Quantum Physics and the like...

Have an environmental cause? Announce and discuss here.

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, beach_defender, Forum Moderators

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:12 pm

Thought i'd start up a new thread given we headed into a bit of a tangent in the fur seals topic (and if i put it in tangents someone would turn this topic to crap)

Am definitely interested to hear suggestions on good reads/docos in the domain of quantum phsyics and science in general.

I checked out the elegant universe series which was great to see.Havnt actually read the book but its on my next list of purchases.

Has anyone got some other good reading material to suggest?

Carbon
regular

Post by Carbon » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:33 pm

What the bleep do we know

and

What the bleep do we know "Down the rabbit hole"

mind bending
smnmntl wrote:Matty.... surfers don't talk to each other in the water because many of them are secretly gay and just want to bum each other off.

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:00 am

Can't check my bookshelf,

And excuse my ignorance (though they say anyone that reckons they understand quantum physics is full of it...) but is superstring theory classified as quantum? Read a bit about that years ago but never chased up the science side of things since. Has this been discredited, supported in certain circles (or loops..... :wink: ), taken the lead as a theory, etc?

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:05 am

oh by the way chompers, 1954 posts, same year you were born, congrats! :wink:

snakes
barnacle

Post by snakes » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:15 am

Carbon wrote:What the bleep do we know

and

What the bleep do we know "Down the rabbit hole"

mind bending

LOR!

snakes

cambo
regular

book suggestion

Post by cambo » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:39 am

http://carnap.umd.edu/bub/

That should get you started ;-)

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:07 am

Dae wrote:Can't check my bookshelf,

And excuse my ignorance (though they say anyone that reckons they understand quantum physics is full of it...) but is superstring theory classified as quantum? Read a bit about that years ago but never chased up the science side of things since. Has this been discredited, supported in certain circles (or loops..... :wink: ), taken the lead as a theory, etc?
Strings and strands D-Dae. Don’t profess to understand much of the science stuff but it is interesting to say the least... a universe of numbers, patterns, Fibonacci sequence, PHI... but with reference to understanding I came across this quote the other day which goes some length to explaining the problem...

The regimented language of words built upon the intellect is too limited to do justice to the work in its entirety. “Sometimes similar takes place when scientists today say that the facts of experimental physics have become too complex to be able to be describe them in conventional language,” says Harald Szeemann, the independent curator of the Zurich Kunsthaus in Switzerland. The scientist makes use of pictorial symbols, relationship symbols, and formulas in order to be able to make complex relationships visible and plausible.

Maybe there is a simple solution right in front of us?

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:10 am

ah but the world of formal mathematics can be complex in its own right Ric :wink:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:23 am

Chamberess wrote:ah but the world of formal mathematics can be complex in its own right Ric :wink:
yes and mathematicians think it is beautiful :shock: sad really

snakes
barnacle

Re: Quantum Physics and the like...

Post by snakes » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:14 pm

Chamberess wrote:Has anyone got some other good reading material to suggest?

Easy.

Quantum Physics for dummies :wink:

Actually U-Syd had a play on at the Seymour Centre last week called Quantum Tunnelling for dummies.

Was a good piss-take about life as a science student paying out on arts, engineering and social sciences' students as well as a few political and left field topics like the 2 trapped miners from Tasmania.

snakes

boogaloo
Local

Post by boogaloo » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:00 pm

'A Quantum of Common Sense' by David Morgan at SkepticReport is a good intro.
http://www.skepticreport.com/pseudoscience/quantum.htm

You could also read 'The Quark and the Jaguar' by Murray Gell-Mann.
Check out Jeffrey Mishlove's interview of Gell-Mann here:
http://www.intuition.org/txt/gell1.htm

Then if you really want to shit your pants laughing you could go and see 'What the Bleep'.
Last edited by boogaloo on Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

vb
Local

Post by vb » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:34 pm

I wouldn't know a singularity from a quark but do enjoy a daily dabble in the NASA run APOD (Astronomy Picture Of the Day) site. Archive section can keep you going for years

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:59 pm

Used to spend a bit of time there myself vb, always enjoyed the daily look, dunno why I stopped.

Ric, not the first time and in not the only area that the human intellect and the consctructs of it have been described as limited in relation to understanding things of the universe. The problem with us is that we have decreed ourselves as lords of the place and therefore must have answers for everything. Kinda like describing the visual sprectrum as the beginning and the end of the sprectrum, simply 'cause that's all we can see. Religion is a good example of coming up with answers to questions we can't answer.....

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:16 pm

Dae wrote:Used to spend a bit of time there myself vb, always enjoyed the daily look, dunno why I stopped.

Ric, not the first time and in not the only area that the human intellect and the consctructs of it have been described as limited in relation to understanding things of the universe. The problem with us is that we have decreed ourselves as lords of the place and therefore must have answers for everything. Kinda like describing the visual sprectrum as the beginning and the end of the sprectrum, simply 'cause that's all we can see. Religion is a good example of coming up with answers to questions we can't answer.....

excellent summation mate.

boogaloo
Local

Post by boogaloo » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:46 pm

Some religions are good examples of systems created to control people and stop them searching for answers outside the limits set by those in power.

vb
Local

Post by vb » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:34 pm

"Religion is bunk'' ... Henry Ford, 1984 (or was it brave new world?)

Hawkeye
barnacle

Post by Hawkeye » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:37 pm

Fortunately the truth comes out eventually. Might take awhile, sometimes, but it's kind of like farting in the bathtub - it comes to the surface eventually.

The interesting thing is that science has its own "establishment", and the internal politics is just as vicious.

boogaloo
Local

Post by boogaloo » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:31 pm

As vicious as what? The Inquisition, the burning at the stake of witches and heretics?