Quantum Physics and the like...

Have an environmental cause? Announce and discuss here.

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, beach_defender, Forum Moderators

PDK
Grommet

Post by PDK » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:05 pm

[email protected] wrote:Has there been actual proof beyond theory? If so, how does this change "everything"?

As far as I know .... no but if they exist it has been hypothesized that in the future they might provide a pathway of "travelling" very fast (much faster than the speed of light) across the universe therefore it could be irrelevant how big the universe expands to.

Science fiction stuff hey! Have you cheered up yet Damage?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:08 pm

PDK wrote:Have you cheered up yet Damage?

Damaged Damage, not split ends again? :D You need a new hair routine after surfing young man...

Should I? Nah I shouldn't, too out there for we earth bound... can’t back it up with science or anything else for that matter.

Sorry, I’ve probably just lobbed another grenade... :x

Hey Damage, saw some of that stated on a doco on SBS a while back. Think it was a lady scientist who was heavily involved. Stuffed if I can remember what it was called, might have been listed in here already. Lot of conjecture though amongst the boffins as I recall.

Colonel Fiction
regular

Post by Colonel Fiction » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:38 pm

James Peebles, a Princeton cosmologist, said there were more pressing worries. We might be headed toward a universe that is “asymptotically empty,” he said, “But I have the uneasy feeling that the U.S.A. is headed into asymptotic futility well before that.”

Touche.

Great artcle, thanks Damage.

Depressing? I've always been a fan of the notion of the Closed Universe - one that expands for a while but eventually contracts again into a singularity and explodes with a new Big Bang to create a new universe and re-start a never-ending cycle of expansion and contraction.

So if, as current thinking suggests, the reality is something other than a closed universe, then yep, I'm depressed about it.

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:39 am

Colonel Fiction wrote:
So if, as current thinking suggests, the reality is something other than a closed universe, then yep, I'm depressed about it.

Yeah the whole never-ending cycle probably makes the most sense 'logically'.

But its just the whole every-galaxy-moving-away-from-every-other-galaxy-faster-and-faster business that has everyone scratching their heads. :?

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:04 pm

Hey Nerds the 18th International conference on General Relativity and Gravitiation is on in Sydney this week and there are a few public lectures that would be worth going to for those even slightly inclined.

There at the Sydney Convention Centre, one tomorrow nite and one friday nite.

The friday night lecture is by Roger Penrose who is like the Wayne Bartholomew of quantum physics ....... he doens't make it here very often so this is quite a special event for us sydney-siders.

They, I imagine, would be covering quite a few issues that have popped up on this thread from time to time.

Tues night lecture: The Warped Side of the Universe From the Big Bang to Black Holes and Gravitational Waves :!:

Fri night lecture: What Happened Before the Big Bang? 8)

Tickets and more info here:

http://www.grg18.com/www/lectures.html

PDK
Grommet

Post by PDK » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:03 pm

Kwuueel! Thx Damage.

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:21 pm

Ok then I went to the Penrose lecture last friday night and am happy to report back to my fellow rsurfers that it was completely enthralling.

Here's a sort of write-up that i pinched from the Sydney Observatory website:

What was there before the Big Bang? - a new theory from Roger Penrose

Sir Roger Penrose, from the 7th Edoardo Amaldi Conference on Gravitational Waves

On Friday evening, 13 July 2007, the British physicist, Sir Roger Penrose, gave a mind-expanding and mind-boggling talk at the Darling Harbour Convention Centre. The public lecture was part of the 7th Edoardo Amaldi Conference on Gravitational Waves and it involved the presentation of the Dirac Medal of the University of NSW to Sir Roger.

Until now the official answer to the question of what was there before the Big Bang was that we do not know and we will never know as time only began at the Big Bang. About two years ago Sir Roger thinks he may have found an answer that he presented to a fascinated audience in the Bayside Auditorium. Your humble blogger attended the lecture and attempts a brief summary below:

He started by stressing the importance of the second law of thermodynamics that states that disorder or entropy must always increase. For example, at the Big Bang the Universe began in a low entropy state as illustrated by studies of background radiation left over from shortly after that time, the cosmic microwave background. Since then entropy has always increased.

Sir Roger also mentioned the Weyl curvature. This is a property of space that leads to the bending of light rays from distant galaxies by ones in the foreground - usually referred to as gravitational lensing. His Weyl curvature hypothesis proposes that the Weyl curvature was zero at the big bang.

Pay attention now this is the crux of the matter !

According to the new theory as the Universe expands all the particles of matter are collected into black holes. These destroy the information content of matter and hence reduce entropy. The black holes radiate Hawkins radiation and after a very very very long time disappear - for instance for a three million solar mass black hole like the one at the centre of the Milky Way the time is 10 to the power of 84 years. When all matter has disappeared and entropy has been reduced a new Big Bang can take place. Sir Roger calls this sequence of one universe being formed after the death of the previous one conformal cyclic cosmology.

There are observational consequences of the theory as the previous Universe may have left behind a faint subtle pattern in the cosmic microwave background. It is now up to observational cosmologists to search for that tell-tale pattern.

:shock: 8)

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:47 pm

Think he was on jjj with karl on thursday :arrow: was going for a surf and my mind was on other things, if you can cast your mind back to last thurs surf I think you'll understand why my mind was on other things BUT you can download it and I suggest youse do;

And there's a great quote near the end that goes something like:

"quantum physics is really hard to understand for two reasons;
a. because it's hard to understand
b. because it doesn't make sense"
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

special_k
regular

Post by special_k » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:49 pm

An amazing lecture.

Good summation Damage.

offshore1
Snowy McAllister

Post by offshore1 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:43 am

Yeah, but, what about that universe banging away right next door to ours? :x (Don't worry, I've already called the cops :wink: )

Are we so "universecentric" as to think that ours is the only universe that bangs? Kind of like early man thinking the earth was the centre of it all, isn't it.
What if there are billions of these "universes" like ours, banging away like kk on a Pomeranian, an infinite number even?

I have a hard time imagining that there is only one "universe" pulsing, as it were, ours, and nothing else. :)

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:47 pm

It seems i missed out on a damn good thing :(

Da Duke
Local

Post by Da Duke » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:14 pm

Chamberess wrote:It seems i missed out on a damn good thing :(

Relax Doll-face, there's still 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 yrs left in this one.

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:15 pm

Note to the nerds: Ultimo Science Festival starts tomorrow

My pick is Thursdays: The Science of Beer with Dr Han (of the Hahn Brewery)

special_k
regular

Post by special_k » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:14 pm

Chamberess wrote:Note to the nerds: Ultimo Science Festival starts tomorrow

My pick is Thursdays: The Science of Beer with Dr Han (of the Hahn Brewery)

Ok I'll meet you there around lunchtime. I'm blonde 6' 2" blue eyes. Will be wearing Paper Denim dark blue jeans with a light cream Comme des Garcons cashmere sweater.

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:02 am

That was hot until you started to sound like you know wayyyyyyy too much about apparel for men.

Diesel Viker jeans, brown havaianas and a cool tshirt from Threadless or The Ryde...now thats a hot look on a guy.

Back on topic: The total Lunar Eclipse kicks in Tuesday next week...anyone see the moon last night..amazing 8)

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:30 pm

Stop Press!!

Massive hole found in Universe!!

Read on:

The universe has a huge hole in it that dwarfs anything else of its kind. 8)

The discovery caught astronomers by surprise.

The hole is nearly a billion light-years across. It is not a black hole, which is a small sphere of densely packed matter. Rather, this one is mostly devoid of stars, gas and other normal matter, and it's also strangely empty of the mysterious "dark matter" that permeates the cosmos. Other space voids have been found before, but nothing on this scale. :shock:

Astronomers don't know why the hole is there. :o

"Not only has no one ever found a void this big, but we never even expected to find one this size," said researcher Lawrence Rudnick of the University of Minnesota.

Rudnick's colleague Liliya R. Williams also had not anticipated this finding. :oops:

"What we've found is not normal, based on either observational studies or on computer simulations of the large-scale evolution of the universe," said Williams, also of the University of Minnesota.

The finding will be detailed in the Astrophysical Journal.

The universe is populated with visible stars, gas and dust, but most of the matter in the universe is invisible. Scientists know something is there, because they can measure the gravitational effects of the so-called dark matter. Voids exist, but they are typically relatively small.

The gargantuan hole was found by examining observations made using the Very Large Array (VLA) radio telescope, funded by the National Science Foundation.

There is a "remarkable drop in the number of galaxies" in a region of sky in the constellation Eridanus, Rudnick said.

The region had been previously been dubbed the "WMAP Cold Spot," because it stood out in a map of the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) radiation made by NASA's Wilkinson Microwave Anisotopy Probe (WMAP) satellite. The CMB is an imprint of radiation left from the Big Bang, the theoretical beginning of the universe.

"Although our surprising results need independent confirmation, the slightly colder temperature of the CMB in this region appears to be caused by a huge hole devoid of nearly all matter roughly 6 to 10 billion light-years from Earth," Rudnick said.

Photons of the CMB gain a small amount of energy when they pass through normal regions of space with matter, the researchers explained. But when the CMB passes through a void, the photons lose energy, making the CMB from that part of the sky appear cooler.

:!: :D

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:27 pm

Damage wrote:Massive hole found in Universe!!

It wasn’t me! :D
Damage wrote:most of the matter in the universe is invisible

And that’s the stuff (technical term) that does matter.

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:56 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
Damage wrote:most of the matter in the universe is invisible

And that’s the stuff (technical term) that does matter.

Ironical eh?