Japans Whailing and the actions of the "Steve Irwin&quo

Have an environmental cause? Announce and discuss here.

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, beach_defender, Forum Moderators

vb
Local

Post by vb » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:33 pm

Extra trouble if the custom man's a booger ....

No, I thoroughly applaud these guys and as for upsetting Japanese sensibilites ... Jesus F Christ!

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:53 pm

Well I reckon the fools that climbed aboard should be deemed pirates and dealt with accordingly by way of execution and if the whaling vessels enter our waters they too should be demmed as Pirates (forcably if required) and their ship sunk.

Butts

Post by Butts » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:23 pm

smnmntl wrote:
Butts wrote:What are your thoughts on the "political" landscape that will eventuate?

Dunno, but I'm going to Tokyo in few weeks and I'll be super pissed off if this degenerates into some sort of international incident. I can just picture the scene at customs & immigration: "ahh... Australia-jin! Sugoi desu ne" **snaps on rubber glove** :shock:

Don't worry :shock: I've already phoned them in advance :P :wink: :lol: :lol:

Now could this end up into a political shit fight :idea:
Or is our "Environment" minister going to pretend to care :roll:

Shaunm, your logic is sound 8) your practical execution however would be a nightmare :wink: :twisted:
BUSH WOULD DEFINATELY INVADE IRAN IF THIS WERE TO HAPPEN (diversion tactics one oh one) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Butts

Post by Butts » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:41 pm

smnmntl wrote:To some people, my message would be: how about you stop posing, shut your big fat mouth for a while and go & do something that actually requires personal commitment? How about you get involved with the Vinnies Night Patrol van, or the Matthew Talbot Hostel soup kitchen, or Meals On Wheels?

smnmntl, I know where your coming from..........................

There are actually MORE (in my eyes) important causes than the Japanese
slaughtering whales. :shock:
Have a look in our own "backyard" :idea:
Poverty, welfare, abuse, society in general :!: :evil:

"ORIGINAL Owners of our land" affairs :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
(Puurri and fongles :oops: I couldn't word it correctly, my apologies)

As puurri so eloquently put to me many "moons ago", if you aint doing anything about it
then don't "farrken" say anything because your comments are irrelevent :shock: So true 8)

But........................................
A passion is a passion, whether you formally action the cause or not :wink: 8)
Belief is "half" the fight :)

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:00 pm

Well said Smntl

I forgot to add remove the 2 criminal offenders as well as the crew before sinking it.

beach_defender
regular

Post by beach_defender » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:03 pm

Send the Navy - write to your local MP
Don't leave your crap on the beach, Stay well, Get involved...
(I'm taking typing lessons nexr weel)

Mr_momo_32
Local

Post by Mr_momo_32 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:49 pm

http://www.seashepherd.org/

brilliant man,
brilliant people,

awesome organisation

Nick-W
barnacle

Post by Nick-W » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:25 pm

Supposedly it isn't illegal.

The act was not piracy. The Captain just did an interview with JJJ. The Two men were sent over with a letter from the captain outlining the reason for them boarding the whaling vessel. The Japanese stopped communication with the Steve Irwin, thus, Greenpeace can legally board the vessel to engage in communication.

macgreggor
regular

Post by macgreggor » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:04 pm

And I ask all of you

"How many of you have been fortunate enough to look a humpback in the eye?"

Year in year out I experience it several times a season and that's why I put my money where my mouth is and support the SS crew.

Well done boys.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:50 pm

^^^2

Eh mate,

"custodians" as we all have to do our bit. :)

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:12 pm

Nick-W...of course the captain is going to claim it wasn't illegal. What, do you think he's going to admit its illegal??

Heard him interviewed several times today, and while I think he means well I gotta say he sounded like he was using all the Bsh*t he could think of to get out of a stupid situation that he and his crew of hippies got themselves into.

I just found out tonight that I grew up with one of those 'hippies' that jumped on the ship. While I cretainly don't wish him any harm I stand by my comments. Its was a stupid act.

Butts

Post by Butts » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:21 pm

Nick-W wrote:Supposedly it isn't illegal.

The act was not piracy. The Captain just did an interview with JJJ. The Two men were sent over with a letter from the captain outlining the reason for them boarding the whaling vessel. The Japanese stopped communication with the Steve Irwin, thus, Greenpeace can legally board the vessel to engage in communication.

According to International Maritime law it is unlawful (and considered an act of piracy or hijacking)
to board another vessel, if the master of said vessel has not granted permission.

Further stated by:-

Eric Wilson, senior lecturer in international law at Melbourne's Monash University, said the two Sea Shepherd crew members might have committed an act of piracy or hijacking because they had not been granted permission by the captain of the Yushin Maru No 2 to board the Japanese vessel.

"You can request to come on board a vessel but ... the master's position (on whether the boarding is permitted) has to be clear and unambiguous," Dr Wilson said.

"Therefore the Japanese were well within their legal rights to seize and detain the two men in this instance because it was an unlawful boarding. It is in the legal realm of piracy and hijacking."

Nick-W
barnacle

Post by Nick-W » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:37 pm

Natho; If a radical captain such as Cpt. Feathersword has been pushing the boundaries for years and years, do you think he would seriously be so daft as to jeopardize future expeditions due to law suits and monetary loss?

Of course he would have a rational legal loop hole to justify his actions.

Aside; He also said that neither the Japanese or Australian governments had been negotiating with or contacting him, and the Customs ship was not at the scene.

I am usually the first to slag on a Greenpeace item, but this one smells of media hype. Have you seen footage of the Customs ship next to the whaling ship or footage from a boat other than the whaling boat or 'Steve...'? Have you seen any actions of piracy?

From a US Coast Guard paper ""By its very definition, piracy is about stealing. Our job is law enforcement," Dan Tremper, a Coast Guard spokesman"

Finally, from a CSIS paper on the difference between piracy and terrorism;
"The definition of piracy provided by the United Nations Convention of Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) is violence on the high seas beyond any state's 12 nautical mile maritime territory."

Where is the violence?

The Dan
Local

Post by The Dan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:54 pm

"The problem isn't civil disobdience, it's civil obdience".

Hornet

Post by Hornet » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:09 pm

Sea Shepherd’s guided by the United Nations World Charter for nature. Sections 21-24 of the charter provide authority to individuals to act on behalf of and enforce international conservation laws. In this instance slaughter of whales in Antarctic whale sanctuary.

Piracy definition -
hijacking on the high seas; taking a ship away from the control of those who are legally entitled to it.

The action of these two men does not constitute to Piracy. Trespass perhaps? We need to stop tucking our figs between out legs with regards to Japan and their whaling. The publicity that Sea Shepard's attracted has been monumental. Hopefully this will seriously embarrass the Japanese Government and help make them re-think their national whaling policy.

Check out the Sea Shepherd website: www.seashepherd.org To all those so called conservationists out there, while these men have given up their time and volunteered to risk their lives fighting for a just cause, it's easy to criticize from your chair in front of your computer.

BTW I donated coin to Operation Mingaloo in November prior to the departure of the Steve Urwin

Nick-W
barnacle

Post by Nick-W » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:29 am

Nanking and the other cities of China that were used as training camps are entirely different to this.

In this situation you have diplomacy at stake.

In the early 1900's you had centuries of rivalry dating all the way back to the Mongol's attempted invasion of Japan (the origin of 'Kamikaze' - 'Divine wind'), the Japanese were fighting their own war with China whilst the European nations went to war. The Japanese concealed it so that they could maintain a sense of nationalism (Until the late 1990's school children were taught Japan was attacked first), the main reason history is constructed the way it is.
Go to England and Napoleon lost Trafalgar horribly, go to France and Napoleon crushed the English and killed the English leader...
Even the revision of our nations history before the 2000 Olympic games that, turned out to paint a picture of genocide, oppression and capitalism, but was changed to show abos and the english smiling and holding hands...
Its everywhere.

In short, 1930's and Japan couldn't care about stepping on toes or shooting them off. Now they have too much to lose to sweep anything under the rug, there have been(today) protests in Germany(LANDLOCKED COUNTRY) and England and the US, these dung beetles on a boat obviously did more than wipe shit on the deck....

PS; Dinosaur- "empowered by their government", they didn't have one, it was an Emperor

Nick-W
barnacle

Post by Nick-W » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:35 am

If you like this stuff Dino, I suggest you read "The Rape of Nanking" by Iris Chang. Great book

I figure if you mentioned it you must have some interest in history...

fearless fly
Grommet

Post by fearless fly » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:17 am

Nick-W wrote:PS; Dinosaur- "empowered by their government", they didn't have one, it was an Emperor

of course they had a Government. Japan became a constitutional monarchy in 1889 with the Meiji restoration, which included a "western style" constitution and parliamentary government (though it was elected much differently as only about 1% of the population got to vote). by the 1930's the military had basically established control over the government, but it was still a government.