Front shoulder pain.

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

batoes
charger

Re: Front shoulder pain.

Post by batoes » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:46 pm

Beerfan wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:35 pm
batoes wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:10 pm
Yeah - it's weird. No shoulder pain, so they have ruled out frozen shoulder thus far. There was damage to the supraspinatus as well and that's where they think it has come from. Acupuncture has been the only thing to really help. Endone, endep and a range of other drugs didn't do much except make me tired and mixed up.
When it comes good enough to be ready for rehab Baimed in town are genius physios. NRL, A league, NBL players, they've treated everyone. A few surfers there too, in fact there's a signed "thanks for fixing me up" board from Mick fanning up on the wall, among many others.

They even got me back in the water haha

I still go every 3 months
Thanks Beery - did you go Gong or Kiama? I've done a bit, but it had little effect. Acupuncture has been good, which is weird because i didn't give it much cred to be honest!
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:48 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:25 pm
Yeah, my arm went through all sorts of weird shit for about a year. Sitting in a chair could be painful. Elbow would heat up and throb, pins and needles in the fingers, aching shoulder blade. But no real reason for one happening or the other at any time. Still can't wear a wrist watch on that arm.
From all accounts - the shoulder is all guess work...

It sounds ridiculous, but i would much prefer something to be broken, at least then it could be fixed :-?
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:21 am

batoes wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:46 pm
Beerfan wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:35 pm
batoes wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:10 pm
Yeah - it's weird. No shoulder pain, so they have ruled out frozen shoulder thus far. There was damage to the supraspinatus as well and that's where they think it has come from. Acupuncture has been the only thing to really help. Endone, endep and a range of other drugs didn't do much except make me tired and mixed up.
When it comes good enough to be ready for rehab Baimed in town are genius physios. NRL, A league, NBL players, they've treated everyone. A few surfers there too, in fact there's a signed "thanks for fixing me up" board from Mick fanning up on the wall, among many others.

They even got me back in the water haha

I still go every 3 months
Thanks Beery - did you go Gong or Kiama? I've done a bit, but it had little effect. Acupuncture has been good, which is weird because i didn't give it much cred to be honest!
Definately the gong one mate. Yeah I found acupuncture worked on my elbow tendinitis when nothing else did. Months of annoying pain 75% gone within a few sessions. If it works who cares haha

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:45 pm

no more shoulder pain.

been trying to maintain scapular stability and thoracic mobility.

where you at Buddy?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:52 pm

Good job.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:04 pm

been more than a year since the shoulder pain, more than a year since the last episode of acute low back pain.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

--++sunstroke++--
Owl status

Post by --++sunstroke++-- » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:14 am

Hang on a sec, are we talking front shoulder, or front bottom?

Need clarification to provide clinical diagnosis.
What's the difference between Elizabeth Warren & Kamala Harris?

One's pretending to be an Indian & the others pretending she isn't!

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:14 pm

Shoulders been playing up from too much paddling. Also trying to get up on the fish seems to knock it around. Had a rest for three days now and a few stretches and it's starting to feel a bit better. Probably go for a paddle tomorrow.

Basically getting up is getting harder as I get older particularly in the fickle conditions around here. Particularly on the fish. If it's a clean take off its okay but a few false starts where the wave backs off when your halfway up really puts pressure on my shoulder.

Generally speaking after a couple of days I've got to do a lot of stretching because my back gets stiff and then that puts more pressure on my shoulder. Might look into more yoga I think. The Pilates I do gives me good core strength but it's not really stretching and loosening up my joints.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:58 pm

You reckon you could try 2-3weeks without alcohol and see if you notice any difference?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:23 pm

For shoulder pain caused by too much surfing. Yeah, I'm sure that would really work, Buddy.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:00 pm

Well, there can be multiple factors contributing and extra inflammation from alcohol or inflammatory diets can be one of them. I’m not saying it is but you could test it.
So you might have some impingement, repetitive strain etc, sure, and the best way would be to remove all contributing factors, but it’d be interesting to test this while keeping up the surfing.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:56 pm

Mate, I've had a number of trauma injuries to my left arm. I'm looking at specific exercises to improve flexibility and alleviate soreness in the joint. Saying get off the piss for two weeks is not a good opening gambit.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:28 pm

Have you been to a physiotherapist Beanie?
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:10 am

Cranked wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:28 pm
Have you been to a physiotherapist Beanie?
You spelt Pissyoldtherapist wrong.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:25 am

Beanpole wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:56 pm
Mate, I've had a number of trauma injuries to my left arm. I'm looking at specific exercises to improve flexibility and alleviate soreness in the joint. Saying get off the piss for two weeks is not a good opening gambit.
Well of course you should see someone, not the best to give advice on something not in front of you except what’s safe and broad for everyone.
I wasn’t telling you to, I was asking if it was something you’d consider.
Just say ‘No, I’d prefer not to do that’.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:59 am

Well, Buddy, I would say chances are it will get better over the next two weeks. Stopping surfing for two weeks might have a bigger effect since that's directly responsible for the situation. Went for a little paddle yesterday arvo.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:37 am

Beanpole gets a little testy when he's been drinking, Buddy.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:02 am

Seeing a physiotherapist was the best thing I did for my torn rotator cuff.

Unlike the GP consultations which are 10 minutes they were 30 minutes - we covered a lot of ground in that time.

She had a working model of all the shoulder bones and muscles and showed me exactly how everything worked and where the tears were (I had the radiology report with me).

She told me straight up she'd have me surfing in 12 weeks time and showed me about 10 gentle exercise that I was to do. She took me through each exercise and gave me printed copies of each.

I saw her every 2-3 weeks and told her how it was going and she changed and introduced new exercises as appropriate.

Everything worked out exactly as she said. Horses for courses, she was confident and spot on.

$80/session, best money I've ever spent.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan