Genetics is about to get personal...

Have an environmental cause? Announce and discuss here.

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, beach_defender, Forum Moderators

Chamberess
Owl status

Genetics is about to get personal...

Post by Chamberess » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:38 am

Soon it will be possible to obtain a complete sequence of your genome...if you're willing to pay the price.

The most practical use of this advance in genetics would of course be to sequence the 1 per cent of the genome that codes for proteins- therein lies the key to genetic variations that could impact your health.

Genomics pioneer, Craig Venter did exactly that. By looking at genetic variants that were contained in his genome, Venter found that he was genetically pre disposed to:

* prefering evening time
* being lactose tolerant (ironically he is lactose IN-tolerant)
* having heart attacks and developing coronary diseases
* developing alzheimers

Of course it's in it's early stages. It's one thing to get this information and a whole other matter to be able to interpret it correctly.

Would you want your genetic information to be mapped out to you in such a way? Would you want to know if your genes made you 80% more likely to die by the age of 50?

Coops looks at the stars and is bewildered by physics.For me it's genetics.

We already know the human body to be an amazing powerhouse of complex nervous, muscular,skeletal,etc systems.But to think we have all this information coded into our DNA is truly awe-inspiring, yet we are only beginning to scratch the surface.

The Personal Genome Project has now been established whereby nine volunteers have agreed to have the protein- coding regions of their genome made public on the web.

I can't say i'm a fan. It's like someone putting your panties in the paper for the whole world to see. The epitomy of zero privacy and complete vulnerability in my eyes.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts people..

moreorless
regular

Post by moreorless » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:07 am

This whole area certainly opens a can of worms, Chamberess. I'm thinking of a 'Gattaca' type of world. How long will it be before you can't get health insurance without a genetic profile? How long until you need to submit a genetic profile with a job application? Do we really want to live in that type of world?

Science is wonderful but it needs a social balance. Is our political system up to it? I certainly hope so, though the average pollie's grasp of the issues is bound to be limited.

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:32 am

moreorless wrote:This whole area certainly opens a can of worms, Chamberess. I'm thinking of a 'Gattaca' type of world. How long will it be before you can't get health insurance without a genetic profile? How long until you need to submit a genetic profile with a job application? Do we really want to live in that type of world?

Science is wonderful but it needs a social balance. Is our political system up to it? I certainly hope so, though the average pollie's grasp of the issues is bound to be limited.

Gattaca..one of my favourite movies of all time. Life is certainly beginning to imitate art isn't it?

Having your identity stolen will no longer be obtaining a couple bank statements and racking up a bill..it'll be your DNA turning up at crime scenes. And no doubt, a black market for DNA will be here before you know it.

There is a story in Mayan culture that the elders tell of man having endless wants and never being satisfied.I think it is much the same with respect to man's quest to find out the answers to all in life. It will eventually lead to our peril.

Politics and science have never had a happy marriage. Various degrees of genome sequencing services are already available both here and o/s yet there is minimal to zero government regulation. How can you govern something you barely understand? And by the time the pollies have debated it back and forth, it will be well beyond the reach of a speedy intervention.

Hairy_Joseph

Post by Hairy_Joseph » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:38 am

you bloody disgrace. nice cut n paste job though. pretty good effort for a woman.

special_k
regular

Post by special_k » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:52 am

Hairy_Joseph wrote:you bloody disgrace. nice cut n paste job though. pretty good effort for a woman.

Hairy_fcukwit you misogynistic pri.ck. Fuc.k off. No-one is a slightest bit interested in your drivel. You are a dead set loser. :twisted:

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:29 am

I watched Gattaca the other night. Uma was so hot in it.

Anyway, im opposed to the notion of selecting genes. Mostly because the social divide will turn into a genetic one.

Just let natural selection do it own thing. Its been doing a bang up job on Earth for 3.5 billion years.

moreorless
regular

Post by moreorless » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:34 am

Hairy_Joseph wrote:you bloody disgrace. nice cut n paste job though. pretty good effort for a woman.

Maybe genetic profiling isn't such a bad idea after all. Embryo screening could ensure that the Hairy_Joseph's of the world never saw the light of day - as long as they can identify the genetic code for useless waste of space.

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:37 am

[email protected] wrote:Anyway, im opposed to the notion of selecting genes. Mostly because the social divide will turn into a genetic one.

Just let natural selection do it own thing. Its been doing a bang up job on Earth for 3.5 billion years.

I hear what you're saying Coops, but social divides have existed since the dawn of man so what makes a social divide due to a persons' genes any different to those pertaining to a person's physical appearance or financial status?

The human brain has evolved over time for the survival of our genes into successive generations (see The Selfish Gene by Dawkins). Would it not be wise, then, to use what we have discovered in genetics to prolong our lives?

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:40 am

moreorless wrote:

Maybe genetic profiling isn't such a bad idea after all. Embryo screening could ensure that the Hairy_Joseph's of the world never saw the light of day - as long as they can identify the genetic code for useless waste of space.

I'm sure all we would see is Junk DNA :wink:

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:55 am

[email protected] wrote:

I think natural selection for us humans has pretty much run its race.

Whose got time to wait around for some genetic mutation to deliver us lungs to breath in low or even zero oxygen atmospheres when we can just grow some in the lab and transplant them instead?

I mightn'd like it but thats how I think it will prolly unfold.

:shock:

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:05 pm

Damage wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

I think natural selection for us humans has pretty much run its race.

Whose got time to wait around for some genetic mutation to deliver us lungs to breath in low or even zero oxygen atmospheres when we can just grow some in the lab and transplant them instead?

I mightn'd like it but thats how I think it will prolly unfold.

:shock:

Now you're talking Damage :wink:
Have you checked out this week's New Scientist? See 'Why we must leave earth'.

Gluttony

Re: Genetics is about to get personal...

Post by Gluttony » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:20 pm

Chamberess wrote:It's like someone putting your panties in the paper for the whole world to see.

I've heard from reliable sources about your arse, that there's no way your panties could be squeezed across two pages of the Australian.
:mrgreen:

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:23 pm

i guess the secret is out then that i have a massive bum :roll:

special_k
regular

Post by special_k » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:10 pm

Chamberess wrote:i guess the secret is out then that i have a massive bum :roll:

Is it Victoria's secret? 8)

My take on the whole genetic engineering thing is of-course there are ethical issues but my gut feel is that we are going to have to go for it big time........ some nasty surprises maybe just around the corner .....disease and environmental-wise. Just hope some standards of compassion and intelligence prevail........

Hairy_Joseph

Post by Hairy_Joseph » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:16 pm

Oh, i assure you Gentlemen and Lady, the truth about me would prove painful far beyond the combined emotional and physical injuries you have each sustained in your pitiful lifetimes. Do not assume that, because I can be abusive and immature, I am a hormonally driven 15 year old. I assure you, the truth is quite different from that which you have imagined. Chamberess should be quite embarassed for attempting to conduct, yet again, a forum discussion about which she has very little knowledge in an embarassing attempt to appear worldly and wise. Let me redirect you with my own cut-and-paste topic, in an attempt to appear intellectual. I'm not sure if you guys are aware, but:

In the thymus, immature T cells expressing self Ag-specific TCR are deleted during development. This is called negative selection and is a major mechanism to prevent autoimmunity. Consequently, mature T cells bearing foreign Ag-specific TCR are selectively exported to the periphery where they reside in a naive state until they encounter foreign Ags. Usually, naive T cells do not express IL-2R. After antigenic restimulation, they secrete IL-2 and express high affinity IL-2R, which is composed of IL-2R-chain, IL-2Rß-chain and common -chain, which enables IL-2 to be used as an autocrine growth factor (1). Such TCR-dependent, IL-2-mediated proliferation results in clonal expansion of invading foreign Ag-specific T cells, which is a hallmark of acquired immunity.

I think this is a very important social issue. Moreover, i believe it is more important to masquerade as an intellectual, rather than actually possess the slightest of intelligent notions. This is the foundation of Australian society, and I have no doubt Chamberess adapted her cheating ways from too many mornings spent in a post-lobotomy-like stupor, absorbing Carl Stephanovic as pretends he has the slightest idea of anything being discussed on the Today show, only interrupting with his patheticly self-defeatist quips.

Hairy_Joseph

Post by Hairy_Joseph » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:19 pm

ps. get that up ya flange.

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:21 pm

[email protected] wrote:Just let natural selection do it own thing. Its been doing a bang up job on Earth for 3.5 billion years.
i'm surprised at you mate ;) don't you think natural selection has been slowed, skewed and/or reversed by the modern world?

* medicines (and availability)
* economics (and socio-economic divide)
* birth rates (variants between socio-economic divides)

i think it has.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:50 pm

[email protected] wrote:I watched Gattaca the other night. Uma was so hot in it.

I liked the rebuild they did on the Rover 3.5V8... nice.