post your modern day sickness

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: Butts, Shari, collnarra, Forum Moderators

Thud
Harry the Hat

Re: post your modern day sickness

Post by Thud » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:47 am

Just watched the spiel from the man himself. Looks like a winner mate. Ride report please.
Ultimately a hero is a man who would argue with the gods, and so awakens devils to contest his vision.

channels
Owl status

Post by channels » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:21 pm

Never ridden a single concave so interested in the ride report.

channels
Owl status

Post by channels » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:48 pm

Got this off the gumtree today

black duck
Owl status

Post by black duck » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:36 pm

What dims channels?
Got one of those a little while back. Bought it as a step up - 6'4". Have only ridden it 3 times but I'm not sure about it, feels a little weird, super stiff, rides like it's a 6"8". Looking at it i anticipated it would be a consistent feeling straightforward step up from the board i have, both have similar outlines, rocker, concave and all that shit. It rides way different.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

Thud
Harry the Hat

Post by Thud » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:38 pm

Take it OS BD?
Ultimately a hero is a man who would argue with the gods, and so awakens devils to contest his vision.

black duck
Owl status

Post by black duck » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:45 pm

Na, not yet.
it's designed as a travel board, so I'm told. Glass job feels right, bit heavier.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

channels
Owl status

Post by channels » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:00 pm

Got the 6'6". Been out of the water for 4 months with my shoulder, was looking for something predictable with volume to ease back into it.

Thud
Harry the Hat

Post by Thud » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:27 pm

Spoke to a guy who took his to solid Indo and said he didn't ride any other board the entire time. For powerful waves he gave it a double thumbs up.

channels
Owl status

Post by channels » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:05 am

black duck wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:36 pm
What dims channels?
Got one of those a little while back. Bought it as a step up - 6'4". Have only ridden it 3 times but I'm not sure about it, feels a little weird, super stiff, rides like it's a 6"8". Looking at it i anticipated it would be a consistent feeling straightforward step up from the board i have, both have similar outlines, rocker, concave and all that shit. It rides way different.
Duck, spent a lot of time riding this over the weekend. I see what you mean. Saturday was pretty windy onshore, slightly overhead waves breaking randomly whereas Sunday was a little more consistent, still strong winds but more side/offshore but head high. A couple of years ago, I think this would have been too much board but still building up strength and fitness it was about right. The additional weight of the glass was helpful in the wind, although the volume was a bit of a pain when caught inside.

If I had to compare it to previous shortboards, it's way smoother and less frenetic but harder to gain instant acceleration I think turns would be less radical. I think the consistent rail line, rounded pin and smaller concaves probably all contribute to this. I reckon if you blow a wave on this board, it would be all user error and rarely the board.

I reckon a few on here would hate this board as a daily driver but not a bad option as a bigger guy shortboard or for me building back up. I'm thinking that once I'm at full fitness it will probably go into the rack for winter or better waves.