Earth Hour 2008

Have an environmental cause? Announce and discuss here.

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, beach_defender, Forum Moderators

Will this be a sucess?

Yes, golbally we will be more aware.
17%
No, it will be a fizzer. Its too little too late.
33%
Donald Duck
50%

Total votes: 6

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Earth Hour 2008

Post by Kunji » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:48 pm

Earth Hour is this weekend and everyone is encouraged to turn there lights off for 1 hour around the world.

http://www.earthhour.org/

Do you think it will change peoples mind about the way we use fossil fuels or is it merely a sorry attempt that will do little to change the minds of people?

Discuss. Wear your heart on your sleeve and man up!

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:03 pm

quack

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:05 pm

Where ever i am sat night at 8pm im 90% sure everything wont be turned off.

But my home will be i know that for sure.

(it is sat at 8pm isnt it :oops: )

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:05 pm

dinosaur wrote:Is it Okay if I do it at 8 am ?

Yeah be sure to switch off that anal fisting and/or wanking device mate. They look like they'd use up a lot of power.

moreorless
regular

Post by moreorless » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:56 am

Seems a bit too much like a feel-good gimmick hatched by a marketing team on the make.

Sure I waste power all year round, but turning the lights off for one hour on a designated day of the year makes it all all right.

Quack, quack, quack. :roll:

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:50 am

Turning the world into a North Korea simulator for one day might not solve the problem but definetly raises awareness of the issue. But I think the western world is pretty much as aware of the problem as they are ever going to be now. It's really down to governments to start seriously investing in alternative power sources such as nuclear energy.

Back in good old OZ we can shut down the 18th century coal burners for a hour and then flash em up again shouting yehaaa, more cowbell!!!

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:11 am

LONGINUS wrote:Turning the world into a North Korea simulator for one day might not solve the problem but definetly raises awareness of the issue. But I think the western world is pretty much as aware of the problem as they are ever going to be now. It's really down to governments to start seriously investing in alternative power sources such as nuclear energy.

Back in good old OZ we can shut down the 18th century coal burners for a hour and then flash em up again shouting yehaaa, more cowbell!!!

Faaark Longinus...... that's taken me right back to the time when I had a last massive bump of Special K. :shock: Thanks mate.... 8)

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:23 am

lol, yeah, I probably shouldn't have that, might be a bigger cause of epilepsy attacks than those weird japanese cartoon or kikkoman soya sauce ads.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:48 am

I got 20yo fluros, like that's gonna help turning them off and on all the time :roll:

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:35 pm

Shaunm wrote:I got 20yo fluros, like that's gonna help turning them off and on all the time :roll:

lol,yep, you probably have your own little light somewhere on the Homer Simpson style Sydney electricity grid management board.

I bit the bullet and updated all mine with $20 a pop 'green' lightglobes. Guaranteed for 5 years. Imagine my disapointment firstly when the kids hit a cricket ball into one of them, and secondly when I was curling up in bed to read my latest edition of Hunting Dogs Quarterly I had the strangest sensation that I was in some horror movie and the pupils of my eyes were expanding and contracting at a frequency of 60HZ per second.

Alas, sometimes green aint best even if Leonardo Decaprio says it is :cry:

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:55 pm

Apart form the fact that it probably is just a publicity stunt, what I can't work out is why we let every freaking building in town, and every shop with it's neon signs, keep there lights on forever long after everyone has gone home.

The city burns up more energy every night just leaving lights on then you or I will use in 20 years. Make the buggers turn the lights off every night, not just once.

It's always the same thing. Save water you filthy householders, although your use equates to a drop in the bucket while industry and agriculture accounts for about 95% of water use, but no no, it's you terrible householders who wash your cars with a hose. Oh lordy, lets just do publicity stunts until something actually adds up to a hill of beans. That'll fix the environment good and proper.

It's the government you get when you have spineless inept moronic bought-by-industry government combined with a stupid rapacious capitalist system.

We'll be having a candle lit dinner again and enjoying the dark, although the soot from the candles might be worse for the environment than the power we would have used.

cambo
regular

Post by cambo » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:21 pm

oldman wrote:Apart form the fact that it probably is just a publicity stunt, what I can't work out is why we let every freaking building in town, and every shop with it's neon signs, keep there lights on forever long after everyone has gone home.

The city burns up more energy every night just leaving lights on then you or I will use in 20 years. Make the buggers turn the lights off every night, not just once.

Coal-fired generators can't easily be shut down - it takes days to shut down and it takes more days to start them up again.

Whether there are lights on or not, electricity is being generated and carbon emissions are pumping into the environment. Those Avalon residents who turn their electric lights off and then light their aromatherapy candles will be putting out even more carbon.

So in a practical sense "earth hour" is an illusion, but in a marketing sense it just might be a good idea to get people thinking and (as here) discussing the issue.

Really, to save the planet from global warming it would be more practical to kill all your children.

smackthatlip
regular

Post by smackthatlip » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:51 pm

I'll be turning all things electric off for an hour on Sat night. The greatest thing standing in the way of reversing climate change is lethargy and sarcasm. Sure Earth Hour is'nt much and kinda gimmicky, but at least it's something. Even the greatest journey begins with a single step :wink:

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:03 pm

cambo wrote:Really, to save the planet from global warming it would be more practical to kill all your children.
:arrow: :shock: :o :D :lol: :twisted: :shock: :cry: :wink:

(that's a story)

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:54 pm

cambo wrote:[Coal-fired generators can't easily be shut down - it takes days to shut down and it takes more days to start them up again.

Whether there are lights on or not, electricity is being generated and carbon emissions are pumping into the environment. Those Avalon residents who turn their electric lights off and then light their aromatherapy candles will be putting out even more carbon.

So in a practical sense "earth hour" is an illusion, but in a marketing sense it just might be a good idea to get people thinking and (as here) discussing the issue.

Really, to save the planet from global warming it would be more practical to kill all your children.

Yeah it's true cambo, you seemed not to have picked up that I had acknowledged that already. Electricity production peaks during the day and evening and drops off at night. Somehow they manage to reduce the amount of electricity being fed out to account for this without turning off the coal fired generators. Do you think they run them all full bore all the time? They are being constantly managed and don't run all generators at 100% capacity all the time. In fact I think they rarely run their generators at 100% capacity except during short peak periods in summer and winter.

If it was a constant requirement that empty office blocks had their lights out and air conditioning off every night then the demand management curve would change, and real savings could eventuate.

The fact that it is a one-off means that those savings don't happen, so your point is valid for the one night. This was exactly my point, that the savings can only lead to reduced emissions when they effect the overall demand curve, not one-off changes.

Perhaps a less drastic method than killing your children would be to outlaw the killing and husbandry of animals and make everyone vegetarian. It would actually save more water, carbon, methane etc than killing your children and seems much less drastic, don't you think.

cambo
regular

Post by cambo » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:20 pm

oldman wrote:Perhaps a less drastic method than killing your children would be to outlaw the killing and husbandry of animals and make everyone vegetarian. It would actually save more water, carbon, methane etc than killing your children and seems much less drastic, don't you think.

Drastic? If global warming really is the approaching apocalypse, then drastic measures to prevent it are justified.

If global warming is directly caused by humans then it makes obvious sense that reducing the number of humans is an essential initial step (NB: I wasn't suggesting your own children should be killed, this isn't personal - everybody's children should be killed).

Bit of a tough sell politically I admit, but certainly continually *increasing* the population (as is happening now), and increasing all their living standards to "american" standards can only make things worse in global warmness terms.

cambo
regular

Post by cambo » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:42 pm

I was thinking we should probably start with bodyboarders :lol:

Seriously, I was trying to illustrate the difference between a very token "awareness" event such as Earth Hour, and the potential future realities that Earth Hour enthusiasts seem themselves to be unaware of.

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:27 pm

smackthatlip wrote:I'll be turning all things electric off for an hour on Sat night. The greatest thing standing in the way of reversing climate change is lethargy and sarcasm. Sure Earth Hour is'nt much and kinda gimmicky, but at least it's something. Even the greatest journey begins with a single step :wink:

Yes, it was very much a gimmick. All the restaurants just made it seem like some new romantic mood they were putting on to bring in more customers. Not to sound cynical, but the establishments who participated (that i saw) didn't really promote it, they just assumed everyone knew about it.

I spent it at a pub in Coogee with friends, drinking by candle light...awww... :lol:

My company signed up and turned the lights off. They also gave each employee a more energy efficient lightglobe and asked that everyone change one light fitting in their house with it after the lights went back on.

My company is a pretty big market leader in terms of top corporations responding to climate change and adopting more eco-friendly practices.