Wave Model Land Mass Resolution

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Wave Model Land Mass Resolution

Post by Donweather » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:05 pm

Does anyone know how accurately the wave models respresent land masses, in particular little islands off Australia's east coast?

Running some numbers and looking at great circle paths, me thinks something just may sneak under the radar for Friday and Saturday this week, even more so for your southern folk, closer to the action. Only thing is, the swell peak looks to occur Friday afternoon, and possibly overnight Friday, and as such, it probably wont be able to be verified by you folk on the ground down there.

Forerunners could well be detected Friday morning mind you.

Quangers
Local

Re: Wave Model Land Mass Resolution

Post by Quangers » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:53 pm

How far south?? Further than Ulladulla?

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:23 pm

Ya dream'n!

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:33 pm

SAsurfa wrote:Ya dream'n!
Maybe, maybe not................. :wink:

Seriously though Craig, do you know how the models model land masses....do they use a series of blockouts as such, and if the resolution is to course then when these fetches are right on the limits (of swell windows), it could underestimate the size that passes around the tip?

Let's see what the wave buoys pick up throughout Friday.....although that small low off the coast down near your way may contaminate the data somewhat??

Don't get me wrong, it aint gonna be 6ft or nothin.......perhaps 2-3ft at south facing beaches if luck is on my side (Sydney and south).