snapper pro

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Re: snapper pro

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:56 pm

Well I am very much liking the freeride voice. Well written gentlemen I look forward to further installments.
Erase.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:10 pm

hey Braith, I was gonna use a Wayne Rooney analogy too! but I just couldn't be arsed to write anything last night. (FWIW, mine was centred around your neutering point but taking Medina as the example. My enduring memories of Medina's world champ year are of a metronomic, super safe victory at Snapper and a metronomic, super safe (comparatively, anyway) victory in Tahiti. This is a kid who can land frigging backflips, fer chris'sakes, grinding his way to victory with safety turns. My point was gonna be something along the lines of the WSL risking doing to Medina what English football has done to Rooney - ie turned a precocious 16 year old playing on instinct, the closest England will ever come to a Brazilian street soccer wizard, into the gelded careworn journeyman we see today, 110% red-faced graft with 0% craft. You said it better though. Nice article. You too steve, always great to read the freeride voice)
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:22 pm

Ever surfed Snapper GSTQ?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:35 pm

For those who may have missed Steve Shearer's fine little film of Gabe Kling's last ASP heats, linked to in his FreeRide Voice post, the link is below.

https://vimeo.com/78132407
Last edited by foamy on Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:39 pm

pro surfing and more significantly the upstart shenanigans of shep and bri' bri' are so just out of my mental reach at the moment,... although i hope to podcast them for a suitable time down the line.
lovin' what i'v read so far though.
pro surf situationists rule!!

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:57 pm

godsavethequeen wrote:hey Braith, I was gonna use a Wayne Rooney analogy too! but I just couldn't be arsed to write anything last night. (FWIW, mine was centred around your neutering point but taking Medina as the example. My enduring memories of Medina's world champ year are of a metronomic, super safe victory at Snapper and a metronomic, super safe (comparatively, anyway) victory in Tahiti. This is a kid who can land frigging backflips, fer chris'sakes, grinding his way to victory with safety turns. My point was gonna be something along the lines of the WSL risking doing to Medina what English football has done to Rooney - ie turned a precocious 16 year old playing on instinct, the closest England will ever come to a Brazilian street soccer wizard, into the gelded careworn journeyman we see today, 110% red-faced graft with 0% craft. You said it better though. Nice article. You too steve, always great to read the freeride voice)

I couldn't believe how quickly Medina learned to surf that way.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:49 am

Seditious talk like this will destroy any hope of Nick Carroll return! Perhaps contest could be moved up the highway to wet and wild. Gabby Media (sorry, Medina) can take the biggest waterside drop and be presented with the trophy surrounded by thousands of cheering fans. Merchandise sold at exit gates and the whole circus can move on. Simples.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:02 am

aaarating wrote:Seditious talk like this will destroy any hope of Nick Carroll return! Perhaps contest could be moved up the highway to wet and wild. Gabby Media (sorry, Medina) can take the biggest waterside drop and be presented with the trophy surrounded by thousands of cheering fans. Merchandise sold at exit gates and the whole circus can move on. Simples.
Is there hope of NC returning the old surf industry statesman. Maybe the rebel tour needs to be re-visited.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:32 am

What sort of reaction would an extension of the waiting period get from the local surfing fraternity? More so if the cyclone forming in the pacific delivers and the locals are locked out of the point so they can complete the event.

gcuts
Grommet

Post by gcuts » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:39 am

WOW, I'm surprised more of you are not pissed off the comp might be extended into the swell next week.

I'm not sure what is meant by this:
el rancho wrote:gcuts is it really you?

don't be playing' games now
Do I know you?

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:31 pm

I clearly remember reading a post where NC told everyone who thought pro surfing and contest scoring in general were bullshit and said that surfing was indeed a legitimate sport. And now that all the the surfers have numbers on their shirts like footy players he must have been right? By the way I thought Kelly should have scored a 8.562973 on his wave. And you can't argue with science and maths.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:31 pm

gcuts wrote:WOW, I'm surprised more of you are not pissed off the comp might be extended into the swell next week.

I'm not sure what is meant by this:
el rancho wrote:gcuts is it really you?

don't be playing' games now
Do I know you?

gcuts, welcome brother.

watch out for those big jellyfish okay

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:39 am

Just had a flash of inspiration here guys: with just 16 competitors you can have a mobile comp running according to a rigid schedule.

In advance you can say something like: there will be 6 comps in 2015, they will be held on these days, period. I think everyone can use their imagination to see where it goes from there... myriads of advantages.

This seems an obvious goer to me. The downside? Can't see any major ones ATM, I'm sure a bit of discussion will bring them out though.

Just imagine, the best surfers really surfing the best waves in the world.

Of course there will be qualifying comps etc to get to the top 16.

AmIright?
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:06 am

they f**ked up, there was small but good waves the opening few days they didn't run - and now they've had to extend it. feel sorry for the battlers with limited sponsors who have to pay an extra few days accommodation only to get knocked out in rnd 2.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:41 pm

I think it got extended enjoy sharing your waves with the top 16

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:47 pm

I for one welcome our cashed up surfing overlords in their fancy Audi wagons.

Long may they stay!

Rock on brothers.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:33 pm

Some beanhead in the water says to me he thinks it'll be cool to see the pros surfing the comp when this swell hits ~ after I said wish they'd get lost so we can surf instead.

Looked like he was from Brisbane

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:11 am

el rancho wrote:Some beanhead in the water says to me he thinks it'll be cool to see the pros surfing the comp when this swell hits ~ after I said wish they'd get lost so we can surf instead.

Looked like he was from Brisbane
Did you proceed to punch his lights out? Then send him in.