Midlengths

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

JaM71
charger

Re: Midlengths

Post by JaM71 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:38 pm

Davros wrote:Mids for over 4ft
Yes, & I am looking forward to testing it @ byron with all the hipsters on their expensive rolled bottoms
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:50 am

JaM71 wrote:
Beerfan wrote:You guys are really killing me. Love a good midlength.
Ha ha. Hey beery, I believe that u had an SG as well. I had a 7ft SG for 4 years but this beachbeat pacer egg is a step above. If u get a chance to fondle one, I am sure that u will dig it.

Yeah mate I did. Didn't gel with it as much as I'd hoped. I'm planning a new board from josh next year. Was hoping to go short but this thread is fkukkn me right up. Now thinking pulled in quad egg of around 7'. Damn you guys!!

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:06 am

Beerfan wrote:
JaM71 wrote:
Ha ha. Hey beery, I believe that u had an SG as well. I had a 7ft SG for 4 years but this beachbeat pacer egg is a step above. If u get a chance to fondle one, I am sure that u will dig it.

Yeah mate I did. Didn't gel with it as much as I'd hoped. I'm planning a new board from josh next year. Was hoping to go short but this thread is fkukkn me right up. Now thinking pulled in quad egg of around 7'. Damn you guys!!
You need to talk to cuttlefish about his 7"6 vquad! No problem, just get both :-D-:

Bobby Dazzler
Local

Post by Bobby Dazzler » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:47 am

(not a mid length) but a tasty mick mackine bonzer kneeboard...

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:54 am

JaM71 wrote:
Beerfan wrote:
JaM71 wrote:

You need to talk to cuttlefish about his 7"6 vquad! No problem, just get both :-D-:

Outline pic of the pacer egg?

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:45 pm

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:51 pm

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:58 pm

I like this shot better...
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Beerfan

Re: Midlengthsuad

Post by Beerfan » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:01 am

Oooooh sexy!. I have an eggy quad at the moment as a rehab board, super fun but a little wide for me, although it holds in a sucky wall nicely. Be good to have a pair of 7'0"ers. My current pu/pe one and a narrower JD as well.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:53 am

7'2 Chaos Surfboard on Gumtree http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1065066423

Here's a fun looking board. Would be a great compliment to my 7'7 for when the waves got a bit bigger and more hollow I reckon.

I've noticed a few of these chaos boards on the gumtree and eBay lately. Not necessarily this shape, but have seen an 8'6 , 9'0 and a 9'2 all hardly or not used and for sale within a month of eachother.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:00 pm

Chaos near Curl Curl, he makes really good boards and is a good guy (John) and a ripper test pilot in his own right, make all but mainly short boards.

bomboraa
regular

Post by bomboraa » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:43 pm

Let mate use my 7'2" Campbell Bros Bonzer speed egg for recent bit of swell. He's renovating himself from a shoulder injury but the b'stard was carving very nice on rail lines instantly. He loved it. Was nice to watch the clean arcs of spray from behind as he dominated a peak while I sat trying to grab a wave from the crowd on a shortboard. Last surf I had on it got a rare square barrel and it was so sure footed. Hard to go past these for a refined midlength with a lot of range.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:44 am

How do they go in the lower end, say chest to head high beachies with half decent shape? I see that much fin area and huge concave and think they'd need some push to get going.

bomboraa
regular

Post by bomboraa » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:11 pm

Chest to head high no problems at all. Even waist high waves are a doddle as long as there's some curve in the face. Only thing it doesn't like is fat sloppy faces. But few boards do and it's certainly not a shocker in those conditions. Actually got the board three quarters vertically out of the water above the lip on a waist high close out reo on its first surf cause thought I'd have to put more oomph in the bottom turn than I needed. Two mates who surf better than me were watching from behind and immediately demanded a go on it.
The deep concaves redirect water flow beautifully towards the side fins to give squirt in turns or stability when barrelling.
Has low entry rocker too which I like but steep late take offs a cinch with the eggy nose.
I thought all that fin area would be weird too when I got it, but they are actually really loose, surprisingly loose; those side fins have such cant, and low depth despite their length, that you don't feel you are fighting them when you lay the board over for a turn, or going straight in the curved face of a barrelling wave _ they are sitting upright in the water if that makes sense.
Beautifully foiled, lovely slim rails, despite 2 3/4 thickness, with a hard edge starting a few inches before the front side fins.
It also forgives one of my sins: rear foot a tiny bit too far forward _ the single fin is further forward than a thruster's rear fin. Mine doesn't have the Elevated Wing or E-Wing, just a clean rounded pin true egg outline.
Board is 7'2" x 21 x 2 3/4.
Sorry for the long rave but as you can guess love it and now understand why Bonzer speed eggs have so many seppo disciples.
Last edited by bomboraa on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:19 pm

You're really fucking me up now.

bomboraa
regular

Post by bomboraa » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:31 pm

Ha :-D-: In fewer words: looks complicated, surfs simple.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:41 pm

I understand what you mean mate, I meant you're fkkukking me up because now I want a midlength! I reckon I'll have to work my way back to my shorter boards so may as well get a midlength I'm happy with. Need to do my tax I think

bomboraa
regular

Post by bomboraa » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:57 pm

Was just laughing at myself for frothing! Hope you find a good one.