Japanese whalers slaughter minke and calf in name of science

Have an environmental cause? Announce and discuss here.

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, beach_defender, Forum Moderators

User avatar
Chamberess
Owl status
Posts: 4613
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:35 am
Location: wouldn't you like to know...

Japanese whalers slaughter minke and calf in name of science

Post by Chamberess » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:59 pm

You can stick your science Prime Minister Fakuda!

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/stor ... 52,00.html

This is a sad day for me :cry:

They think the calf was less than a year old,poor baby :cry: :cry:

It almost doesn't seem real..i guess because part of me wishes it just didn't happen.

If this isn't enough proof to ban Japan from any form of whaling i will be peeved bigtime.

User avatar
Revolution
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 5192
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:34 pm
Location: DY.CURL

Post by Revolution » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:06 pm

Out of intrest what have you done to help this cause you care so much about?

Anything other than bitch and moan on an internet forum?

User avatar
Chamberess
Owl status
Posts: 4613
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:35 am
Location: wouldn't you like to know...

Post by Chamberess » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:08 pm

Put that energy to more positive use mate :roll:

User avatar
Revolution
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 5192
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:34 pm
Location: DY.CURL

Post by Revolution » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:13 pm

Ill get right on it when you stop posting about caporia = deal :idea:

But have you dont anything to actually prevent whaling youself? Protest? Donate money? Hand out flyers? Anything rather than just post on some forums?

(honest question)

User avatar
Chamberess
Owl status
Posts: 4613
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:35 am
Location: wouldn't you like to know...

Post by Chamberess » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:28 pm

Honest question? Ok i'll answer your stupid question even though it should be pretty obvious.

I donate to several whale organisations and have bought merchandise, i sign petitions, sign up to newsletters and when there is a protest on i will go to it. It's an issue i feel very strongly about and back my words up with actions.

Sure i care about cruelty to other animals e.g Because 20 endangered Rhinos were killed in a sanctuary in India, 100 armed guards have been sent to protect them. I applaud such moves.

Now please don't waste my time any further. Go and educate yourself.

Scroty
regular
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:13 pm

Post by Scroty » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:37 pm

The claim would be true if someone in Japan opened a restaurant called "Scientific Research".

"We are killing the whales for Scientific Research"

I don't know about that article claiming that the suckling baby would be an easy target though. Surely it would be harder to hit, being smaller.

Nick-W
barnacle
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:17 pm
Location: The Internet

Post by Nick-W » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:43 pm

Chamberess wrote: Go and educate yourself.



This sounds tasty, what site can I got to, to be educated about Chamber?

puurri
Owl status
Posts: 4922
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:56 am
Location: Coogee Heights (estate agent speak)

inuit stuff

Post by puurri » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:52 pm

slightly off topic:

Q:what do baby harp seals have for breakfast???

A: Canadian Club on the rocks

User avatar
Chamberess
Owl status
Posts: 4613
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:35 am
Location: wouldn't you like to know...

Post by Chamberess » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:00 pm

Easier because they are not skilled in fleeing or diverting danger. Happens all the time in nature (just look at animal documentaries- the babies always get preyed on by the hyenas, eagles,etc)

Being the guy who shoots the harpoon is regarded a huge honour in Japan. They are highly skilled in what they do, there is a great deal of maths behind successfully hitting the small target area on the whale so the size of the calf isn't a problem. It's the behaviour of the whale in the water which causes the most hassle in locking on them.

User avatar
cs
regular
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:41 am
Location: around the twist

Post by cs » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:35 pm

babys also taste best, like veal, lamb and ducklings...

User avatar
Revolution
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 5192
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:34 pm
Location: DY.CURL

Post by Revolution » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:45 pm

Chamberess wrote:Now please don't waste my time any further. Go and educate yourself.


Oh fuschia please.

I guess im not superior enough for you and your great awareness for the enviroment.

This issue hardly has to do with your care for the enviroment (which no one gives two fuschia about BTW), but about you. How great you are that you care about the enviroment and that your so great because your so educated on the matter... you you you fuschia you. That what you want to hear ya clown? Go piss of some other people. please.

If i ever see a beached whale im gonna piss on it.

I donate to several whale organisations and have bought merchandise, i sign petitions, sign up to newsletters and when there is a protest on i will go to it.


Oh sorry here i was thinking you did nothing, but how wrong was i. you give some money and bought a snuggly whale merchandise. Signed a petition which will go no where and signed upto a newsletter. My mistake, please keep going, your a modern day joan of arc.

User avatar
Freshie Boy
regular
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: anywhere

Post by Freshie Boy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:08 pm

i hope the threadmaker realises that Minkes are the "pigeons" of the ocean in reference to cetaceans.

ever heard of k-limiting populations? carrying capacity?

minke whales are part of the reason that other larger whales are in such small population, due to the minke overpopulation outcompeting smaller populations of humpback, southern right etc etc

i remember speaking to some of my professors at the National Marine Science Centre in Coffs Harbour, with the general consensus being that the for every 300-500 Minke whales that are killed, one or two humpback whales are saved/accomodated in the ecosystem.

User avatar
Chamberess
Owl status
Posts: 4613
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:35 am
Location: wouldn't you like to know...

Post by Chamberess » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:09 pm

You make it out to be about me because you have such a narrow mind on the situation. There are people out there- The Sea Shepherd org, Greenpeace,etc who do alot more for the whales than i ever could and that's why i support them. Don't pretend to ask me with sincerity how i contribute only to criticise my choices. What is the point of it? Trying to feel like a man by paying me out online? Why didn't you voice these concerns when i was standing infront of you instead of being mute the whole time? At least i back up my talk with actions.

It's not about you being inferior, it's the tone you use to get your point across which is flat out rude and inconsiderate. So why would i respect you with a polite response? Furthermore, in the comments i have seen you make on animal cruelty, none have indicated you care so i can only assume so much. The beached whale comment just reiterates this.

If noone cares about Chamberess' posts, why do you feel so compelled to post responses? You are simply fueling the fire to encourage me to keep posting. Try ignoring my posts :wink:
Last edited by Chamberess on Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Freshie Boy
regular
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: anywhere

Post by Freshie Boy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:11 pm

Revolution wrote:If i ever see a beached whale im gonna piss on it.



wow, you are like the coolest dude ever! :roll:

User avatar
Revolution
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 5192
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:34 pm
Location: DY.CURL

Post by Revolution » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:22 pm

Chamberess wrote:Don't pretend to ask me with sincerity how i contribute only to criticise my choices. What is the point of it? Trying to feel like a man by paying me out online? Why didn't you voice these concerns when i was standing infront of you instead of being mute the whole time? At least i back up my talk with actions.


Sorry, wasnt top of my priority list to talk to you about whales :?

p.s. dont bother responding i wont be looking at this thread again.

p.p.s. Mods can we get a whale specific thread so chamberess can post all of this junk in there :idea: clean the place up a little :?:

Marine Jacket Spud
Grommet
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:24 pm
Location: Always working.

Post by Marine Jacket Spud » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:29 pm

Hi people I am new and I love the Realsurf website:

Freshie Boy wrote:i hope the threadmaker realises that Minkes are the "pigeons" of the ocean in reference to cetaceans.


So. Minke's are cliffdwellers who crap over everything and scuttle around chasing leftovers at outdoor restaurants? :shock:

When you say Minke's are 'the pigeons' of the ocean can you give a little bit more? Do they have wings? Do they have beaks?

Or do you refer to 'pigeon', like some refer to Mahi Mahi as 'Chickens' of the Ocean?

Do Minke's taste like Pigeons?

One final waffle and eventual question...

How polluted are Minkes? e.g Trafalgar Square Pigeons in London, Europe can apparently kill you (I am not sure if they carry guns?) - more probable is that if you ate them they could kill or poison because they are infested with disease and pollution, as opposed to country pigeons, which make great pigeon pie.

Do your professors know the effects of eating Whales? Could Whale meat be damaging to humans?

If so could the anti Whale mob spin this with PR and scare the living sh1t out of the Japanese people. Whale meat demand goes down - whaling stops... Not sure if it would work mind? Loads of people smoke ciggies and packets have photo's of cancer victims etc...waffle waffle... :?:

Nick-W
barnacle
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:17 pm
Location: The Internet

Post by Nick-W » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:17 pm

I think you will find Tuna is nicknamed chicken of the sea, not Dolphin fish

User avatar
Kunji
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 20978
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:10 am
Location: 40 - nil

Post by Kunji » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:39 pm

smnmntl wrote:
Chamberess wrote:I donate to several whale organisations and have bought merchandise, i sign petitions, sign up to newsletters and when there is a protest on i will go to it. It's an issue i feel very strongly about and back my words up with actions.

Sure i care about cruelty to other animals e.g Because 20 endangered Rhinos were killed in a sanctuary in India, 100 armed guards have been sent to protect them. I applaud such moves


Image


Thats as funny as anything you'll read on the net!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests