Whales or the Reef?

Have an environmental cause? Announce and discuss here.

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, beach_defender, Forum Moderators

sammygee

Whales or the Reef?

Post by sammygee » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:32 pm

Absolut (yes the vodka people) are running a global campaign that’s ‘challenging the status quo’ by presenting thought provoking visions of life in “An Absolut World”.

They showcase five 'visions', and whichever is voted for the most, they will make come true mid-2008.

One is to protect and nurture whales, another to Save the Barrier Reef.

If anyone wants to chip in their vote, do as I did and vote for the whales (or the Reef). http://www.inanabsolutworld.com.au/.

Thanks guys....
Sammy G....

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:18 pm

done it ........good causes

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:01 pm

Oh come on!

Fellas...fellas...

It's blatant greenwash marketing, don't fall for it. They are riding the green wave and milking it for all it's worth with no bloody intention of doing anything. So Absolut are going to make all travel free? Come now, did you not question how they would do that?

Did you not question any of their other ridiculous claims? Like how they intend to make the Barrier Reef grow on Sydney's doorstep. Or what's their plan to halt climate change? Or why the hell they would rid the world of false celebrity status? (Who's gonna appear in their ads then?)

Look who the PR mouthpieces are - Cavcon! You know their clients? All fashion houses concerned with style over substance. Or in this case, image over action. They're probably patting each other on the back while quaffing free Absolut and leering at underage bulimics during the latest Fashion Week showing.

Their claims are patently absurd. If Absolut do any of the things they claim then I will paddle out North Narrabeen naked with a carrot up my bum.

Sure it doesn't cost anything to vote but giving them recognition advocates their use of cynical marketing ploys and trivialises the real issues.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:42 pm

Yeah i know but it didnt cost me anything and why not ??? I am already a member of an association who does make a difference and encourage more people to check out sea shepherd's web-site.. It will disgust you so much that you too will join and hopefully help sto these Japanese marine life murderers......

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Thu May 01, 2008 12:11 am

Reefer I think you may be thinking a little to realistically :idea:

Of course the response from Absolut will be a tokenistic marketing facade. i.e. they will get a snow blower to cover lennox headland in snow, or build a fake reef in sydney harbour.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Thu May 01, 2008 7:43 am

Oh.....

Yeah, guess I was being a bit literal THC. Should've known that a company that has always relied on shallow marketing ploys will continue in the same vein. Well at least I won't have to do the surf in the buff.

Cheers to that!

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Thu May 01, 2008 7:45 am

too realistic? :lol:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu May 01, 2008 7:49 am

[quote
="wanto"]too realistic? :lol:[/quote]

maybe literally ????

Freshie Boy
regular

Post by Freshie Boy » Thu May 01, 2008 8:24 am

anyone with half a brain would vote for the reefs, even though i doubt this corp will do jacksh*t about it.

coral reefs are biodiversity hotspots and support a ton of endangered or protected species.

i know i'd rather save thousands of species than a handful of species of whale. its called conservation biology. google it.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu May 01, 2008 8:34 am

Freshie Boy wrote:anyone with half a brain would vote for the reefs, even though i doubt this corp will do jacksh*t about it.

coral reefs are biodiversity hotspots and support a ton of endangered or protected species.

i know i'd rather save thousands of species than a handful of species of whale. its called conservation biology. google it.

its not about saving one more than the other, we (humans ) are the reason they are in big trouble and we are the ones who must save both .....

Freshie Boy
regular

Post by Freshie Boy » Thu May 01, 2008 10:06 am

that's true. i wasn't trying to knock anybody.

at this stage though, we can't protect everything, as the money and manpower isn't there.

us humans are pretty sh*t to be honest.

moondoggie
regular

Post by moondoggie » Thu May 01, 2008 1:29 pm

This has got to be BS even if they spent every dollar they had they could never achieve any of these claims...I feel a complaint coming on :shock: - Sect 52 of the Trade Practices Act.

But I'll vote for the Reef :lol: , isn't this the place where the whales spend their summer breeding cycle.

8)

moondoggie
regular

Post by moondoggie » Thu May 01, 2008 1:45 pm

I Voted!!!
But they captured my email address, marketing_c#nts_b#llsh#[email protected] when I voted.
Wonder if they got the message?
Not sure if I will get a reply :wink:

8)