Gary McNeill

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Re: Gary McNeill

Post by Davros » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:21 pm

Misread Drailed post. Deleted my response. Fish harder to drive towards the lip back hand I find.
Last edited by Davros on Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:42 pm

saltman wrote:Jam71 what was wrong with the quartet. I thought you were liking it
Nothing wrong, I just fell in love with speed & lift from torus channels:)

I just preferred riding my tt so I ordered a cv2 because they have similiar dna to the tt & also preferred that over the quartet. Don't get me wrong the quartet is a solid performer but it didn't light my fire the same way as the tt. The tt just puts a smile on my dial whereas the quartet felt just ok.
I found the quartet to be almost as neutral as a McCoy as in it sat perfectly in the pocket maintaining speed but not accelerating and certainly not accelerating out of each turn. With those fins there was no slide or whip which is often required in dodgy GC beachies.
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:46 pm

I agree on the quartet, but I personally find on my particular Quart like a bonzer if you get the foot right on sweet spot over the fin cluster it comes alive, a little off and it's more a trimming ride. All the Quartets seem a bit different being hand shaped so certainly not disagreeing with you Jam or questioning the view of the quartets ride as I agree about the speed being constant etc

Also finding its better in flatter waves with the rounded square where the rail on the Mc Neills look like performance boards in comparison. Anyway back to the Mc Neill's.

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:54 pm

I didnt really put enough time in on the quartet & could ve kept it for points. However, it looks like it didnt work out for the guy i sold it to either as it was listed on gumtree yesterday!

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:12 am

It's a Quartet Fire Sale!!

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:04 pm

What you guys think of a bit of flex in your twin fins?? Jeff Mccallum do a keel set...

http://theshopnextdoor.com.au/products/ ... allum-twin
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:18 am

Quartet footage.

http://sunhousesurf.com/post/9065092177 ... pj-quartet

Not flag waving. I get what people are saying. Very subtle concaves is true.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:40 am

good observation..I missed that

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:51 pm

Very interesting observation. I found the quartet i loved had much more pronounced bottom contours, not unlike my squail, which is an excellent board. My 2+1 has a noticeable double concave and is a positive board in the right kind of waves. The quartet i sold was so subtle it felt flat.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:51 pm

hmmm I have an NPJ 2+1 with pronounced double coming out of the of a thinish square tail, love that board. I have another NPJ 2+1 with a much more subtle concave and I'm so so about it......

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:54 pm

Batoes, dont muck about - get the rasta keels.

Felt way better.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:14 pm

you think they'll go good in the CV2?
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:21 pm

aaaaah ok, sorry I thought you were getting a tt. No idea re CV2.

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:05 pm

Did u get some fins derailed? I have some sea sheps & cv2 & i vê promised Batoes a ride report....when The waves improve i ll give them a go (its been fairly average recently)

My quartet had very subtle bottom concaves as well. It seems obvious, after seeing NPJ surfing backhand barrells on one of the points up here over the summer u have to surf quartets like NPJ! He surfs barrells very skilfully & guides The quartet perfectly. He makes these boards for his surfing & he is a very good surfer

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:08 pm

Thinking about it he might have been riding a duo but my Point is The guy has great style & positioning plus incredible tube riding skills

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:11 pm

Yeh he is a pretty awesome surfer

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:16 pm

Yeah Jam71, bit the bullet and got some sea shep keels today for the tt. Just looking at the fin in the board snd it just looked so much more "right". Pretty big old wide board and the aipas looked tiny.

Waves were high tide wobblers so weird and hard to tell but a massive improvement for me. More drive, hold, speed and control and didnt find at all too tracky or stiff.

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:19 pm

Drailed wrote:Yeah Jam71, bit the bullet and got some sea shep keels today for the tt. Just looking at the fin in the board snd it just looked so much more "right". Pretty big old wide board and the aipas looked tiny.

Waves were high tide wobblers so weird and hard to tell but a massive improvement for me. More drive, hold, speed and control and didnt find at all too tracky or stiff.
Cool! The sea sheps are a nice fin and I used them in my tt for a couple of months last year. You ll really appreciate them in faster walled up waves I am sure. I like the aipas because I mostly ride the tt in beachies & I am only 70kg. Cuttlefish (who surprisingly hasn't chipped in given his fin fetish) is about 110kg prefers a sea shepherd type keel in his tt for the Maroochydore beachies