Post by steve shearer » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:29 am

reckon you could make the drop Beany?

pretty fast and hollow
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: post your modern day sickness

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:42 am

fucken hell that board is gorgeous. Roping here today, not huge or anything but magic clean 3-5', mostly lefts from the swell angle but some rights from a slightly more south bit of it, and the Jed which had felt good in yesterday's tiddlers just came to life.

Beanpole
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by Beanpole » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:22 am

steve shearer wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:29 am
reckon you could make the drop Beany?

pretty fast and hollow
Well, I'm basing it on the only time I've surfed Lennox which was more like the upper shots. The drop on the take off was nice and propelled you into the Bowly section to get barrelled. If it's the inside its straighter and I guess just a fast little runner.
Generally speaking Sydney waves pitch out of deep water more than the north coast.

buddy
Harry the Hat

Post by buddy » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:49 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:53 am
6'2" x 193/4 x 23/8", we had to nudge the width out a touch to get all the curves to fit. There's no hip in the outline or rocker, it's all clean curve. Slight vee under the nose transitioning into single concave naturally foiling out into flat between the front and back fins, tiny flat vee behind the back fin for a moment of release. I don't have a Pyzel, Tom's got a coupla Ghosts and they look good but also a bit clunky underfoot at times, like they need a lot of wave power and open face to work the way you'd want. Not sure it's really a board for Aust east coast surf. I think the one JJF rode to such success here looked a bit different to the production model.
I just got my hands on a chilli fader (thruster only setup). A mate had one and a ghost pro and said they were too similar so I got this cheap off him and it's as new. Has that same continuous rocker, no hip outline you describe. Machado futures fins. Less full in the nose than what I saw of yours on Jed's instagram.

I just surfed it for the first time in clean 2ft sets and it felt really good, predictable, easy paddle, fast off the mark and it both carves well forehand and got good release on backhand snaps. Look forward to getting it in some juicier stuff.

Thud
Snowy McAllister

Post by Thud » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:08 am

let me guess. More foam up front than normal HPSB?
“Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far” — THEODORE ROOSVELT

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:26 am

Thud wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:08 am
I was just starting to get used to my lower rocker and low entry wider nose boards before I left Bali. Basically they paddled in as well as and maybe, just maybe, a little better than my McCoys, but the nose was close to catching on steep takeoffs and they had to be nursed a bit (which is the last thing I want on a heavy takeoff), they did not have near the aplomb of the narrow/high nose lift McCoys that never catch.

Also standing 6"-8" further back on a McCoy makes a big difference,
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

buddy
Harry the Hat

Post by buddy » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:56 am

Thud wrote:
That for me?

Just well balanced, it’s pretty low volume still.

Legion
Duke Status

Post by Legion » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:37 pm

Cranked wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:26 am
I was just starting to get used to my lower rocker and low entry wider nose boards before I left Bali. Basically they paddled in as well as and maybe, just maybe, a little better than my McCoys, but the nose was close to catching on steep takeoffs and they had to be nursed a bit (which is the last thing I want on a heavy takeoff), they did not have near the aplomb of the narrow/high nose lift McCoys that never catch.
They certainly seem to hamper Kelly Slater (Deep Six) and JJF (Ghost) at Backdoor for example. If only those guys were on Nuggets

Thud
Snowy McAllister

Post by Thud » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:30 pm

buddy wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:56 am
Thud wrote:
That for me?

I think JJF boards have foam forward. That’s all. I’ve a Conner coffin board he and Kelly rode in comps with foam forward. And they are easy to ride for an average punter.

buddy
Harry the Hat

Post by buddy » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:37 pm

Thud wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:30 pm
buddy wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:56 am
Thud wrote:
That for me?

I think JJF boards have foam forward. That’s all. I’ve a Conner coffin board he and Kelly rode in comps with foam forward. And they are easy to ride for an average punter.
Nah, just central I think.
Dims written are 6’, 18 7/8, 2 5/16, 27L but I reckon it’s chunkier than it says. Mate sold it partly cos it felt like a touch more volume than he wanted even though it was the same as his last. Good for me.

buddy
Harry the Hat

Post by buddy » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:38 pm

Nick, is your back fin further back than normal on that board?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:40 pm

Legion wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:37 pm
Cranked wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:26 am
They certainly seem to hamper Kelly Slater (Deep Six) and JJF (Ghost) at Backdoor for example. If only those guys were on Nuggets
Good point.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Thud
Snowy McAllister

Post by Thud » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:09 am

Ghost:

The design that JJF rode to his (second) 2017 World Title! The Ghost is a possibly the first truly High Performance board that works great for all levels of surfer and could be considered a one-board quiver for any surf trip with decent to good waves on the menu.

A super versatile board, it has become one of JJF's favorites for all kinds of surf (Margaret River winner, Bells Ollie Oop, J-Bay carves, and even head-high Trestles) and a go-to for many surfers around the world.

Originally designed for performance in hollower, more powerful types of waves, the Ghost has proven to be great for reef breaks, dumpy beachies, and also excels in point waves.

Based off of our Short Cut, The Ghost outline is more refined: it still has the wide point pushed a bit forward of center, but the nose area is kept down and the tail slightly pulled in to help it fit into a tighter curve.
The thickness is also pushed forward, which helps even more with getting you into waves easily, and we kept the tail and rails thinned out to help hold through barrels and turns at speed.

The rocker is med/low through the front half to get you into waves easily and pick up speed quickly. The rear end has plenty of rocker curve for turning control and a snappy responsiveness. Single concave runs through the entire bottom, with a double concave set inside, which equals speed and lift both on a rail and over flat spots while allowing for quick rail-to-rail transitions. The Ghost's combination of rocker and concave makes for high performance handling through a healthy mix of sensitivity and control.

Depending on what you want to ride it in we recommend you order your Ghosts anywhere from your height to 8" over, a 1/4" to 1/2" wider, and 1/8" to 3/8" thicker than your everyday shorty. Stock boards all have 5-fin set up.
Comes with a round tail, but we can custom make it with any tail you like.

buddy
Harry the Hat

Post by buddy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:16 am

Thud, go up to your original post "let me guess. More foam up front than normal HPSB?" and read the post above it.
I'm not talking about the ghost.

Thud
Snowy McAllister

Post by Thud » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:11 am

It wasn’t a post to try to prove you wrong. I just wanted to post something on design about a board people love and seems to be the nexus of modern board design. The ambition is possibly a bit of chat and learning on HP design.

mario

Post by mario » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:09 pm

This ones just under a year old and still looks new apart from the usual compressions . I was with the same shaper ( Warren Carey ) for a very long time and just felt the need to ride something different . After buying a few different brands I came accross a beat up chilli peri peri and instantly gelled with it . So shouted myself this for my birthday .5'10 stock dimensions but went with their strong + inegra cloth for the deck .

Wyre
Harry the Hat

Post by Wyre » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:13 pm

Nice one mario. Bold colours! 😀

I just bought the twin to my Outer Island 6'1".

A 6'5" step up, which I'm hoping to get out in this swell a'coming.

Needs FCS 2 find though, which I don't have.

Any suggestions? Large, I reckon..
godsavethequeen wrote:I wonder if reg is still thrashing the neighbour's elderly poodle with his wattle branch.