Midlengths

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Re: Midlengths

Post by Roy_Stewart » Fri May 22, 2015 4:17 pm

Here are the first rides on the board... dropping 3 to 6 feet in length for the first time in about 15 years I wasn't sure if I could go back down in length but part of the brain starts to recall can't wait to get some more waves on it and dial in... catch is this one's off to Bali with someone else and the next one's spoken for too.

At 44 litres i wasn't sure if i could duckdive it, but she was all good on that score, in fact I was enjoying getting caught inside by the bigger sets as I hung inside for the scraps, starting at the bottom as it were.. didn't want to blow it on the peak in front of the crew of 45 the day before the Raglan pro. No mercy next time though :d

https://youtu.be/0K6XYMS3Efo

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Fri May 22, 2015 4:25 pm

huie wrote:for farcks sake roy give it a break
vol reduction was on many shapers minds in the sixty's ( when you were in short pants i would guess) with so much else going on it was an ongoing process,
but i will tell you this an 1.75 thick with fat ends would be laughed at then, ''as it is today''

volume placement is more where you need to look.
'For farcks sake Huie give it a break'... right back at you boy. :D:

The thing about a parallel profile is that it's the same thickness everywhere, so you can't call it fat at the ends at 1.75" and skinny in the middle because it just doesn't make sense... no one's laughing at this board by the way, it was admired and felt up by plenty of the crew at the point.... you are just stuck in your old ways, the old paradigm.... it's the fat in the middle 70's boards which deserve to be laughed at...

... and regardless of what you say none of you have shown me a parallel profile board pre 1994. F c k n LOL :D

The parallel profile gives the thinnest and most flexible board for a given volume, that's a fact and it can't be changed... taper it and straight away you are riding something thicker than you need to... ok if that's what you are into. I'm not.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Fri May 22, 2015 6:19 pm

Here ya go Roy....it's wood....it has a PP....plenty of nose lift ...it's pre '94.........and it has a rubber dodgem car bolted to the deck....very similar to a Future Salmon.... :-D-:
Attachments
119204548.jpg
(23.02 KiB) Not downloaded yet
119204548.jpg
(23.02 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by kayu on Sun May 24, 2015 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

huie
Local

Post by huie » Fri May 22, 2015 7:50 pm

Roy_Stewart wrote:
huie wrote:for farcks sake roy give it a break
vol reduction was on many shapers minds in the sixty's ( when you were in short pants i would guess) with so much else going on it was an ongoing process,
but i will tell you this an 1.75 thick with fat ends would be laughed at then, ''as it is today''

volume placement is more where you need to look.
'For farcks sake Huie give it a break'... right back at you boy. :D:
''boy'' nice compliment roy thanks

The thing about a parallel profile is that it's the same thickness everywhere, so you can't call it fat at the ends at 1.75" and skinny in the middle because it just doesn't make sense... no one's laughing at this board by the way, it was admired and felt up by plenty of the crew at the point.... you are just stuck in your old ways, the old paradigm.... it's the fat in the middle 70's boards which deserve to be laughed at...
you have been using this tactic for many years roy why you do not just post some pics say a few words,
but no its all about everyone is wrong roy roy roy roy? its only last year you were asking stupid questions about glassing,
if you were more able to glean from the time you spent on comp-sand you would be doing your boards 2to 1 fiber to resin in vacuum no sanding required, ''old paradigm will remain'' ---you will slowly learn sony boy

... and regardless of what you say none of you have shown me a parallel profile board pre 1994. F c k n LOL :D
and regardless of wot you might say show me proof of your new paradigm extolling the virtues of all other?

The parallel profile gives the thinnest and most flexible board for a given volume, that's a fact and it can't be changed... taper it and straight away you are riding something thicker than you need to... ok if that's what you are into. I'm not.
i do not remember anyone telling you wot to be into
cheers huie
now retired

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Fri May 22, 2015 9:40 pm

huie wrote:you have been using this tactic for many years roy why you do not just post some pics say a few words,
but no its all about everyone is wrong roy roy roy roy?
You are not very observant Huie, I mentioned parallel profile on this thread merely as an expression of agreement with a post about lowering the centre of gravity, one can't agree with the principle more than by spending 20 plus years using the profile which does the most to lower it.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Fri May 22, 2015 9:43 pm

kayu wrote:Here ya go Roy....it's wood....it has a PP....plenty of nose lift ...it's pre '94.........and it has a rubber dodgem car bolted to the deck....very similar to a Future Salmon.... :-D-:
... except that it isn't a surfboard.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Sun May 24, 2015 3:24 am

Roy_Stewart wrote:
kayu wrote:
... except that it isn't a surfboard.
.....no , but the similarity in design is spooky !
Attachments
MakakaPoint.jpg
(84.7 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun May 24, 2015 7:09 am

The vast majority of surfers worldwide are perfectly happy on fat in the middle boards. They must be all wrong.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun May 24, 2015 10:50 am

Are you meaning parallel profile in terms of the thickness/foil or the planshape?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun May 24, 2015 1:50 pm

Hi Steve, the thickness distribution/profile

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun May 24, 2015 1:53 pm

Beerfan wrote:
The vast majority of surfers worldwide are perfectly happy on fat in the middle boards. They must be all wrong.
An illogical deduction ( yes I realise that it's a sarcastic comment) and FYI boards have tended towards a more parallel (or less tapered ) profile in recent years.

It's just a way of promoting flex and making the board as thin as possible for any given volume... I didn't say that one has to do it to make a board work, ok?
Last edited by Roy_Stewart on Sun May 24, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun May 24, 2015 2:26 pm

Do you think its possible to over analyse and or complicate surfboard design?

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun May 24, 2015 2:54 pm

Not for you by the sound of it.

Generally surfboard design analysis is acceptable if:

a) It makes no sense, thereby lessening the need to think.
b) Is well publicised by respected media outlets.
c) Has 'patent pending' on the same page.
d) Includes dinky diagrams.
e )Doesn't rock anyone's boat.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun May 24, 2015 3:18 pm

Here's another one, same length width and thickness ( 8 by 25 by 1.75 ) as the blue board but this time with the wide point forward:

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Sun May 24, 2015 4:35 pm

DVS Surfskate.....short , midlength or long.....surfblanks pink core....unmatched durability with full "bombproof" deck(terminology only - you could destroy it with a bomb).....good travel boards......DVS carbon quads....single foiled leaders....double foiled trailers....(or vice versa). The board pictured has been hammered over the last year or so around Burleigh area ...she's come up trumps and will head back out after a tidy up.....it's 6ft by 20 1/4" -7lb without wax....anyone interested in a demo ride , just PM.....the 6fter is currently in Currumbin.
Attachments
IMG_3466.JPG
(73.26 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_3466.JPG
(73.26 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun May 24, 2015 8:21 pm

Well people also design rockets that fly into the ground on take off as clever as they think they are and even when their rockets are pretty or ugly as a P76 and prove to be just as functional.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon May 25, 2015 6:16 am

Roy_Stewart wrote:Here's another one, same length width and thickness ( 8 by 25 by 1.75 ) as the blue board but this time with the wide point forward:

How good does a 25" wide board go on a rail?

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon May 25, 2015 6:31 am

Rail feels good, width is no issue, and tail width is normal.

Last edited by Roy_Stewart on Mon May 25, 2015 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.