" BF? Swell, yes siree....a building solid E'ly groundswell. Winds, yes, light and variable. Finding a non-crowded point that can handle this swell................................boooohoooo, not stellar.
Well it would be the best conditions we've had here for a long time. For SEQ we've got light WSW winds early Sunday morning and what's looking like 6ft swell.

And as for the crowds....well:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:57 pm

bumfluff wrote:Well it would be the best conditions we've had here for a long time.
yeah, but'll probably be blown out by the time Swellnet does their surf report. Must be torture, sitting inside waiting to see what the conditions were like before the reporter went for a paddle.
bumfluff wrote:For SEQ we've got light WSW winds early Sunday morning and what's looking like 6ft swell.
don't tell me you've figured out how to find a wind forecast?! :shock:
don't tell your friends!
Donweather wrote:Finding a non-crowded point that can handle this swell................................

if the rain keeps up, maybe Kangaroo Pt? :D

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:11 pm

alakaboo wrote:
bumfluff wrote:For SEQ we've got light WSW winds early Sunday morning and what's looking like 6ft swell.
don't tell me you've figured out how to find a wind forecast?! :shock:
don't tell your friends!
Yep, and you watch it change to straight East by the time Sunday comes around :roll:

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:45 pm

bumfluff wrote:Well it would be the best conditions we've had here for a long time. For SEQ we've got light WSW winds early Sunday morning and what's looking like 6ft swell.
Models for the SC have already backflipped on light winds for Sunday morning and they've also pushed back the arrival time of the peak in the E'ly groundswell so Sunday morning might just have a particular beachie that's surfable.

Monday is likely to be a very different story mind you (assuming the latest GFS comes to fruition).

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:22 pm

Pffffft.... See! :D

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:10 pm

I've still got light SSW for Sunday morning so that's all I'm gonna look at.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:20 pm

Forgetting the current rain conditions up north .........................

And that it wasn't even a cyclone produced rain event .................................

The chances of solid swell lasting for a week or more for most of qld and nsw looks pretty high right now.

I'm still tipping for good swell to last until February, when SASurfa is due to return from a knee injury, after which there will be a protracted flat spell.

:mrgreen:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:31 pm

oldman wrote:The chances of solid swell lasting for a week or more for most of qld and nsw looks pretty high right now.
Yes, the models now have the system stalling in the Tasman Sea next week and whilst only a compact fetch it should certainly keep the east coast topped up well into mid-late next week!!!

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:41 pm

The wind forecast for the weekend has changed AGAIN. Now it's looking like Monday morning is the go and Sat and Sun will be SE.

The swell forecast has picked up a notch too though and is currently at 7 foot :shock:

Monday morning has 7 foot predicted and SW/WSW early. Sweet baby jesus... :shock: :shock:

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:48 pm

bumfluff wrote:Monday morning has 7 foot predicted and SW/WSW early. Sweet baby jesus... :shock: :shock:
Based on latest forecasts bumfluff, me thinks Monday morning at open beaches could well be considerably larger than 7ft!!!!

I'd be thinking 8ft+ (although my calcs show this peak to occur overnight Sunday :( ) come Monday morning is possible at open beaches.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:51 pm

bumfluff wrote:The wind forecast for the weekend has changed AGAIN. Now it's looking like Monday morning is the go and Sat and Sun will be SE.

The swell forecast has picked up a notch too though and is currently at 7 foot :shock:

Monday morning has 7 foot predicted and SW/WSW early. Sweet baby jesus... :shock: :shock:

Im starting to salavate, piture homer drooling over food and thats me, hey bumfluff I got monday off how about you
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".