Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by foamy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:59 pm

Nick, while TC is a 2 time world surfing champion and you've had a day job, I thought you might pip him on paddle board surf skills, but you had no doubt that Tom was the person to take it thru the breakers. Why is Tom so good at surfing a paddle board?

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:18 pm

ajohnsen wrote:And, "If, when you wake up, I'm not here, it's okay, I've just gone surfing, so make yourself breakfast and mum will be home by 7. Okay?"
In the last couple of months I've started leaving my 9yr old daughter on her own while I go for a quick surf out the front.I plonk her in front of the laptop with a movie and off I go. She knows not to turn anything on (stove etc) and not to answer the door. She also knows the neighbours are there if she needs them.

I can't help but feel a little guilty about it but my ability to deal with single parenting has increased ten fold since I've been able to get in the water without organising someone to mind her.
Should I dob myself into DOCS or is it OK you reckon?
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:24 pm

jimmy wrote:
ajohnsen wrote:And, "If, when you wake up, I'm not here, it's okay, I've just gone surfing, so make yourself breakfast and mum will be home by 7. Okay?"
In the last couple of months I've started leaving my 9yr old daughter on her own while I go for a quick surf out the front.I plonk her in front of the laptop with a movie and off I go. She knows not to turn anything on (stove etc) and not to answer the door. She also knows the neighbours are there if she needs them.

I can't help but feel a little guilty about it but my ability to deal with single parenting has increased ten fold since I've been able to get in the water without organising someone to mind her.
I leave my daughter home on her own because I trust her completely. When she was 6, I'd ask her if she wanted to come and pick her brother up from child care, about a 40 min round trip. Most often, she just wanted stay at home and draw. When I got home, that was what she was doing. I think there is also enormous value in them knowing that you can trust them. I don't quite trust my son yet.

It's not illegal in Australia to leave your kids at home on their own. One time, I drove down to Maroubra for an early, before my wife got home from work. I'd briefed the kids the night before, but when I got to the beach, I couldn't do it and drove home to find them still fast asleep.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:51 pm

foamy wrote:Nick, while TC is a 2 time world surfing champion and you've had a day job, I thought you might pip him on paddle board surf skills, but you had no doubt that Tom was the person to take it thru the breakers. Why is Tom so good at surfing a paddle board?
He's no better than me, indeed I am probably a fair bit more skilled than him at riding waves on a paddle board. But I wanted him to finish the race and play a role in the finish that's suited to his surfing skills, and he wanted to do that too, and he did that beautifully. He found a sweet spot forward on the board that'd eluded him in all our paddle training and indeed in the whole race, and sat that thing right in the curve of every wave while people spazzed out all around us.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:06 pm

Nick, this may have been asked, but here goes.

Would you ever be a "guest star" on one of those surf trips to the Maldives ala BL, Mark Occ etc..?

Also when you were on the duries was it Winnie Reds or Blues?

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:26 pm

jimmy wrote:In the last couple of months I've started leaving my 9yr old daughter on her own while I go for a quick surf out the front.I plonk her in front of the laptop with a movie and off I go. She knows not to turn anything on (stove etc) and not to answer the door. She also knows the neighbours are there if she needs them.

My only concern is getting injured and not being able to get back or - worst case - not being in a state to even tell someone. Its good that you have neighbours which, hopefully, she is able to turn to at any time eg if you have been gone for 2hrs (or whatever). But I guess that is the case as a single parent regardless of what you are doing, whether driving to work or surfing.

Different era (and country) but my parents used to go out and leave me at home with my younger sister from about age 10 or so - feed us and say 'go to bed by 9' and we were totally fine. This was pre mobile phones as well. Of course, at that stage I was heading off to watch movies with my friends and going to 'the club' (pool) by myself for hours anyway.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:38 pm

Yep my old man used leave my sister and I in the car with a bag of chips and duck into the pub for an 1hr or 2 to have a few schooies with his mates before heading home to Mum. Different times.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:30 pm

You guys leaving your kids alone are fcuken great

Single parent, jimmy? At 9, she's fine, but you already know that. I don't think you need feel any guilt, you're giving her responsibility, independence and confidence that'll probably be with her for life
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:48 pm

Davros wrote:Yep my old man used leave my sister and I in the car with a bag of chips and duck into the pub for an 1hr or 2 to have a few schooies with his mates before heading home to Mum. Different times.
huh, I remember that too. My dad was a rugby referee, used to take me to the games and let me run around the sidelines for a few hours occupying myself with whatever, then he would head over to the rugby club and bring me some chips while I sat in the car. I was a mad reader, so was more than happy to sit there and read for an hour or two. Although it must have been cold, not that I can remember. Nowadays they see a kid in the car and they call the police and you are arrested, happened to someone in Sydney just the other day

Still, in the 1800s you were signed on as a midshipman at 10 or something and would head out to sea for years on end and fight battles. So its not like we were overly mature back in our day.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:57 pm

Davros wrote:Nick, this may have been asked, but here goes.

Would you ever be a "guest star" on one of those surf trips to the Maldives ala BL, Mark Occ etc..?

No. I can't really imagine anything worse. Well I can, obviously, but jesus christ - a surf trip with a bunch of strangers who have paid you to be nice to them? Think about it. (shudder)

Dunhill Red if you don't mind.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:59 pm

How about Dancing with the stars Nick, would that be more up your alley?
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:24 pm

He he yep that would be the pits. Dunhill, classy.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:45 pm

I take mine down the Point and set em up under a pandanus tree. I can see them and they can see me if something goes pear shaped.
Last time I negotiated a half hour or five waves unless I got a tube-ride in which case I could go and get five more.

That was the day old mate got bitten at North Wall last......... :oops: :cry:
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:39 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Davros wrote:Nick, this may have been asked, but here goes.

No. I can't really imagine anything worse. Well I can, obviously, but jesus christ - a surf trip with a bunch of strangers who have paid you to be nice to them? Think about it. (shudder)

Dunhill Red if you don't mind.

What if they paid you to be brutally honest about their surfing skill. Kind of a "tough love" surf trip?. It'd be a spiritual journey

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:58 pm

steve shearer wrote:I take mine down the Point and set em up under a pandanus tree. I can see them and they can see me if something goes pear shaped.
Last time I negotiated a half hour or five waves unless I got a tube-ride in which case I could go and get five more.

That was the day old mate got bitten at North Wall last......... :oops: :cry:
I would be more worried about pedos than sharks. Nick would you be concerned about a pedo molesting your kids in this situation.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:18 pm

now that is a creepy question

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:19 pm

Really f$ckn weird.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:26 pm

At 8 I was allowed to take the boat for the day with my 6yo brother. Was supposed to be only up the creek but a few times we went a few miles offshore chasing tuna, normally with another boat with a couple of boys the same age.
They knew what we were up to. Pretty difficult to explain why you have a bonito in the boat when you went to check the crab pots.

No fcuking way I'd let my kids do the same.