Just general surfing stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: Butts, beach_defender, Shari, collnarra, Forum Moderators

User avatar
pinhead
barnacle
Posts: 1550
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:16 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by pinhead » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:50 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:11 am
I ride my tuflite " midlength" 90% of the time.
Beanpole outs himself as adult learner.
Thud wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:27 pm
I remember a pile of mulch we had once

Beanpole
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 33931
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Counting fins

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:37 pm

Yep, still learning after 50 years surfing.

User avatar
Thud
Owl status
Posts: 3809
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Thud » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:58 am

Kunji wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:35 pm
Thanks for all the info and discussion fellas!
You see what you get when you mess with the Orphan's. You see!!
Ultimately a hero is a man who would argue with the gods, and so awakens devils to contest his vision.

User avatar
Thud
Owl status
Posts: 3809
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Thud » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:57 am

Slobadan Madicubich wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:39 pm
No Pants Lance wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:28 pm
i have about 8 seconds before deciding, nah, fcuk it, why even bother responding to his posts.
Congratulations on spending the same amount of time on a rebuttal yet achieving nothing
Ah yes, the Beanpole Paradox. One of my favourite things on RS.
Ultimately a hero is a man who would argue with the gods, and so awakens devils to contest his vision.

Beanpole
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 33931
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Counting fins

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Beanpole » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:08 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:24 pm
Beanpole wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:11 am
I've got about eight surfboards.
WTF can't you count them? Nobody has "about eight" of anything
Well I ncluded my old 60s Pig Board which is completely fcuked but still sits at the back of the pile. I would say rack but there isn't one. Also an old Local Knowledge that I haven't ridden in years. So I'm balancing actually having the boards with actually intending to ride them.
Boards I actually ride would sit around four to five.

Beanpole
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 33931
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Counting fins

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Beanpole » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:09 am

Thud wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:57 am
Slobadan Madicubich wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:39 pm
No Pants Lance wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:28 pm
i have about 8 seconds before deciding, nah, fcuk it, why even bother responding to his posts.
Congratulations on spending the same amount of time on a rebuttal yet achieving nothing
Ah yes, the Beanpole Paradox. One of my favourite things on RS.
....or the Skip Paradox.

buddy
barnacle
Posts: 1744
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by buddy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:30 am

Beanpole wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:08 am
Nick Carroll wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:24 pm
Beanpole wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:11 am
I've got about eight surfboards.
WTF can't you count them? Nobody has "about eight" of anything
Well I ncluded my old 60s Pig Board which is completely fcuked but still sits at the back of the pile. I would say rack but there isn't one. Also an old Local Knowledge that I haven't ridden in years. So I'm balancing actually having the boards with actually intending to ride them.
Boards I actually ride would sit around four to five.
So is it four or five?

Beanpole
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 33931
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Counting fins

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Beanpole » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:46 pm

Good question. Since you asked:
There's two fish and one gunny shape that are in the maybe category. My fishcuit I rode pretty exclusively for a year and a half. Had some great waves on it but it was ultimately frustrating wave count wise. Gun will probably get sold unless I move somewhere where I'd use it. The other Tolhurst Fish is a project. I repaired it about a year ago and hoped it would be what the fishcuit wasn't. However I haven't really had a great session on it and it's got a few hang ups that if I get the time and place I might work out. So I haven't given up on it.

Carver is always there to up the wave count and perform well in most sized surf. Carver Fish I would probably surf most of the time if I lived somewhere else. Mal is for long point waves. Foamy is for.....in the flags.

User avatar
Hatchnam
Duke Status
Posts: 13326
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:44 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Hatchnam » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:45 pm

buddy wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:30 am
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:08 am
Nick Carroll wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:24 pm
Beanpole wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:11 am
I've got about eight surfboards.
WTF can't you count them? Nobody has "about eight" of anything
Well I ncluded my old 60s Pig Board which is completely fcuked but still sits at the back of the pile. I would say rack but there isn't one. Also an old Local Knowledge that I haven't ridden in years. So I'm balancing actually having the boards with actually intending to ride them.
Boards I actually ride would sit around four to five.
So is it four or five?
I bet you’re sorry you asked.
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

User avatar
Cranked
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 7176
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:52 am
Location: Willetton

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Cranked » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:59 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:46 pm
Good question. Since you asked:
There's two fish and one gunny shape that are in the maybe category. My fishcuit I rode pretty exclusively for a year and a half. Had some great waves on it but it was ultimately frustrating wave count wise. Gun will probably get sold unless I move somewhere where I'd use it. The other Tolhurst Fish is a project. I repaired it about a year ago and hoped it would be what the fishcuit wasn't. However I haven't really had a great session on it and it's got a few hang ups that if I get the time and place I might work out. So I haven't given up on it.

Carver is always there to up the wave count and perform well in most sized surf. Carver Fish I would probably surf most of the time if I lived somewhere else. Mal is for long point waves. Foamy is for.....in the flags.
Beany, I think what's needed here is a spreadsheet with a column for each board and a row for each day in which you can enter the number of hours ridden for each board.

Can you keep it for the next year or so and we can determine various statistics for each board. Maybe you could also enter the number of waves ridden, length of ride and number of turns.

This should be very exciting reading! And we can do all sorts of analysis by month/week/season, board, turns, etc, etc.

Thanks.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

buddy
barnacle
Posts: 1744
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by buddy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:15 pm

Hatchnam wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:45 pm
buddy wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:30 am
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:08 am
Nick Carroll wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:24 pm
Beanpole wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:11 am
I've got about eight surfboards.
WTF can't you count them? Nobody has "about eight" of anything
Well I ncluded my old 60s Pig Board which is completely fcuked but still sits at the back of the pile. I would say rack but there isn't one. Also an old Local Knowledge that I haven't ridden in years. So I'm balancing actually having the boards with actually intending to ride them.
Boards I actually ride would sit around four to five.
So is it four or five?
I bet you’re sorry you asked.
I didn't read past the first line of the response.
Put it that way.

Beanpole
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 33931
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Counting fins

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:21 pm

Oh well......get fcuked then.

Beanpole
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 33931
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Counting fins

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:22 pm

Cranked wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:59 pm
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:46 pm
Good question. Since you asked:
There's two fish and one gunny shape that are in the maybe category. My fishcuit I rode pretty exclusively for a year and a half. Had some great waves on it but it was ultimately frustrating wave count wise. Gun will probably get sold unless I move somewhere where I'd use it. The other Tolhurst Fish is a project. I repaired it about a year ago and hoped it would be what the fishcuit wasn't. However I haven't really had a great session on it and it's got a few hang ups that if I get the time and place I might work out. So I haven't given up on it.

Carver is always there to up the wave count and perform well in most sized surf. Carver Fish I would probably surf most of the time if I lived somewhere else. Mal is for long point waves. Foamy is for.....in the flags.
Beany, I think what's needed here is a spreadsheet with a column for each board and a row for each day in which you can enter the number of hours ridden for each board.

Can you keep it for the next year or so and we can determine various statistics for each board. Maybe you could also enter the number of waves ridden, length of ride and number of turns.

This should be very exciting reading! And we can do all sorts of analysis by month/week/season, board, turns, etc, etc.

Thanks.
Sounds okay since every fcuker on here wanks on about there surfcraft indefinitely. Not pointing any fingers of course :-D-:

buddy
barnacle
Posts: 1744
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by buddy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:24 pm

I do enjoy your contributions, beany. But I feel like you trolled me good there.

channels
Owl status
Posts: 4309
Joined: Mon May 10, 2004 4:36 pm
Location: Northen Beaches

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by channels » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:46 pm

I just saw an article on Facebook about abalone season in Perth being cancelled due to swell. Someone referenced kilojoules when talking about swell height.

Cranked has a legion of converts, unless of course it was Cranked.

User avatar
Cranked
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 7176
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:52 am
Location: Willetton

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Cranked » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:59 pm

Huh! What!

Oh yeah, I've been on a speaking tour of the SW
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Beanpole
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 33931
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Counting fins

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:10 pm

buddy wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:24 pm
I do enjoy your contributions, beany. But I feel like you trolled me good there.
:-D-:

User avatar
Thud
Owl status
Posts: 3809
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Thud » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:15 pm

Have a great Vimeo link to 1981 coverage of 2SM Surfabout at North Narra. Runs for approx. 45 mins if anyones interested. Pretty good.
Ultimately a hero is a man who would argue with the gods, and so awakens devils to contest his vision.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests