So how are our beaches REALLY doing?

Have an environmental cause? Announce and discuss here.

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, beach_defender, Forum Moderators

Butts

So how are our beaches REALLY doing?

Post by Butts » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:10 pm

Great article in SMH this morning:-

http://www.smh.com.au/news/science/sand ... ntentSwap2

Interesting solutions/conclusions with data :wink:
I especially like this bit :)
Despite the damage inflicted in June, the Collaroy to Narrabeen beaches are still in good shape. "We have an unusually large amount of sand … compared with the last 30 years," Turner says.

The reason? Fierce coastal storms were once regular events, striking at least once a decade, but "we really haven't had a very large one [other than the June event] since the 1970s. Statistically we are well overdue for another large storm."

Although the June storm, "a one-in-20-year event" caused significant coastal erosion, "we have seen it recovering quite rapidly", thanks to ordinary everyday wave action pushing the sand back. "The sand never went away … just out into the surf zone. It will probably take one to two years to recover."

I'm waiting :twisted:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Re: So how are our beaches REALLY doing?

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:40 pm

Butts wrote:I'm waiting :twisted:

What, for Flight Deck or the other monolith to fall into the sea?

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:53 pm

Butts wrote:Fierce coastal storms were once regular events, striking at least once a decade, but "we really haven't had a very large one [other than the June event] since the 1970s. Statistically we are well overdue for another large storm."

That's an interesting quote when put in context with the current climate debate. If one of the byproducts of 'Global Warming' is an increase in storm/cyclonic activity, then why have we been apparently observing the opposite for the last 30 years?

Butts

Post by Butts » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:57 pm

thermalben wrote:
Butts wrote:Fierce coastal storms were once regular events, striking at least once a decade, but "we really haven't had a very large one [other than the June event] since the 1970s. Statistically we are well overdue for another large storm."

That's an interesting quote when put in context with the current climate debate. If one of the byproducts of 'Global Warming' is an increase in storm/cyclonic activity, then why have we been apparently observing the opposite for the last 30 years?

Ah ha!!!

Someone else notices 8) My thoughts as well, although I was actually
highlighting the comment due to "ANOTHER LARGE STORM". :lol: :lol:
C'mon Thermalben, when will it be :?: :!: This year, next year, next week :shock: :wink:

RV, don't you think the lightning strike in your backyard was enough :shock: :P
Now you want to see buildings collapse into the sea, you sick sick man :lol:

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:17 pm

We're all about to learn it's all part of natural occuring cycles and Global Warming will be deemed a marketing hoax I reckon. :lol: