JBay.

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: JBay.

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:44 pm

channels wrote:I had wondered about AI, and TC to an extent after reading the book, how they managed the comedown during boat trips or remote locations when the gear was most likely not available. Unless of course I am completely clueless (which is highly likely)about how open or available it was.
Well you know an addict can do without his/her substance of choice for long periods if he/she is otherwise engaged. I did a couple of epic surf trips with AI and never saw him do a thing other than have a few drinks (once more than a few). If you've read "TC" you'll know that Tom's addiction waxed and waned over many years and while he had some heavy "comedowns", they were at home, not on a boat trip or whatever.

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:16 pm

Thanks for the honesty Nick. I have never really known an addict closely, although known a few on the periphery, so was not sure of the behaviours and certainly wasn't aware that they can do without for a length of time.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:35 pm

It is hard to know what to do with a friend or family member who is an addict. Rejecting him or her won't help, though sometimes you need distance for self-protection. Lecturing won't help. Getting them arrested is beyond the pale. Then there is the addict's right to their own choices. Plus, your battle fatigue makes you eventually welcome their secretiveness. I think you have to try to stay friendly or loving, while protecting yourself from their worst behaviours. And be sympathetic and eagerly supportive of attempts to quit.

I won't comment on Billabong. Their's was ultimately a professional relationship. If every company sacked every employee who was doing a competent job but was actually an alcoholic, would that be the right thing? I don't think so. There would be a lot of unemployed people.

The word 'Enabler' can be inappropriately derogatory. What, you stop all support? A lot of 'enabling' is what is keeping them alive and in some health.

romak50
regular

Post by romak50 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:43 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Two things: it came to light that AI did want to come clean about his problems in public. In fact he wanted to make some kind of statement via a documentary to try and help others. Why did this not happen?

If AI wanted to get clean that's one thing. Come clean to those close to him would have been a usefull action to take. Comming clean to a public who thrive on new idea type gossip as mentioned already would be hugely inappropriate for his own sake. If the case was that those close to him advised against doing this for his own good, then that was correct advice. If their motive was to protect the bong brand and the pro surfing brand in general then that's advice was given for pretty poor reasons. Either way the fact that he didn't put himself through that scrutiny was the right approach.

Two: why did Bong and a compliant media push out a BS line that he had died from dengue fever when it was obvious that he had not? Why did they try so hard to cover up the truth after the tragic event?
Same as above. If it was an attempt to help AI 's family hold on to some dignity and privacy, can understand it. If it was to protect the ip AI had built up as a brand, for their own interests, then poor form.

The thing about a situation like this, an nick aludes to, is it's almost always un chartered territory and fraught with people making incorrect calls. I just can't figure out who the baddies are in all of this without basing an opinion on heresy.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:58 pm

that angle, the one you get running out to the Point to rock-off.

too much froth.

I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

still here
charger

Post by still here » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:40 pm

No blaming or scapegoat needed when it comes to addictions , it's a full time all consuming personal art , ........ Paul Denny's " when all you do is conveyancing you get very good at it " sort of applies .

Complicated situations for sure , but by the time others could be blamed there's usually one captain and he's sailing his own ship .