Nth NSW sharks. Can they p!ss off already?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Re: Nth NSW sharks. Can they p!ss off already?

Post by swvic » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:48 pm

@ gstq, :lol:
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:47 am

85 new smart drum lines to be rolled out

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-02/n ... es/7895736

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:05 am

Footage yesterday of a white in kneedeep water off Lennox beach
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:09 am

Is this peak time you think? GWS in knee deep water...fuck that.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:11 am

Saw that footage, on the northern star but I can't make a link to work.

It's an eye opener.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:19 am

Young juve having a cruise.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:29 am

...for legs.

I love Autumn and Winter

the prawn
Duke Status

Post by the prawn » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:08 pm

It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:52 pm

First cube monkey or backpacker that gets bit will see nets go in.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:46 pm

Agreed and a part of me kinda feels sad that as a society we dont feel regional lives are worth saving however you have to look at the economics of it. They just don't put enough in to make it an investment worth making. Sad but true.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:05 pm

Isn't more that most North Coast residents don't want kilometres of indiscriminate killing machines anchored just off their shoreline. The powers that be don't seem as philosophically opposed, but they won't go against such a strong community sentiment.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:09 pm

Lives vs. Cash. Jaws unfolding.
Last edited by Davros on Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:10 pm

steve shearer wrote:First cube monkey or backpacker that gets bit will see nets go in.
Even quicker if a relative of the mayor.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:23 pm

foamy wrote:Isn't more that most North Coast residents don't want kilometres of indiscriminate killing machines anchored just off their shoreline. The powers that be don't seem as philosophically opposed, but they won't go against such a strong community sentiment.
The problem with regional residents though, in particular Lennox Head is that they tend to be much more inclined to listen to hearsay and fable rather then researched based fact.

"My dads mates a fisho and he reckons" or "Shearer who lives on the hill says". A lot of poor uneducated people with emotions running high.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:27 pm

Following a spate of shark attacks, the WA government introduced a 13-week trial in January [2014], where 72 baited drum lines were set off Perth and South West beaches. More than 170 sharks were killed on the drum lines, but none were great whites.

The Barnett government applied to Federal Environment Minister Greg Hunt to continue the shark cull for three years, but it hit a snag when the Environmental Protection Authority rejected the proposal.

Premier Colin Barnett said in a release on Friday, WA had withdrawn its application to get federal government approval to place baited hooks off the WA coast.

see http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/barne ... 1b6it.html
I wonder what the Environmental Protection Authority will do in the NSW situation? I think those fishermen involved, supposedly, were also towing the sharks out to sea as well
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:32 pm

Shark nets are the cheaper option. The whole netting program from Wollongong to Newcastle supposedly only costs about 1.5 million per year. 100 smart shark drums with the costs of having quick response people and equipment for tagging, relocating, monitoring etc would probably cost more and be much more of a headache to administer.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:39 pm

I reckon this is the main reason the protection measures were shelved:
SBS 1 FEB 2014 - 2:11 PM UPDATED 1 FEB 2014 - 7:21 PM

The biggest event was at Cottesloe Beach, one of Western Australia's most famous beaches, where more than 6,000 people gathered.

They're calling on the government to stop the use of baited hooks placed one kilometre off the coast and killing certain sharks larger than three metres.

One shark has already been killed under the policy and another was found dead on a hook this morning after hooks were set off the coast for the first time yesterday.

Protester Craig Berry says the government is taking the wrong action following seven fatal shark attacks in three years.

"I don't feel it makes our beaches any safer," he told SBS. "In fact I feel more threatened by having baited hooks out there when I want to enjoy the ocean and I think a lot of people feel similarly.

"I think the number of sightings we have of sharks shouldn't be reported as horror stories, but the sign of a healthy eco system and most of our interactions with sharks are positive."

The policy was introduced after a fatal attack off Gracetown in November, and targets tiger, bull and great white sharks longer than three metres that come within a kilometre of the shore.

Sea Shepherd Managing Director Jeff Hansen says the support from people all over the world has been humbling.

"Ten years ago we may have only had a handful of people on the beach speaking out for sharks and now we've got regular people - mums, dads, average people that aren't working in conservation, talking about biodiversity, talking about apex predators and talking about the importance of sharks in our oceans," he told SBS.

"People are saying an ocean without sharks is a planet without people. We need to give them the respect they deserve and that's really humbling and encouraging to see that."

see http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014 ... ull-policy
My position is, and always has been, that human lives matter more than shark lives. The oceans cover 71 percent of the Earth's surface, netting a few miniscule parts of it to protect human life is OK by me. It has proved extremely effective in Sydney (55 deaths pre-netting, none after) and Durban which were once, and overwhelming, the most dangerous places in the world for shark attack deaths
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:25 pm

Cranked wrote:I reckon this is the main reason the protection measures were shelved:
SBS 1 FEB 2014 - 2:11 PM UPDATED 1 FEB 2014 - 7:21 PM

The biggest event was at Cottesloe Beach, one of Western Australia's most famous beaches, where more than 6,000 people gathered.

They're calling on the government to stop the use of baited hooks placed one kilometre off the coast and killing certain sharks larger than three metres.

One shark has already been killed under the policy and another was found dead on a hook this morning after hooks were set off the coast for the first time yesterday.

Protester Craig Berry says the government is taking the wrong action following seven fatal shark attacks in three years.

"I don't feel it makes our beaches any safer," he told SBS. "In fact I feel more threatened by having baited hooks out there when I want to enjoy the ocean and I think a lot of people feel similarly.

"I think the number of sightings we have of sharks shouldn't be reported as horror stories, but the sign of a healthy eco system and most of our interactions with sharks are positive."

The policy was introduced after a fatal attack off Gracetown in November, and targets tiger, bull and great white sharks longer than three metres that come within a kilometre of the shore.

Sea Shepherd Managing Director Jeff Hansen says the support from people all over the world has been humbling.

"Ten years ago we may have only had a handful of people on the beach speaking out for sharks and now we've got regular people - mums, dads, average people that aren't working in conservation, talking about biodiversity, talking about apex predators and talking about the importance of sharks in our oceans," he told SBS.

"People are saying an ocean without sharks is a planet without people. We need to give them the respect they deserve and that's really humbling and encouraging to see that."

see http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014 ... ull-policy
My position is, and always has been, that human lives matter more than shark lives. The oceans cover 71 percent of the Earth's surface, netting a few miniscule parts of it to protect human life is OK by me. It has proved extremely effective in Sydney (55 deaths pre-netting, none after) and Durban which were once, and overwhelming, the most dangerous places in the world for shark attack deaths
Yes. Reunion as the alternative.
Erase.