Twin fins as go-to boards

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Re: Twin fins as go-to boards

Post by black duck » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:23 am

philw wrote:Last night I dreamt I was ordering a Byrne TC fish from Nick Carrol in his surf shop. He was extremely tall, and disinterested. I was wearing a towel.
WTF should I do?
Go camping with Matticus in his backyard.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

philw
Local

Post by philw » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:16 pm

Nick carolls surf shop was a little like a camping and general supplies shop, but there was a loft area that he seemed keen to protect. Despite him being very tall and disinterested it wasn't intimidating though. He was a little nervous if anything. Something in the loft. What?

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:38 pm

philw wrote:Nick carolls surf shop was a little like a camping and general supplies shop, but there was a loft area that he seemed keen to protect. Despite him being very tall and disinterested it wasn't intimidating though. He was a little nervous if anything. Something in the loft. What?
He was a little nervous if anything.
You were only wearing a towel. That would make most shopkeepers nervous.
Sounds like the loft is a staff only area. On the face of it, Nick the shopkeeper is behaving appropriately and with some restraint.
Do you think you had any shorts on under the towel?

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:56 pm

foamy wrote:
philw wrote:Nick carolls surf shop was a little like a camping and general supplies shop, but there was a loft area that he seemed keen to protect. Despite him being very tall and disinterested it wasn't intimidating though. He was a little nervous if anything. Something in the loft. What?
He was a little nervous if anything.
You were only wearing a towel. That would make most shopkeepers nervous.
Sounds like the loft is a staff only area. On the face of it, Nick the shopkeeper is behaving appropriately and with some restraint.
Do you think you had any shorts on under the towel?
That's a bit wierd & creepy foamy, the pro boner is in a different thread

Back to twin fins then
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

philw
Local

Post by philw » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:50 am

Well, it was a dream based on a realsurf thread so under my towel was my knob, which was also Nick Carroll, and up in the dark loft were the citizens of realsurf, naked, gibbering, masturbating and flinging faeces at eachother in a scene even Jake and Dinis Chapman would be ashamed of.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:23 am

philw wrote:Well, it was a dream based on a realsurf thread so under my towel was my knob, which was also Nick Carroll, and up in the dark loft were the citizens of realsurf, naked, gibbering, masturbating and flinging faeces at eachother in a scene even Jake and Dinis Chapman would be ashamed of.
That's not a dream. That was the Realsurf Xmas Drinks in 2012.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:47 am

Just had the twinny out in perfectly clean 3-4 foot bowling and barreling lefthand peaks. Triangular shaped and running about 30 or so metres. The board goes nuts ! Feels magic backhand. Carves beautifully off the back rail and pivots super tight off the tail. Loose, but really drivey and holds in well. I reckon it'll handle up to 6foot.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:08 pm

Hatchnam wrote:Just had the twinny out in perfectly clean 3-4 foot bowling and barreling lefthand peaks. Triangular shaped and running about 30 or so metres. The board goes nuts ! Feels magic backhand. Carves beautifully off the back rail and pivots super tight off the tail. Loose, but really drivey and holds in well. I reckon it'll handle up to 6foot.
Any chance of a pic
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:16 am

Sniff wrote:

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:12 pm

Has anyone found that twin fins can feel a little "vague" in the barrel?

They feel great sucking in tight to the face and slingshotting rail to rail, continual turning and all that.

But when it's time to get barrelled they can feel a little obtuse. On round throaty ones in particular. Kinda like you're holding your composure, and sure enough you'll make it through. Though there's a distinct lack of feedback, probably due to the lack of centre fin.

Although for the high and tight under the lip type barrels (on almond shaped waves) they feel fine.
Sniff wrote:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:08 pm

Nice board Hatchy. Quality glass job by the looks too. How long is it,6'?
That's a pretty good price for one of those.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:15 pm

It's 6 x 20 x 2.5. So far it's a great board for chomping up beach breaks up to a little overhead. Putting in maximum turns and keeping the flow on the whole time. That's it's bag.

Have also surfed it out at headlands (reef down Illawarra) in the head and a half high plus range. It felt fun taking the highline then cutting back, but again for deep in the pocket and setting up in trough for a tube it wouldn't be my choice of board. I'd much rather the feeling of having a centre fin.
Sniff wrote:

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:55 pm

Been having a blast on the twinny lately. Waist high lumpy slop to clean overhead.

Put it thru the paces last weekend. Found out it can handle a bit of size. 4-5 foot reef bombie. The board felt loose and carvy, but still had a tonne of bite and grip, and plenty of drive.
Sniff wrote:

philw
Local

Post by philw » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:49 pm

If anyone's interested I'm selling my lsd twinny

http://www.lsdsurfboards.com/boards/entry/twinny

Less than a year old, some scratches / wear and tear and one properly fixed ding $440

It's a great board, can handle reasonable size as well as eating up the small stuff. Early entry, high line flow style of surfing, likes a hollow pocket too.

Sale due to limited time for surfing and having a couple of real beaten up go to boards that cover me but aren't worth selling...

Sydney e suburbs pick up only

Pm me if interested

philw
Local

Post by philw » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:50 pm

Oh yeah, it's a 6'0.
I'm about 84/5 kg - it's plenty big enough for me

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:04 pm

Finally ended up getting in touch with that Nigel Beckham dude who shaped those insane twin fins based on the godly. No website, just Facebook. Some ripping looking boards. Twin fin mid lengths, shorties, and longboards with hipped in tight diamond tails and single channels. I'd be tempted to put in a order for something a little down the track.
Sniff wrote:

Wyre
Owl status

Post by Wyre » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:42 pm

Hey don't think I'm going all Morrison on you, but I'm keen to get a twin fin. I've had a go on a Bertlemann reissue and really liked it, but my knowledge is fairly limited.

Found this thread and saw hatchy's Deus board- looks pretty sweet! I like the little stabiliser option on it too.

Still got it hatchy?

Any shaper/co. in particular I should look at? I'm happy to go second hand $400-750
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:42 am

if you're interested in the Deus I'll let you know when I'm soon ready to let it go (prob in about two weeks or so). It's the Chris Garrett rocket fish, but with all the Deus branding, hipster resin tints, cutlap glassing etc. the Rocket fish is one of his prior models, based off the early 80's Town and Country twins that Martin potter was riding, though with massive concave bottom and stabiliser fin.
Sniff wrote: