Cronulla Point 60 - 70s

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:22 pm

Hi Agro which one, there where a few in the 60's and on week-ends in summer when the bankstown express came to town ( is that thing still running over summer these days) the mid way board rides would sit on the hill just up from northies and stone them as they walked passed on there way up to Wanda and Green Hills.

I remember when they started that up and you would be out for the early not may on the beach untill the first train came in then you would have suddenly 700 people, what seem like one big group walking up the beach, talk about instant crowd. They would have there duffle bags and you could tell the westies from the yellow T shirts they wore, for some reason a lot of them would wear yellow T shirts. And for that reason no one would ever be caught dead in a yellow T shirt that lived in Cronulla, if you got one as a present it would be put in a draw never to see the light of day :lol:

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:34 pm

Hi baldric yeah that was some walk over the dunes and the trail bikes and dune buggies where some times a hazard on week-ends wouldn't see there flag and you didn't hear them untill they where almost on top of you because of the wind had a few close calls.

Made a sand ski in woodwork and used to slide down some of those big dunes on flat days it was a bugger getting back up them.

Did you ever go out to the mud flats.

baldric
barnacle

Post by baldric » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:38 pm

Last edited by baldric on Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:59 pm

The road that went out to Kurnell was it called Captian Cook or Cook Drive back then and about half way or so to Kurnell a track was on the left hand side that you could drive a car down on to the mud flats guys would tire rope to the backs of there cars and get a few willing people to hang on and dragged them through the mud Some pretty outrageous driving performed down there.

baldric
barnacle

Post by baldric » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:11 pm

Last edited by baldric on Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

zzz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by zzz » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:26 pm

heheh - its funny you're all mentioning names of different people you knew from the past saying this bloke was ok, that one was a prick etc. but for all you know any of the people logged on here that you're talking to could be one of the ones you just insulted. :lol:

Surely there's a fair chance some of you blokes have crossed paths with each other in days gone past given the shared memories.
"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris

baldric
barnacle

Post by baldric » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:37 pm

Last edited by baldric on Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:06 pm

Johnny T*ll*ts*n would punch through fences as he walked from Vaucluse High to the beach, and if we were with him we saw the brutality of his assault on gays or pretend bikers as he slathered his bloody way through the mobs that gathered across the road from the Bondi milkbars to where they faced eachother off in the infamous bodgie surfer wars.

The Sunday papers got the last whispers of this uncommon surfing bloodlust - and everytime I see or hear of someone like Ian Roberts (ex rabbitoh ) - and despite the fact that I will never understand what he is - I can come to grips with what pisses him off.

If it's queer .. Kill it ! .. In the 1960's not everything was golden

larry
Last edited by Larry on Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

One Mile Point
Snowy McAllister

Post by One Mile Point » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:11 pm

i hate that fuken homo

phil osofer
regular

cronulla mid 70's

Post by phil osofer » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:23 pm

The old guy who would take photo's of the surfers at Cronulla was Jack Jamison. Most people called him Jack "Boo" because he would greet you by saying "gidday Boo how are you" while making a circle with his 1st finger and thumb.Most surfers thought he was an old poof,but basicly he was just a harmless loner who was traumatised as a 'prisoner of war'.I remember he lived at Oatley and everyone would bludge money and ciggaretes off him.I also remember Brad Sharp for the same reason as Baldric. him and his gang of mates bashed up a friend of mine,ten against one.Unfotunately he still surfs as I saw him at Noosa afew years back.

baldric
barnacle

Post by baldric » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:14 pm

Last edited by baldric on Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:39 am

its funny that different generations have similar things happen.
there was a guy in the early 90's that would take photos of some of the boogers, he was an optometrist from memory, i know his name, though wont print it.
he would walk around cronulla in his maccramed shirt and take pics of the boys, the lifeguards were onto him though.
although he seemed very gay, he may have been genuine about his "surf photography" however these days you never know.
remember when the mall had traffic lights at the cinima end? that was real cronulla to me.
same with joes milk bar.

for year 12 in 93 i did an assignment on the overdevelopment of cronulla, i went around taking pics of all the old buildings that i knew were going to be pulled down.

i got joes milk bar, my mates grandparents place next to the rsl, wanda milkbar on the hill, the block of flats behind the cinimas that we got pissed at a few times, the old workers club i think, and a few other gems.

northies is a joke these days, i once went in the old one wearing flippers because the bouncer said i had to have shoes on, lol. oh it hurts im laughing to much
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

baldric
barnacle

Post by baldric » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:52 pm

Last edited by baldric on Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:55 am

Quote used to be a bloke called Bob Radical

Yeah I remember him going out at northies one day when it was just 10 foot close outs ( pre leg ropes) and when he took off on a wave would do about 8 turns rocking his board from rail to rail before he got to the bottom. As you said he didn't have a great style but turned his board quicker than any one else back then.

My first leg rope did the same thing put a hole in the fin tied some rope to it and use a handkerchief to tie around my ankle, must of add an extra 3 inches to my right leg using that.You where right with the Ampol wax hopeless but other than candle wax that was it.

I do rememeber a surf shop on the Kingsway near the cinema can't remember the name but do remember drooling over a board they had on display in the front window everytime I went passed it untill someone bought it.

Went out to G&S just after they opened up and you could buy a clear board off the rack for $60 or get a custom for $75.

Just on the Manly bashings, got to here a bit about that when I lived in DY
as it was similar to the the bikes coming to Cronulla seem it was the Town Hall sharps (remember them like in Clockwork Orange) apparently as the story goes 2 ferry loads turn up around 5pm and they just worked there way from the wharf down the corso to the beach just going anyone with blond hair or looked liked they surfed untill work got out of what they where doing then it became a mini war with them being forced back to the wharf to get the ferries back to Sydney.Bit of blood split that day.

And don't mind the ramble this is working better than the shock therapy :lol:

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:11 am

That will keep the kids thinking trying to figure what a sharpie is. I got chased by the Hornsby sharps when I was a kid. They used to drive down looking for long blonde haired kids and bash them. Nice bunch of people.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Morty
regular

Post by Morty » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:35 pm

Hey Baldrick, 5 Summer Stories is out on Video, but dont think on DVD. You know they re-edited it about 7 times over 10 years or so, so it's probably not the original anymore. I've got the Vid if you wanna loan.
Also, Kurnell Point is still surfed in the big stuff. We check it when the beaches are out of control. Usually boogers and 4ft, 5stone kids on 5'5" sticks.

baldric
barnacle

Post by baldric » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:15 pm

Last edited by baldric on Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:03 am

Morty wrote:Yeah, I ride a Mal, and surf the Nasho a fair bit. Pregnant right now, so haven't surfed for a few months.....talk about cravings! So if you ever see me and my husband out, say hello. I ride a red and white Jackon mal, and husband is on a yellow and red jackson or jim banks mal.
congrats on the pregnancy Morty, keep the stories coming.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"