Say no to animals in pet shops

Have an environmental cause? Announce and discuss here.

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, beach_defender, Forum Moderators

chambress

Say no to animals in pet shops

Post by chambress » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:28 pm

Hey all..

You have probably heard about the recent parliament bill being put forward by the lord mayor of Sydney and independent member for Bligh, Clover Moore, to ban the sale of mammals in pet shops. Its not so much the pet shops that is the problem it is the places where they get their animals. For those who do not know these places are called puppy farms, or puppy mills. These consist of hundreds of breeding "bitches" being kept in cages they can barely stand up in or turn around, the are impregnated straight after they give birth. They are fed lowest-quality food and only given small amounts of water. Their living conditions are terrible. There is no current government lesigslation that protects animals from such cruel and inhumane torture.
The result of puppy farms is also genetically incorrect puppies that can carry many genetic problems such as heart, joint and eye problems and many of these puppies do not live the full length of their lives due to this ill breeding.

Please note that the proposed bill will only stop the sale of puppies through pet shops (the main offenders of buying from puppy mills). Puppies and other animals can still be sold through REGISTERED breeders, vets and adoption centres.

If you want to help save tens of thousands of dogs a year from this cruel torture that no animal should be subject to then visit the following website:

http://www.saynotoanimalsinpetshops.com/help.html

and sign their online petition. Or print off a petition and start it in your area, EVERY BIT COUNTS! while your there check out the stories and footage on there it'll help make you realise the extent of the damage that is done to mammals through their sale in pet shops.

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:37 pm

:lol: wtf ... pet shops arnt allowed to sell pets now according to you :roll:

stinky_wes
regular

Post by stinky_wes » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:47 pm

Revolution wrote::lol: wtf ... pet shops arnt allowed to sell pets now according to you :roll:
You would feel the same way if your name was Chamberess and you were a bitch stuck in a cage being forced to copulate – Oh wait, I think I read too far into that...

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:54 pm

yeh your right i didnt read it properly, just skim read... thanks chambress (oh god did i say that :oops: ) read it again and im happy to sign.

chambress

Post by chambress » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:04 pm

gee dammit you will do anything to ridicule me, like totally this is an important matter and all you can think of is a way to bag on me :roll:

infectious
regular

Post by infectious » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:38 pm

gave up on saving the whales did you chamberess? its been a while since you went on a good save all the cute animals crusade...
"I wanna be on you"

chambress

Post by chambress » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:49 pm

well no i think we should all be concerned on how shop keepers are treating their animals :roll: its just wrong.

As i said we need to stop the illigal trade :evil:

its not just cute dogs, its everything from turtles to birds. Birds get a very bad treatment. Every week, throughout the country, dozens of illegal sales and auctions of birds take place.At these sales, birds are often housed in cruel conditions. Wild-caught exotic species are often offered for sale. Typically these birds will have been recently captured from tropical countries (legally or illegally) and are offered as pet birds. Species include African and Timneh grey parrots, Amazon parrots, macaws, cockatoos, finches, toucans and mynah birds. Death rates to these highly stressed birds are very high. Most wild-caught birds die before getting to Britain. But those that make it alive are put through further suffering as they are transported around the country from one illegal sale to another.

The Oracle
regular

Re: Say no to animals in pet shops

Post by The Oracle » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:43 am

chambress wrote:...many of these puppies do not live the full length of their lives....

I think you'll find that, by defenition, they do actually live the full length of their lives...

I've already signed the petition at the local petshop in opposition to the proposed laws. The shop assistants there were great sorts so I didn't really have a choice. Obviously if you post a pic and prove to be hotter than the pet shop girls I'll sign your petition too, if you flirt a bit like they did I'll even take my name off the pet shop one. How much do you care about the issue?

offshore1
Snowy McAllister

Post by offshore1 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:59 am

too true c'ress, especially as regards the turtles.
Not that birds shouldn't have our full undivided attention as well.
and all our furry friends.
:wink:

zander2nd
regular

Post by zander2nd » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:00 am

i was in a pet shop in mexico yesterday and i think it had most pets that you wouldnt expect to be able to buy over a counter. like reptiles, turtles, echidas (or however it is spelt), dogs, fish, cats, rabbits, snakes that were huge and some tiny ones!! they even had a chimp in thier and these little monkeys in a small cage and they just did backflips as they ran around there cage. it was all soo cheap as well. a dragon was about 200 pesos which is 25 odd aussie dollars. crazy i say.

surfanimals
Local

Post by surfanimals » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:10 am

Just don't say no to the surfanimals ! :lol: :lol:

timbo85
Grommet

Post by timbo85 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:20 am

I read about this proposed bill in the paper. It seemed to me
that it was more concerned with limiting the number of
'impulse buys' of puppies and kittens. Like all the idiots that
think a puppy will be a good present for their kid, then get fed up as soon as the dog starts malting or chewing stuff up or doesn't
get housebroken properly. These are the douche bags that
fill the rspca and shelters with abandoned animals.
Its horrible that the majority of these animals end up getting put to sleep, whilst breeders keep saturating the market with more and more animals.

This bill is a good idea because it'll take the bottom out of that market.
Anybody who wants to purchase an animal will have to go through a legit breeder and will be screened to make sure they intend and have the means to love and look after the animal for its entire life. Or they can get an animal from a shelter, inwhich case they're saving an animal otherwise destined for death. Sign the petition, give the animals a voice, and stop over breeding and impulse buying.

BA
Snowy McAllister

Post by BA » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:14 am

Agree timbo. It's more aimed at the shopping centre impulse buy, then dump at the RSPCA when it's past its used by date (ie. cuteness).

If you wanna buy a dog or cat, go to the RSPCA or Cat Protection Society. You'll save a life. It's a much better feeling.

I've signed.

Nappy
Local

Post by Nappy » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:33 am

lol you've all be served.

BA
Snowy McAllister

Post by BA » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:11 pm

:oops:

Still a good cause.

offshore1
Snowy McAllister

Post by offshore1 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:19 pm

not I 8)

good cause indeed though, merkin. :lol:

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:48 pm

This thread is from the chamberess clone, check the amount of posts... 7.

Someone is pulling our leg.

cs
regular

Post by cs » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:52 pm

shit, and i just went to warriewood square pet store, looked a bunny in the eye and said "no"... he hopped away...