Oz is Number 1 !!!

Have an environmental cause? Announce and discuss here.

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, beach_defender, Forum Moderators

offshore1
Snowy McAllister

Oz is Number 1 !!!

Post by offshore1 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:14 am

You may not like the looks of this but numbers don't lie: yeeeeoooowwch!

My take on it is that Australians, given the continent's small population, enjoy the resource-intensive "western " lifestyle more demographically fully than other, western, nations who are, by and large, saddled with vast swaths of disenfranchised, resource-deprived underclasses who bring their countries' per-capita carbon numbers lower.
Anyone else game to explain the possibly embarrassing whys and wherefores of Australia's 'number one' position in the world for per capita carbon spew?
puurri?
have ya gotten to 5k yet? (at least you've got a wooden sailboat.)
ajohnsen wrote: My tertiary education has been a bit like a blind woman with sudden onset diarrhea in a bathroom accessories showroom.

munch
Harry the Hat

Re: Oz is Number 1 !!!

Post by munch » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:47 am

* sparseness of population and distance between major cities and the travel this entails -> more plane travel, more cars, more roads, further for goods to travel ...
* It's the hottest drie'est continent, it's more expensive to cool than heat and water has to be pumped long distances and made :roll: ...
* the further energy travels through lines the bigger the losses and our power stations are a long way away ( i think these are around 15%)
* we are idiots and burn coal for energy ( nuclear being the major for the others which we don't need given the abundance of solar and thermal)
* we are good consumers as capitalism tells us we should be :cry:
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

offshore1
Snowy McAllister

Post by offshore1 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:14 am

Yeh munch, ya'd think solar'd be almost too easy.
Mebbe next decade......
ajohnsen wrote: My tertiary education has been a bit like a blind woman with sudden onset diarrhea in a bathroom accessories showroom.

boogaloo
Local

Post by boogaloo » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:51 am

It's the dogs: http://www.smh.com.au/national/is-it-re ... -kpt1.html
"ECO-FRIENDLINESS
Winner: Cats. The average cat requires 0.15 hectares of land a year to keep it fed, while a medium-sized dog needs 0.84 hectares."

Plus the cnuts who fly all around the world to surf.

Euthanise them all, :mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen: problem solved! 8)

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:57 am

What's really disappointing is the fourth page - like we didn't even rate.

Given we have politicians who don't believe in climate change it shouldn't really surprise me - but we have our insular little worlds, where on a day to day basis we don't interact with "liberals" (there's misnomer if there ever was one).

FWIW offy - Coffs Harbor and there abouts is now getting it's 5th or 6th flooding this year, the bottom of the continent (island if you wish) is on fire, ... fark you'd have to be blind, deaf and mentally retarded to think it's from natural fluctuations.
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

monkey
regular

Post by monkey » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:44 pm

munch wrote:What's really disappointing is the fourth page - like we didn't even rate.

Given we have politicians who don't believe in climate change it shouldn't really surprise me - but we have our insular little worlds, where on a day to day basis we don't interact with "liberals" (there's misnomer if there ever was one).

FWIW offy - Coffs Harbor and there abouts is now getting it's 5th or 6th flooding this year, the bottom of the continent (island if you wish) is on fire, ... fark you'd have to be blind, deaf and mentally retarded to think it's from natural fluctuations.

Why do you think it was called"An Inconvenient Truth" ? Why do people still smoke and get surprised when diagnosed with the big C? Why the mystery that the neglect of public transport has led to horrendous traffic and yet people still want to buy a fkn Hummer or rdiculous 4wd!
Because people are stupid.

Fuschia
Duke Status

Post by Fuschia » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:03 am

I think it's ironic that a site with such massive links to big business should presume to cast stones.
Or maybe they're just trying to take the heat off the USA.
I did some sums based on those figures and some other research and the TOTAL emissions from the major countries are.....
USA..............6,500 billion tons .. (Some modelling reverses P1 and P2 and their figures
China........... 5,200 billion tons .. (but the combined totals are about the same.
Russia...........2,000 billion tons
Japan............1,650 billion tons
India.............1,500 billion tons
Germany........1,000 billion tons
Canada............650 billion tons
Sth Korea.........640 billion tons
UK.................570 billion tons
Italy/ Iran/ Mexico/ RSA/ France/ Saudia Arabia............then
Australia..........450 billion tons (or as low as 370 by some reports).
Loofy wrote
"when i lived in Bellevue hill"

lol :-o

offshore1
Snowy McAllister

Post by offshore1 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:36 pm

Don't think there are any stones being cast, Trev. Just a simple putting down of some facts and figures. As munch said, among other factors, Australia has the harshest climate and sparsest population of any continent ..... while enjoying all the 'western' conveniences.
And all in all, I think you'll find this site fairly impartial, look at this page of the same article, for example: http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/new ... index.html which shows numbers similar to yours.

I may be way off but my belief is that we're all in this carbon jam together and may be able to figure a way out of it.

we'd damn well better.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:46 pm

munch comes up with some good points offshore. The per capita measure is neither here nor there really.

I would wager that Australia has probably the lowest carbon output per square kilometre of any populated nation. Perhaps Greenland beats it. Measuring carbon output per square kilometre is a bit silly, but not much less than measuring carbon output per head of population.

I'm not defending our record at all, BTW.

We supply the world with vast quantities of food and energy, and we do it really efficiently. We could reduce our carbon output per head considerably by not producing so much food or energy, but that wouldn't help anyone.

It's just a really complex problem, and measuring carbon output per head of population is nothing much more than a factoid.

We are in a position to lead the world in generating renewable energy sources, but the reactionary liberal party and their luddite followers don't like the idea of leadership.

Not sure that Kevin Rudd has much interest in leadership either. :?
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

offshore1
Snowy McAllister

Post by offshore1 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:27 am

Well Oldman, I see your point, particularly as regards mining and farming, but, in addition to that, most of Oz is uninhabitable desert or, sadly, overgrazed pastureland; equating to a shi*load of "carbon neutral" square kilometers by default.. My point, by way of explaining the graph, is, in addition to your valid point re mining and crops for export, that most Australians live a fairly standard Western lifestyle: i.e. driving, shopping and tending lawns. Many other , (mostly third world) countries are mined and farmed, sometimes mercilessly, for export, and their per capita numbers are low. It's Australia's larger proportion of the nation's population enjoying the 'well off industrial' lifestyle compared to most if not all other nations that plays an equally important role in per capita usage i reckon.
When the fam and I were in NSW visiting relos a few Christmases ago, from Port Macquarie to Sydney, the Blue Mountains to Wollongong the highways were chockablock with caravans,flash cars, and boats of all sizes on trailers . Yards on the whole appeared well watered and fertilised, despite searing drought and incredible bushfires.

Who rides the bus besides smnmntl and revo? and rev only when his mum can't take 'im.. :mrgreen:

Finally, in light of the article and the reason I posted it, I'm of the opinion that probably ten years from now, certainly by twenty years, energy production and resource usage will be almost unrecognisable to what we take for granted today.

ps. i'd like to hear what puurri thinks :wink: