Genetics is about to get personal...

Have an environmental cause? Announce and discuss here.

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, beach_defender, Forum Moderators

BA
Snowy McAllister

Post by BA » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:34 pm

Chamberess wrote:I'm not a violent person but deadset you are a tool and deserve to be punched in the head.

Ummm..... are you gonna do it you little speck of shit? :roll:

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:37 pm

Nope, i'm all talk

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:57 pm

Chamberess wrote:Fools give you reasons, wise men never try
- Oscar Hammerstein II from 'Some enchanted evening'

Idiots use quotes to avoid answering the questiong
Revolution the 1st from 'realsurf forums'

:roll:

Do wise men just not answer when asked a question? you wouldnt know, you just copy nd paste to make yourself appear smart when really you dont have the slightest clue of the underline meaning of what you just copied.

Answer me this, what made you come back to these forums?

offshore1
Snowy McAllister

Post by offshore1 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:40 am

Revolution wrote:
Chamberess wrote:Fools give you reasons, wise men never try
- Oscar Hammerstein II from 'Some enchanted evening'

Answer me this, what made you come back to these forums?

I'll answer for the young lady, Damnit:

"It was you, damnit, you and only you. It will always be you. I'm obsessed w/ your buff mangina as you're retrieved gasping from the two foot shorey like a wide-eyed mackerel, your confident command of the king's english as you convert it effortlessly into hiphop jargon, the way you walk with flippers on, your tight t shirts; thinking of all these things makes me sooo wet down there.... there, I've finally come out and said how I truly feel. Are you happy now!? Is that what you wanted!!?? I adore you, you heartless beflippered cad!"

Now get back ta fudge packin' damnit :wink: :lol: and leave her alone.
C'ress is one of the few females who can dish it as well as she cops it (probably because she's shaved her balls).

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:13 am

Offshore you better be right, C'ress you have a PM :wink:

:lol:

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:11 pm

:lol: :lol:

You guys are insane!

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:23 pm

C'ess, it is a wonder when people find something new. Some think, 'far out, how smart am i now' while others ponder 'how ignorant was I'.

We have learned much data about the human genome. We have also understood that just about every gene has about a million contingencies that will determine whether that gene becomes active or not. This is the 'nurture' part of the equation.

Some would say we have gained a great amount of knowledge, but compiling the human genome is not knowledge, it is data.

The knowledge we have gained from the study of genetics and the human genome can be boiled down to one statement, 'Although we really knew nothing before compared to this, now we know for sure that we really know very little.'

As for Uma Thurman, I obviously didn't inherit this recessive gene. She just doesn't do it for me. I look at her and wonder at how someone who should look attractive just isn't, at all.

On the prognostications front, Dr Karl K opined some time ago that this may be the last generation for whom death is inevitable. He based this on developments in genetics. I disagree with him, but he is at least someone with an interest who should be able to give a reasoned opinion.

So the off the topic question is, if you were given a choice, would you opt for eternal life through advances in genetic manipulation, or would you accept death when it comes.

For me, I just can't see myself hanging on to life forever. I can't imagine anything more pointless than an interminable life.

How about you?

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:48 pm

^^ ha ha. Now thats an angry bat.

Oldman, in answer to your question, i would chose to die at some point. Even if i kept the same body now (27years) you'd end up wondering what your missing out on.

I choose to live for 2-300 years though. Imagine your super payout! :)

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:59 pm

[email protected] wrote:
Even if i kept the same body now (27years) you'd end up wondering what your missing out on.

I am surprised to hear that from Realsurf's resident atheist.

They'll end up working it out so we can live as long as we want......

....... but when we're sick of it we get to pull the pin. :shock:

ps - from another angle, being (relatively) immortal would speed up our colonisation of the galaxy by a factor of, well....... alot. ie the hardest thing about going to mars is getting back. If we didn't have to come back, that would make things alot easier. :D

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:26 pm

Damage wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Even if i kept the same body now (27years) you'd end up wondering what your missing out on.

ps - from another angle, being (relatively) immortal would speed up our colonisation of the galaxy by a factor of, well....... alot. ie the hardest thing about going to mars is getting back. If we didn't have to come back, that would make things alot easier. :D

But why would you want to? Recent NASA studies shows that not only do those rocks on mars hurt when thrown at you, they could leave bruises to. They spent 18 bil to find that one out.

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:08 am

It's midnight and I choose now to read through these three pages :?

Is there a Natural De-Selection program? Chuck me on it.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:17 pm

Revolution wrote:
Damage wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

But why would you want to? Recent NASA studies shows that not only do those rocks on mars hurt when thrown at you, they could leave bruises to. They spent 18 bil to find that one out.

Yet you say nothing when they spend 450 Billion dollars on the Iraq war?

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:32 pm

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:49 pm

^^

What are your thoughts Damage? I am finding it hard to digest to be honest. Some scientists thought we'd be living on the moon by now and we aint.

There was an article in this week New Scientist :
http://www.newscientist.com/channel/bei ... white.html

Scary to think we are still living in a time where people truly believe Black Africans are mentally inferior to white people. Thought that kind of nonsense mentality died with our ancestors.

Floyd
regular

Post by Floyd » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:03 pm

natural selection is over for us, and so is evolution,

with all these new technologies in 1st world countries like our own the "genetically inferior" like say someone quite pasty in Australia without our technology would have not survived the sun for long and died out eventually leaving the naturally darker skinned aboriginals, but with our technologies and comfortable living these people would continue to live and produce more pasty people, maybe pasty aint the best analogy but haemophilia (where the blood doesnt clot so you nearly die from every cut kinda thing) can manage to stay in families for a few hundred years, like in the royal families of Europe.
so the genes that we find out about today are meaningless really but could be quite interesting

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:11 pm

Floyd wrote:natural selection is over for us, and so is evolution,

with all these new technologies in 1st world countries like our own the "genetically inferior" like say someone quite pasty in Australia without our technology would have not survived the sun for long and died out eventually leaving the naturally darker skinned aboriginals, but with our technologies and comfortable living these people would continue to live and produce more pasty people, maybe pasty aint the best analogy but haemophilia (where the blood doesnt clot so you nearly die from every cut kinda thing) can manage to stay in families for a few hundred years, like in the royal families of Europe.
so the genes that we find out about today are meaningless really but could be quite interesting

Mr Twig say: MMMMMkeh class.

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:23 pm

Quote: natural selection is over for us, and so is evolution,

Just listening to the cricket and heard Peter Roebuck say that apparently (studies have shown) the proportion of left-handers in the world has risen from 4% to 10% of the population in just the last 50yrs or so. :?: :shock:

Any thoughts on why this might be so in relation to our evolutionary path (as discussed above)?

I mean its such an increase that something gotta be behind it. Maybe evolution is still here.......... just not as we know it.

And i wonder if this stat applies to surfing? Any more goofies around these days than the good old ones?

:D
Last edited by Damage on Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dee-r-e
Grommet

Post by dee-r-e » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:31 pm

Because left handers are the gods of the earth, thus, left handers are the 'fittest', and are surviving.
2 days
3 nites