Just general surfing stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Davros » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:31 pm

Watching a skillful knee boarder is great. Modern kneeboarding sort of gone the way of modern long boarding in that they try to emulate short boarding manoeuvres. Example is Gavin Coleman from a few years back.
Last edited by Davros on Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:33 pm

Beanpole wrote:Gave a guy I worked who knee boarded a vintage slab style kneeboard. He got rid of the fin box and made it a quad I think. I thought it was a shame because it was original condition and I would have given it a crack with a big Flexi fin myself standing up.
Yeah, thats exactly what I'd like not to see happen to that Skipp of Wyre's.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:52 pm

I've known a couple of very good knee boarders very well. Still remember walking up the beach at The Pass many years ago and seeing Peter Crawford absolutely killing a small fast barrelling right through to Clarkes.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:32 am

Beanpole wrote:I've known a couple of very good knee boarders very well. Still remember walking up the beach at The Pass many years ago and seeing Peter Crawford absolutely killing a small fast barrelling right through to Clarkes.
Same, saw him at Crescent, early 80's I think it was, had never seen anyone so fast reacting and energised on a wave.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:51 am

Wyre wrote:So I need my Realsurf brothers' advice here: somehow a few years back I ended up with this 70's Skipp kneeboard with a flex tail. The thing is sick, but I haven't ever really successfully surfed it- I've tried it on a fairly weak swell and I thought it might float and get on waves well being fat as, but I struggled and suspect one needs fins and knees to surf this well. Should I try and swap it at this retro board swap they are putting on at Colefale this weekend?

Might get a sweet 70's thruster or something. Thoughts?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Might be worth something. I have no idea but throw it on gumtree with a silly price and see. If no takers, swap it

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:06 am

Womble wrote:
Heres a shot I took at Yamba last year ...

Nice shot Wombs
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

Wyre
Owl status

Post by Wyre » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:07 am

Thanks, all.

I'll head to the board swap and see if a hipster wants it for his Bertleman thruster.

If not, Gumtree it is!
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:51 am

PC was the catalyst for my earlier forays into kneeboarding. Back then the top kneeboarders like him were so far ahead of the game it was ridiculous.
Kneeboarding has become somewhat of a novelty nowadays, being overtaken performance wise by the modern shortboard ... but the legacy lives on through the ongoing use of design concepts developed by guys like PC. It was Steve Zoeller who inspired Simon Anderson to whack a third fin on his twinny .

Cross pollination in surfing isn't anything new. Neither is guys getting screwed over by selfish individuals. A real bugbear of mine is Peter Drouyn's claim to inventing man on man surfing. He, or she as it likes to be called these days, is no stranger to controversy, having claimed in the past to have quelled the uprising in Hawaii after Bugs got belted. He did this by flying back to Australia immediately after, yeah right. When Bob McTavish released his autobiography, heavily laced with history of the shortboard revolution, Drouyn got all hot under the collar then too, stamping his feet and trying to tell anyone who'd listen that it was him who done the shortboard inventing.
Back to my bugbear ... 1977 and the Stubbies contest at Burleigh, the "first" man on man surfing contest, invented by none other than Peter Drouyn. Well a rarely publicised fact is that the original owner of Frier Tuck Surfboards, one Peter Ware, had successfully implemented a man on man surfing format for a televised kneeboarding contest at Maroubra well before Drouyn ever did. To make matters even worse the organisers of the Stubbies actually flew Peter Ware up from Sydney to explain the concept. After the meeting they said they'd fly him back up (next year?) for the contest. Pete never heard from them again, and surprise surprise if Mr Drouyn didn't take the credit for inventing man on man.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:44 am

A very interesting insight Which just goes to show you can't trust those hot looking chicks - particularly the ones with dicks. Man on man does seem a rather apt descriptor for Drouyn nee Windia's trans curious mindset of that time although you'd need an army of psychologists to argue about that.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:01 am

Wyre wrote:Thanks, all.

I'll head to the board swap and see if a hipster wants it for his Bertleman thruster.

If not, Gumtree it is!
At a garage sale in Bulli. Mt woodgee 80's thruster in average condition for $20. Complete with glass on fins lol

Wyre
Owl status

Post by Wyre » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:18 am

Hmm. Yeah, na..
Sniff wrote:
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

Wyre
Owl status

Post by Wyre » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:25 am

@Womble, yeah that is interesting- I can imagine knee boarding was a hotbed of progressive moves until short boards caught up.

Maybe like bodyboarders might feel a tad hard done by charging all these slabs previously considered unsurfable as a stand up, only to have them wrenched away. "This is Ours now"
Sniff wrote:

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:22 pm

I've heard Mctavish ripped off Neal Purchase Snrs short board concepts, and so it goes on.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:11 pm

....And Midget reckons he invented everything.......but Nat reckons he invented everything......and Dick Brewer reckons he invented everything......and Geoff McCoy reckons he invented everything.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:40 pm

....exactly. It's a complete mongrel of a past time.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:43 pm

Surf looks good in Portugal now
Erase.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:04 pm

Solid, but lots of shutdowns.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:09 pm

BA wrote:Solid, but lots of shutdowns.
Very closey-outy. Yesterday had some good surfing.