Genetics is about to get personal...

Have an environmental cause? Announce and discuss here.

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, beach_defender, Forum Moderators

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:57 pm

Chamberess wrote:
[email protected] wrote:Anyway, im opposed to the notion of selecting genes. Mostly because the social divide will turn into a genetic one.

Just let natural selection do it own thing. Its been doing a bang up job on Earth for 3.5 billion years.

I hear what you're saying Coops, but social divides have existed since the dawn of man so what makes a social divide due to a persons' genes any different to those pertaining to a person's physical appearance or financial status??

You're joking right? You cant distiguish between the difference of economic factors and genomes?? :?

Why would it be fair for the rich to select genes to benifit them while the majority of real humans get left back? And dont confuse cultural evolution with evolution through natural selection.

Chamberess wrote:The human brain has evolved over time for the survival of our genes into successive generations (see The Selfish Gene by Dawkins). Would it not be wise, then, to use what we have discovered in genetics to prolong our lives?

What does manipulating human genes for longevity have anything to do with the survival of our genes or the species as you are trying to conclude?

Are you saying that without this technology we're doomed?

Yes, I am more excited than anyome with the potential that comes with unlocking our genome, but there needs to be a serious global regulartory monitoring this for the benifit of all peoples. Medicine is a funny science driven by companies and the all mighty dollar. The guys up the top want money for their product and not everyone has money. It doesnt work out. Instead of genetic mutations that are favoured by dynamic enviroment driving evolution its who ever is lucky enough to be born with a silver spoon up there ar.se.

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:16 pm

^^^

:roll:

Just got back from the gym so i will respond to your misunderstandings when my mind is less rattled.

Nick Carroll
Duke Status

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:20 pm

I reckon people are too impatient to wait around and let the genetics tick over the way they've been doing for the last couple of billion years. I mean, s**t, wait for 1,000 years for average human height to increase another coupla centimetres. Can't see it meself.

The funny thing is that it's not the genes per se so much as how they interact with the environment into which you emerge. As c'ess cut-and-pasted, Craig Venter has a lactose tolerance trend genetically, yet he is lactose intolerant. There's just too many variables to hope to control human development simply by gene-tweaking.

You sure could make a f**ked up looking human if ya wanted though.

But dunno about c'ess's portentous warning about looking into these things "at our peril". Oooooo nooooo, our peril! Dear oh dear. More peril on top of everything else. Damn peril.

BA
Snowy McAllister

Post by BA » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:24 pm

smnmntl wrote:
Hairy_Joseph wrote:Oh, i assure you Gentlemen and Lady, the truth about me would prove painful far beyond the combined emotional and physical injuries you have each sustained in your pitiful lifetimes. Do not assume that, because I can be abusive and immature, I am a hormonally driven 15 year old. I assure you, the truth is quite different from that which you have imagined. Chamberess should be quite embarassed for attempting to conduct, yet again, a forum discussion about which she has very little knowledge in an embarassing attempt to appear worldly and wise. Let me redirect you with my own cut-and-paste topic, in an attempt to appear intellectual. I'm not sure if you guys are aware, but:

In the thymus, immature T cells expressing self Ag-specific TCR are deleted during development. This is called negative selection and is a major mechanism to prevent autoimmunity. Consequently, mature T cells bearing foreign Ag-specific TCR are selectively exported to the periphery where they reside in a naive state until they encounter foreign Ags. Usually, naive T cells do not express IL-2R. After antigenic restimulation, they secrete IL-2 and express high affinity IL-2R, which is composed of IL-2R-chain, IL-2Rß-chain and common -chain, which enables IL-2 to be used as an autocrine growth factor (1). Such TCR-dependent, IL-2-mediated proliferation results in clonal expansion of invading foreign Ag-specific T cells, which is a hallmark of acquired immunity.

I think this is a very important social issue. Moreover, i believe it is more important to masquerade as an intellectual, rather than actually possess the slightest of intelligent notions. This is the foundation of Australian society, and I have no doubt Chamberess adapted her cheating ways from too many mornings spent in a post-lobotomy-like stupor, absorbing Carl Stephanovic as pretends he has the slightest idea of anything being discussed on the Today show, only interrupting with his patheticly self-defeatist quips.

Takes a lot to make me feel like siding with Chamberess, but you've managed it :lol:

What an annoying tard

And it's spelt Sefanovic ya knob. Don't ya know anything. :roll:

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:18 pm

wanto wrote:
[email protected] wrote:Just let natural selection do it own thing. Its been doing a bang up job on Earth for 3.5 billion years.
i'm surprised at you mate ;) don't you think natural selection has been slowed, skewed and/or reversed by the modern world?

* medicines (and availability)
* economics (and socio-economic divide)
* birth rates (variants between socio-economic divides)

i think it has.

I agree wanto. But my point was that natural selection gives us what we need to survive. Necessity. Are we dying out? No. We dont need extra bells and whistles to survive. The effects, which we may never know, to our genetic journey is, to an extent, being determined by medicines.

Some illnesses, however, are not spread through the breeding of animals but just freak re-occuring abnormalities. Medicines will never be able to eliminate these out of the gene pool. Thats what the Nazi's tried to do with eugenics during the 30's and 40's. Killing off people with downsyndrome hoping that it would kill off the condition from humanity. Turns out its not always passed down that way. Thus Eugenics does not work.

Having cash doesnt seem to affect the amount of people being born at all. In fact the poorest countrys are some of the most populous eg China & India.

I guess im on the side of necessity at the end of the day. Sure we can make specially designed humans specifically for long periods or life times in space, thats necessity, but here on Earth we are doing just fine. There are 6.5 billion reasons that back up that fact.

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:34 pm

I reckon I will live to 150 ....... at least. Which is another 117 years from now.

Hows that for a prediction!? :D

Youse mark my words.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:56 pm

Look, I'm about to interupt this thread so I hope you people dont mind....

But while you nerds have been rubbing chins and prognosticating on Chamberesses procured proposition Fred, Daphne, Shaggy, Scooby and I have been rolling around in the Mystery Machine doing some serious sleuthing.

And here is what we have found....

HairY_Joseph is not who he seems!

Yes, it was Scooby himself that realised the remarkable similarity between HairY_Joseph's avatar and HairY_Stephen's avatar - both being simian primates. Plus, they were both hirsute and they were both obnoxious little bastards. The difference being StepheN was the author of classic posts such as this;

HairY_SteveN wrote:Koby abberton is a bad human being. he is not a character of worth. when i was three years old he punched me and my dog in our faces as we were strolling maroubra beach and enjoying the sunset. the fact that he is proud for what he has done is a disgrace to you, me and the entire gem state. he is nothing more than an uneducated, tiny penissed bogan.with all likelihood he drives a commodore. the whole "**** the police, they dont want peace thing" is a little ironic considering it was only a year ago he was begging them for mercy so he wouldnt have to get his precious little hole raped every day for 14years. if he's so damn tough he would have taken it like a man. so f*ck you Mr Abberton. if the world needs less of a kind of people, its people like you, you arrogant prick.

The evidence is piling up and up, so step forward Fred and rip the mask off HairY_Joseph to unveil his true identity.....

Nick-W
barnacle

Post by Nick-W » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:55 pm

Wouldn't this be the greatest most definitive form of natural selection?
There is variation, competition for survival, eradication, then proliferation. A more speculative question would be, Who would decide what the variation is, and who we compete with...and through scientific selection, do we eliminate certain people that have made amazing impacts...Steven Hawkings...

I'm not saying the Nazi's and their eugenics program was a morally justifiable thing, but look how much we learned for the experiments that they under-took. That is something that we could have never been able to find out through normal, moral science. Compared to genetic profiling, could this big terrible giant in fact lead to a brighter future...?

30 years time, you will reflect on your fear of the topic and realize that it was an overreaction, just the same as dark rooms when you were a kid. The Boogie man doesn't exist. Well not that i know of.... :idea: tonight

special_k
regular

Post by special_k » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:05 pm

Hairy_Joseph wrote: Let me redirect you with my own cut-and-paste topic, in an attempt to appear intellectual. I'm not sure if you guys are aware, but:

In the thymus, immature T cells expressing self Ag-specific TCR are deleted during development. This is called negative selection and is a major mechanism to prevent autoimmunity. Consequently, mature T cells bearing foreign Ag-specific TCR are selectively exported to the periphery where they reside in a naive state until they encounter foreign Ags. Usually, naive T cells do not express IL-2R. After antigenic restimulation, they secrete IL-2 and express high affinity IL-2R, which is composed of IL-2R-chain, IL-2Rß-chain and common -chain, which enables IL-2 to be used as an autocrine growth factor (1). Such TCR-dependent, IL-2-mediated proliferation results in clonal expansion of invading foreign Ag-specific T cells, which is a hallmark of acquired immunity.

Not only do you NOT appear intellectual Hairy Arsehole you have cut and pasted material of a totally irrelevant nature??? Kinda like your personality or rather lack thereof. Next time try and ADD to the topic in question if you can dickbrain. 8)

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:06 pm

moreorless wrote:This whole area certainly opens a can of worms, Chamberess. I'm thinking of a 'Gattaca' type of world. How long will it be before you can't get health insurance without a genetic profile? How long until you need to submit a genetic profile with a job application? Do we really want to live in that type of world?

Science is wonderful but it needs a social balance. Is our political system up to it? I certainly hope so, though the average pollie's grasp of the issues is bound to be limited.

haha we watched gattaca in science.

Hairy_Joseph

Post by Hairy_Joseph » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:30 pm

2nd reef you are the ultimate. yes i am hairy_steven.

smmntl i was talking to your mate the other day and he tells me your mum still brushed your hair for you in the 8th grade.he also told me a few other things i can hold in reserve until you decide to ally with me. we can have sleep overs. my mum said we can stay up till 730 if we're good.

anyone else who hassled me go eat a fat dick. oh and special k, the point of my irrelevant topic was to show that chamberess' own topic was an irrelevant piece of shite. and i wasnt pretending to know the stuff i was cut and pasting. whereas she is. get it yet? ya dumb piece of catshit? you just as dumb as she is. you can all go fark yaselves now yous know who i am. n suck my sack, fu*kfaces.

haha yeah im the king.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:54 pm

C'mon Joseph.

The script says that once the mask is removed you're supposed to say why you tried to get away with the crime...

And then there's that bit about 'would've got away with it if it wasn't for you meddling kids'.

And this is PG Joe. Can you go low on the cuss words?

Attaboy!

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:07 pm

I love how you can tell the parts C'ress copied n pasted nd the parts her own brain mustered up :lol:

Back on topic, i believe the subject is irrelivant as you are all just figments of my imagination, none of this is real, we are all one matter in which we are in a state of trance dreaming up this entire existance we call 'life'.

Oh and ringmaster, i grew up (when i was about 6 or so) thinking science will get sooo advanced i will never die. I think that prediction from me as a 6 year old is just as feaseable to scientists predictions of my existance.

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:30 pm

Why do you follow me around on forums? Could you answer that for me please because it is starting to get creepy.

special_k
regular

Post by special_k » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:24 pm

Hairy_Joseph wrote:anyone else who hassled me go eat a fat dick. oh and special k, the point of my irrelevant topic was to show that chamberess' own topic was an irrelevant piece of shite. and i wasnt pretending to know the stuff i was cut and pasting. whereas she is. get it yet? ya dumb piece of catshit? you just as dumb as she is. you can all go fark yaselves now yous know who i am. n suck my sack, fu*kfaces.

haha yeah im the king of coc.kbreath.

Woman-Hating-Hairy-Ho.m.o I understood BOTH your and C'ress's "pieces". Her's was relevant and not that difficult for most on here (except you Hairy Knob because you are consumed with some sort of weird hatred towards women.....grandmother probably put pegs on your little hairless balls because she caught you wanking etc etc.)

Your piece WAS an attempt at sounding smart ..... nice try to say it wasn't insecure little man. Would've taken you a while to search for that too you fcuking freak.

--++sunstroke++--
Harry the Hat

Post by --++sunstroke++-- » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:08 pm

wanto wrote:
[email protected] wrote:Just let natural selection do it own thing. Its been doing a bang up job on Earth for 3.5 billion years.
i'm surprised at you mate ;) don't you think natural selection has been slowed, skewed and/or reversed by the modern world?

* medicines (and availability)
* economics (and socio-economic divide)
* birth rates (variants between socio-economic divides)

i think it has.

You forgot to add beer to that equation Wanto :lol:

Hairy_Joseph

Post by Hairy_Joseph » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:49 pm

special_k wrote:
Hairy_Joseph wrote:anyone else who hassled me go eat a fat dick. oh and special k, the point of my irrelevant topic was to show that chamberess' own topic was an irrelevant piece of shite. and i wasnt pretending to know the stuff i was cut and pasting. whereas she is. get it yet? ya dumb piece of catshit? you just as dumb as she is. you can all go fark yaselves now yous know who i am. n suck my sack, fu*kfaces.

haha yeah im the king of coc.kbreath.

Woman-Hating-Hairy-Ho.m.o I understood BOTH your and C'ress's "pieces". Her's was relevant and not that difficult for most on here (except you Hairy Knob because you are consumed with some sort of weird hatred towards women.....grandmother probably put pegs on your little hairless balls because she caught you wanking etc etc.)

Your piece WAS an attempt at sounding smart ..... nice try to say it wasn't insecure little man. Would've taken you a while to search for that too you fcuking freak.

i must admit special k, i expected better of u. lame. my defense is it wasnt an attempt at sounding smart. it was an attempt at pretending to sound smart, in an attempt to take the piss out of chamberess. you see, you are an angry person special k, just as i am. the only difference is you are so blinded by your anger you can't detect the simplest of purposes or nuances of what im saying. either that or you really are a dumbshit with no comprehension of aussie humour.you're unaustralian...
by the way it took approximately 0.0453 seconds to search for that article, according to google, which handily supplies search times. i love you special k.

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:27 am

^^

Certain individuals often seem to refer to my lack of credibility, articulation and such when forming their own responses to a given topic in forums.

If the strength of your argument lies in discrediting my thoughts to a simple 'cut and paste' job, i am disappointed. Two of you should know better.