Summer. How's it lookin?

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Re: Summer. How's it lookin?

Post by Donweather » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:51 pm

Digger, these TC's (TC Anthony) up in the Coral Sea are always hard to predict swell from as it's a tough one to know the swell window east of the Great Barrier Reef as the NE swell marches down.

In saying that, we could see something from TC Anthony possibly late on Australia Day or into Thursday 27th. Tough to call size, but it could be 3-4ft NE swell on Thursday if the reef doesn't block it?

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:57 pm

TC Wilma has gone WILD with sustained winds at her core of 115knts and wind gusts up to 140knts. Now granted she's a compact little thing, but bugger me with wind strengths and gusts like that, one can certainly expect some swell to sneak under the radar (both in terms of swell heights and timing of the swell).

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:46 pm

That weatherman tools prediction of big swells never came true, surprise surprise :D
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:05 am

Donweather wrote:TC Wilma has gone WILD with sustained winds at her core of 115knts and wind gusts up to 140knts. Now granted she's a compact little thing, but bugger me with wind strengths and gusts like that, one can certainly expect some swell to sneak under the radar (both in terms of swell heights and timing of the swell).
I'll be ready mate. 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:46 pm

Yep, conditions are looking good for your local this weekend Trev, although winds look a little dicey come Sunday.

Saturday hopefully they've got enough SE in them to remain protected at your local.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:05 pm

For those weekend warriors in SE Qld, here's my thoughts.

http://www.surfphotos.com.au/weekend-su ... y-29th30th

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:48 pm

swell started picking up 4 pm....it's been nothin like your prediction up here :shock:

wind was strong s.e at cooly early, points never got over 3 ft @ noosa :cry: :cry:

the tide was a killer but bigger sets started arriving late this arvo ( bigger in the qld sense :roll: )

i suspect it will peak overnite and be gone early am :cry:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:50 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:it's been nothin like your prediction up here :shock:
Yeah I know. I went out on a limb with the 5-6ft call (noting that this was for open beaches with a foot or so smaller at the protected points, so that would mean my forecast for the protected points was 4-5ft....but yes, still short of that, I know).

Although I note that Steve acknowledged that south of the border got the odd freak 6ft set late yesterday (Saturday) afternoon.

Burleigh was 4-5ft yesterday morning on the outer banks and the swell peaked mid Saturday.

Nevermind, you win some and you lose some.

So where's good in a E/NE groundswell and E/NE winds Tim?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:04 pm

Donweather wrote: So where's good in a E/NE groundswell and E/NE winds Tim?
I know!
I know!
:wink:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:50 pm

after talking to a local who has just moved here so do I :lol:
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:33 am

I'm pretty sure both you blokes are talking about the same spot.

Winds still a tough one although just checked the EC model and they don't look as bad as the GFS model is progging up your way.

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:42 pm

Updating Haydon Walkers weather predictions that forecast 4 cyclones will cross the Queensland coastline.
His first call was for a cyclone to cross the coast around Australia day (in JANUARY not FEBRUARY).
Late sunday the 30th of January, Cyclone Anthony crossed the coastline, that's 3 days after Australia day.
So far he is one from one and it looks like being two from two if the BOM forecasts are correct about Yasi crossing the coast next thursday the 3rd of February.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:07 pm

Beanpole

Skipper

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:51 pm

carvin marvin wrote:Updating Haydon Walkers weather predictions that forecast 4 cyclones will cross the Queensland coastline.
His first call was for a cyclone to cross the coast around Australia day (in JANUARY not FEBRUARY).
Late sunday the 30th of January, Cyclone Anthony crossed the coastline, that's 3 days after Australia day.
So far he is one from one and it looks like being two from two if the BOM forecasts are correct about Yasi crossing the coast next thursday the 3rd of February.
I'll ask the question again....when he say's "around" Australia day is that 1 day either side, 1 week or 1 month? Yep, OK, he got lucky with Anthony, but to be honest, when he made that prediction, most long range models were already progging a TC of some sorts in the Coral Sea "around" Australia Day.

And he looks to be supposedly on track for 1 of his 2 TC's making landfall in February, but once again to be honest, predicting 2 TC's to make landfall in Qld in February in an extreme La Nina event is not rocket science.

But I take my hat off to him in that he's got 2 of his predictions come to fruition....but let's see what pans out in the longer term, out past what someone with any weather knowledge could have seen in the long range charts 10 days ago.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:54 pm

TrevG wrote:How spectacular is this.

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/sohemi/sohemil ... mscol.html
Yeah pretty spectacular hey!!!

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:46 pm

hmmm...i think australia could be a darker mauve or maybe pinker :idea: ...but it's pretty cool no less

and sorry bust any bubbles about scoring mysto southern secret spot

@ least on your own....the crew that have it as the spot for thursday will make noosa crowds look bearable :roll:

your only hope be if the winds do mess it around :|

or u enjoy surfing with thousands :!:

p.s whats do u suggest things be like further nth don? ( all is forgiven from the weekend forecast :mrgreen: )
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:51 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:p.s whats do u suggest things be like further nth don? ( all is forgiven from the weekend forecast :mrgreen: )
LOL. When you say further north, how much further.....up near where you went last cyclone hunting? Winds look bad the further north you go.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:30 am

Donweather wrote:
mustkillmulloway wrote:p.s whats do u suggest things be like further nth don? ( all is forgiven from the weekend forecast :mrgreen: )
LOL. When you say further north, how much further.....up near where you went last cyclone hunting? Winds look bad the further north you go.
Was just thinking about that myself yesterday. "Self', I thinks, 'maybe time to give Fong a call about a trip north". 8)
However, I also decided the winds might be a killer so I'll watch for a day or two more. Gotta work Wednesday anyway.
Beanpole

Skipper